Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

0.25" tinned braided copper is good for 40A. It’s possible to solder to the cells, but not recommended unless you are professional-level at soldering. Like, you’ve been soldering for decades and at work.

You can’t get the cells hot…

2 Likes

Are you selling these hubs? o3o

1 Like

I pre tinned them and have been pratcing on dead cells. I was able to do it in 5 secconds. But i keep them cool by leaving them in the fridge for a hour b4 soldering and wtap them in a ice pack while soldering is that ok?

Also have a cold piece of aluminum to press on it right after the iron to wick the heat out. Don’t cause any shorts on accident doing that.

But also, not recommended LoLz

5 seconds is a long time, try for less

Can you spot weld through the copper braid or does it just weld the copper strands together?

It’s recommended to buy a battery or spot-weld nickel strip.

Not sure I can stress enough what “not recommended” means LoLz

I probably shouldn’t even put that in the noob thread

2 Likes

The banshees? Im definitely not selling the koowheels but i can definitely let the banshees go… Dont think i will go lower than 97mm again

Speaking of batteries, is there any reason to not wire a pack like this? I’m trying to get the most space out of the deck because I have a LOT of other crap I need room for. Gonna use the solder tags provided by NKON and 10 awg silicone wire where the purple is (gonna strip the middles of the wire so each line is actually a single piece of wire)

If I fold the wires to sit in groves in the deck and only double fish paper insulation at the ends of the cells with them butted end to end, I’m thinking the pack will be 204mm wide and 288mm long

Battery%20layout

I realized I still have a shit ton to do so I’ll wait the month for the cells to be tagged correctly and only spend like $30 for tags and $20 for the tape/paper/wires/wrap instead of buying a spot welder, unless anyone knows someone in the US who can tag them for less

PM incoming

So would something like 3 secconds be ok?

Dual wield soldering Irons?

1 Like

Less than half second or else you’re at risk dude.

I guess you didn’t really say what temps you’re running the iron at, what tip you’re using, and how good your technique is regarding your heat transfer skills (aka are you wetting your tip properly and keeping it clean of oxidation)

But in short, soldering is surprisingly hard for what it is and I think you need a lot more practice before you mess with li-ion batteries that are going to be living in your house.

1 Like

Yes, use the highest temp (850F / 455C)

It’s counter-intuitive, but the highest temp iron is how you keep the cells the coolest

Obligatory: soldering on lithium cells is not recommended

(there is a reason I end every post with that)

Ok so i did some research and herd that it can damage the plastic separator, pressure protections or even the main internal lithium layers. so do u have any cheap spot welders that you could recommend.

I personally recommend buying P-groups already welded and making the rest of the battery yourself.

I know there are lots of other folks who might have other suggestions…

is it possible to make your own spot welder?

Yes! Search this forum

1 Like

Yep there is a thread look up boss level spot welder.

1 Like

Thanks I couldn’t remember the name. Also what are those cell holders called? My mind is drawing a blank.

edit: ohh, NESE modules

2 Likes