Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Who is a good person to talk to to get tabs welded?

Psyhotiller? Or does he only do whole packs?

Making your own is somewhat simple imo.

Scrap a microwave. Shouldn’t be hard to find one on Craigslist or something. Take the transformer. Do not touch the magnetron. Youtube is an easy way to see how to safely do this procedure.

Get some quality 4AWG (6 or 8 would also probably work) welding wire. Electron Beam Technology in the USA has AMAZING deals monthly.

Buy the Arduino kit to go with the microwave transformer. Then stealthily borrow your parents or neighbors car battery.

Buy some copper butt connectors shove them in the welding wire, properly connect them after tapping a hole for a set screw, insert probes, and ya got yerself a Gucci spot-welder.

I realize this kinda sounds like bullshit for the noob thread… But it’s all actually pretty easy and all on YouTube quite a few times. Honestly, the most expensive part of you don’t have an easy way to get it around you will be the electrode holder option.

4 Likes

Ive seen someone have alot of succes using a car battery wired to a solanoid and a momentary switch. I think i will try this first and if it dosent work i will attempt ur idea

So I finished making my second board for a friend everything was great until he plugged in the charger into the the anti spark key slot instead of the charger spot (both were xt 90 connectors). I think he may have fried the vesc because when all three phase wires are plugged into the vesc the motor becomes hard to turn but when the wires are unplugged the motor spins freely. Also when he plugged in the antispark key in its correct slot after what he did after a few seconds it heated up and started smoking. I now have the board and am not sure how to move forward and what test to do to find the problem. Also the BMS looks fine there are no visible spots where the plastic around it melted or anything like that. Thanks Tim

Ok first, never make ports with different specs the same type of connector!

Now how to go forward I whould suggest

• Disconect the BMS (may be fried)
  • Check your battery voltages
  • Connect only the battery and the VESC and see if it boots up normally (make sure nothing heats up)
  • Try the VESC with your motor
  • Test only your BMS connected to your battery
2 Likes

Is there any harm on testing the vesc with the motor considering when I plug the motor wires into the vesc it acts like all three wires are touching I don’t want to do any further damage.

Why whould you want to risk it? You could have 2 FET’s broken and only have a coil between it making your motor fry. Just look if the VESC boots and if it does, try connecting to it with your pc.

For science…

20190311_193701

No problem :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Is this the right kinda fuse for a 4p battery for cell level fusing?

Its a 24awg wire or would I use 22awg instead?

https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Industries-24TCW-Tinned-Diameter/dp/B01BDA7DI2/ref=pd_bxgy_2/137-3920672-8146018?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01BDA7DI2&pd_rd_r=c307f638-4472-11e9-8caf-778b59435674&pd_rd_w=xx8f0&pd_rd_wg=caUvs&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=KK8ACCZ9R1GXFYMRY46Z&psc=1&refRID=KK8ACCZ9R1GXFYMRY46Z

2 Likes

If I were to ship my (still in individual pieces ) board cross-country, and I wanted to insure it… What should I tell the post office people it’s value is?

I’m terrified of losing it during shipping and I’m beginning to think that insurance might be worth it :thinking:

Yeah I know my wheel gear is the same size which doesn’t help the 110mm wheel do you know where I could purchase a larger one?

I am not sure about amps lemme check but battery is 3 4s lipo batteries in series so 12s 5000mah

Well, what’s your current size?

My current size of the wheel gear is 36 teeth (probably standard for 83 mm)

Shipping insurance is always worth it. So many things get lost in the mail. When I use USPS and add hundreds of dollars of insurance the price goes up minimally.

I’d insure it for the exact size of the check you want to receive if it’s lost. Who cares what the value of it is. What size check do you need if it never arrives? Usually I say the actual value of the thing plus about 20%

1 Like

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

I’m just scared shitless of losing it :joy:

I can’t find a straight up answer for a package of 1000usd, and dimensions of 36x12x12

Hopefully it won’t be too much :thinking:

1 Like

Use USPS, they are always cheaper. Slower sometimes. But cheaper.

I planned on it… the other local post offices won’t let me in because I tried to send a battery through them last time :sob::sob:

(To be clear, I didn’t sneak it through, I went with the battery in hand to their kiosk desk and asked how to send it…still dubbed.)

They legit won’t let me ship things because they’re scared I’m going to be a liability :roll_eyes:

Go kick rocks Fed ex…

3 Likes

Packages are handled VERY rough in-transit and they WILL be thrown, and there isn’t anything you can do to stop that. They know that, that’s why they act that way. They don’t think it will be packaged well enough.

2 Likes

“SOMETIMES” like always…

1 Like