Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

oh yeah, like this one

looks like the BMS literally only interracts with the cells through the negative lead, which is interesting, for some reason i thought it would be more complicated and need to be in series with both VSCs or something. and he just straight up solders the leads oh the packs together, no funny buisness. Looks almost easy?

Thanks. I was under the impression that I would get 6000mah. 3000 doesnā€™t sound like much. Itā€™s like a portable cellphone battery packā€¦

watt hours is a better indicator you get watt hours by multiplying the total pack voltage (6s is 6x3.6= if youā€™re using lipos, 21.6 volts) by the amp hours (6000mah is 6ah) to get watt hours. and 10 watt hours roughly equals 1km of range

so! assuming the cells are all 3000mah individuallyā€¦ 6s4p is 21.6volts x (3Ah x 4parallel) = 21.6x12 = 259 watt hours = ~25km range 6s3p is 19.4km 6s2p is 12.9km 6s1p is 6.4km

2 Likes

So where does the c come into play?

Series will add the voltage, parallel will add the amp hours and discharge rate. For the VESC higher voltages are definitely recommended depending on your kV, and hub motors generally have issues with heat dissipation so raising the voltage should lower the amps and heat, however how heat in a motor is generated seems to be debatable.

In series you would have 12S * 3Ah = 133.2Wh with 20C discharge and in parallel you would have 6S * 6Ah = 133.2Wh with a 40C discharge rate. Since lipos are capable of discharging high currents they generally do not need to be wired in parallel, your pack in series should be capable of 60A continuous and 120 in parallel. Li-ion packs need to have cells in parallel since their discharge rates are much lower (eg. 20A continuous for Samsung 25R cells).

1 Like

Wow thatā€™s confusing but easier than the sites Iā€™ve been looking at. Iā€™m going to read it about 10 more times lol

C rating is what they use to show the discharge rate of a lipo pack. You multiply your packs amp hours (Ah) by the c rating to get max discharge rate. eg 20C * 3Ah = 60A

1 Like

So much math. But thanks so much for your help. Going to try and figure out how much range I would get if I went series

use this thing

does a lot of the math for you, even if the interface is a little weird. make sure to hover over all the nodes to see what allā€™s there
2 Likes

I think thatā€™s what you showed me earlier. Iā€™m not on a computer right now though. A bunch of unfortunate events have me 4/4 computers down.

That setup is very easy.

People usually estimate that 10Wh = 1km of range, your lipo is 133Wh in both series and parallel so your range will be around 13km.

So the distance would be the same either way? I thought I understood that I would get about 13km with series but I thought it was about 25km in parallel. What is the difference between the 2? Isnā€™t parallel suppose to give me more distance and less speed and series to give less distance and more speed? I sound so stupid on hereā€¦

1 Like

speed is based on the number of cells in series you use parallel to add range on that speed its not like adding more in parallel drops your speed

so a 6s4p is slow but lasts a while (24 total cells) a 10s4p (40 total cells) is faster and lasts a while as well

i guess another analogy would be like cylinders. as you add cylinders you get more powah, and parallel is adding more gas tanks

2 Likes

Thanks for the input on my build. Do you have any experience with the ollin vesc/heatsinkā€¦ I want to know if I will need a computer to set it up or if itā€™s good to go out of the box? I currently donā€™t have a computer.

Ollin VESCs are very good quality. You WILL need a computer to set them up. They ARENā€™T plug and play

Are there any plug and play units on the market that you know of?

TorqueBoards 12s ESC. Are you able to borrow a computer? The VESCs are amazing, I use them on all my builds now

now iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s some way to spin up a blueduino and an android app to interface with the vesc. probably a real pain in the ass now that i think about it :thinking:

Ok TB 12s ESCis an option. Have you heard of the VESC connect or VESC connect lite app via Bluetooth? It looks sweet I found a video that enertion did on it he said you can completely bypass the need for a computer and do all your programming through your phone or iPad. Do you have any insight?