Noob question thread! ๐Ÿ˜€ ask your questions here!

I also prefer dual 6355 on a street board. Or single 6374 / 6384

1 Like

Can i user my hub motors as belt motors? Is it possible?

@Yarden Yes, but.

Yes, you can use hub motors as belt motors in theory. But, youโ€™ll essentially have to have access to a machine shop to make it work. Youโ€™d have to make your own custom motor mounts, and your own custom pulley system. And even then, with many hours and many dollars invested, they still wonโ€™t be nearly as good as actual motors designed for belt use.

Just buy regular motors if you want belt drive. Save the hubs for a toy board.

2 Likes

Thanks! Very informative answer! Made my decision @MysticalDork

as long as your pulley is covered over tha half all is good. If you have a set screw it need to be on the shaft for sure. If no than just use red or green loctite for the pulley @ih8Darian

Hi there !

Do you have any useful tips on (where) ordering a custom-made shaft for our brushless motors??

I will be for 2 10mm to step to 8mm (outside the motor cage)

what about using your shafts and just find a workshop with a lathe machine? should be an easy to get it down to 8mm, but if you need the key way hole that could be an issue.

2 Likes

Yes, thanks, it could be the fastest way :wink:
I was looking for the cheapest way to get them ^^, I will see what the shop tell me !

1 Like

Regarding controlling a Vesc with Arduino (Uart):

What happens when both functions VescUartSetCurrent(2); and VescUartSetCurrentBrake(1); are active at the same time? Iโ€™m too scared to try it out so did anybody do this yet?

Reason why Iโ€™m asking is if the code must prevent it from happening.

I am laying out my board before making my enclosure, I thought up 3 compartments. 2 seperate battery compartments and 1 for the electronics. I have not seen this on the forum yet and am wondering if Iโ€™m overlooking something. 20190415_175633

What batteries should I get for my dual motor build.

Should I go with two of these:

But I think they need a higher c rating.

Or these batteries in the video at 2:35.

Does anyone know what those batteries are?

Thanks.

You need to use the search button, and your resources.

The youtube videos description has an amazon link for the batteries

Those lipos are plenty fine if youre a normal rider, but instead of the available ~190A(per lipo), use less to preserve the batteries health. Two will get you amazing discharge and great range. I doubt youโ€™ll ever experience voltage sag

1 Like

Dude you asked basically the same question about the deck used in a YouTube video this morning and I showed you it was already answered in the comments too.

Do yourself and everyone here a favor and please search before asking. I understand itโ€™s a large and confusing new field but there is a plethora of information just a search away.

But the batteries in the description of the video is some other batteries than in the video.

If you want a cheap, solid starter build click here

Freewheeling makes energy that lights up Vesc and possibly much worse if go too fast w no battery

1 Like

Alright, freewheeling regenerates practically zero energy. You will not charge your battery from freewheeling.

2 Likes

Is there any danger associated with freewheeling a powered board that is dead? (after the 3.0V cell cutoff from the BMS)

@AlvinB Pay close attention to what @venom121212 linked, itโ€™s solid advice

3 Likes

Coasting with a dead battery is fine as far as I know as long as itโ€™s there. I have to get a blue tooth logger again but does coasting at low or high speed not charge at all? If ur in danger of blowing up ur stuff even coasting around without a battery it makes sense it must be charging a little. Damn gotta get one them loggers for iPhone going.