Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

oh that does look nice, although pretty basic interface (battery read out and you can flash some canned user profiles like beginner and advanced). butā€¦i didnā€™t think the vsc had a bluetooth module on board? does that need to be added?

1 Like

You will need to set the settings for that to work. Surely someone you know has a computer?

Can someone explained batteries to me? Or point me in the right direction to resources that explain what to look for in a battery? Iā€™m not understanding what 12s4p means vs 10s3p for example. What do those letters/numbers mean, and how does it effect the performance of the board? Thanks

Whatā€™s the right gauge wire for BMS balance wires?

With the bluduino, it would be straight forward (though not easy). VESC has UART, and Iā€™m pretty sure bluduino does as well, so youā€™d just need to interface with that and then bluetooth to the phone. Probably a little more work than itā€™s worth, especially since thereā€™s a few good apps being developed around here that can interface with simple bluetooth chips.

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a specific BMS wire gauge size. Iā€™d say around 24 gauge or so would be fine

12s4p means 12 cells in series (end to end) and 4 in parallel (next to each other). think 12 x 4 grid = 48 cells. 10s3p just means 10 in series and 3 in parallel. Higher series number means more cells end to end and thus a higher voltage. Higher parallel number means more cells across and longer runtime (for the same series count)

I have a build with a 280kv 5055 Turnigy Aerodrive, a 150A Turnigy Trackstar car ESC and two 5Ah 20c lipos in series. The drive train is a 15/35 9mm belt on 70mm wheels. I didnā€™t know anything about this stuff when I bought the parts and as you can imagine there is room for improvement on the board. I cannot go full throttle up hill as the belt skips. I think my mount is a little too weak and bends under the torque. I cannot start from a complete stop. Its hard to get a smooth ride and the ESC has a boost feature I cannot disable which is scary as f%#k. To sum it up, the build is a little rough around the edges, but once up to speed it runs good (and fast) and it breaks good.

Now to my question. What would be your primary upgrade? VESC? Dual motors to eliminate belt skipping? Lower kv motor for more torque?

ItĀ“s hard to tell, with so many not ā€œoptimalā€ parts :smiley: IĀ“d buy a second motor for a dual setup and upgrade to vesc. I think this is the best option for you.

1 Like

Hey,

yesterday Iā€™ve ordered my first VESC :)! However my current setup is 6s2p with an SK3 50mm 320KV motor. I was wondering if changeing to a lower KV motor (SK3 5055 280KV) would make the setup a bit more VESC friendly or would just be throwing away 50eur for nothing? I know preferably Iā€™d also go with a bigger battery like 8s or 10s but Iā€™d first like to work with what I have. Any insight woud be greatly appreciated thanks!

320kv is okay for the VESC if you stick with 6s forever. If you can get even lower than 280kv it would probably be better, especially if youā€™re going to change your battery in the future. If youā€™re looking at 10s, Iā€™d go all the way to around 180kv

3 Likes

I am in the process of building my own electric longboard. As I live in Norway it is problematic to get alot of the parts. If Iā€™m ordering from the UK or something like that, the shipping is too expensive. I am getting alot of the parts from Asia with free shipping. My question is wether or not this motor: http://tinyurl.com/j8utyp7 would be a reliable option. I am using it together with the Flycolor 150A ESC for RC boats. Will there be any problems here, and what battery setup should I go for?

Getting from Asia isnā€™t necessarily a bad thing, but you have to be really careful about quality. Itā€™s definitely a false sense of saving money as youā€™ll get something, it will likely break, and youā€™ll have to replace it costing even more.

With that said, I donā€™t see any obvious issues with that motor, but I would encourage you to try and find a European reseller of a proven motor. I donā€™t know much about the resellers over there, but you can start here: http://eu.electric-skateboard.market/

I would caution you away from that ESC. The VESC is the favorite here because itā€™s extremely robust and can handle what weā€™re doing with them. Thereā€™s a few car ESCs that have been used without many issues, but I would not recommend any boat ESC.

1 Like

So I have my batteries set up in series, I got a light up push button, a battery percentage reader, waiting on my vescs and hubs. Is there a diagram of some sort to see which order all these parts go in?

Take a look at this thread, Iā€™m sure you will find one you like.

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome. Thanks

No worries. If you donā€™t find what your looking for let us know. Iā€™m sure someone can throw a diagram together.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for a 10S bms. Should I go for one with separate charge/discharge ports or just one? Pros and cons?

I have a charger I use for my quadcopter lipos, i206b with an external PSU. It is rated for up to 6s and 20amps. If I wire two 5s (21v) 5000mah lipo batteries in series to give me 10s (42v) and 10000mah, can I make a charge port on the board to charge the batteries using my balance board as they were a single 5s?

What is the difference between caliber 1 and caliber 2 trucks ?

Would this work for 2 6s 20c 3000mah batteries in series? https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/1930212978.html?trace=storeDetail2msiteDetail&spm=2114.12010612.0.0.APaWDC#autostay

So you want 12s @Sapphirinia?