Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

XT90 are not antispark. XT90S are antispark.

They are not bad for the ESC.

1 Like

I probably should rethrase that , is the the normal ext90 bad for the esc

It’s not terribly bad for the ESC, but it’s bad for the XT90 and the pins will melt off after a number of plug/unplug cycles

1 Like

I want to clean some of the electronics for the upcoming spring before I attempt to dust/water/whateverproof my enclosure, so I decided to ask for some advice here.

If I wanted to clean my ESC of all the dust and dirt, would it be okay to just dunk it in a bowl of rubbing alcohol and let it sit there for a while? I’ve heard nice things about cleaning PCBs that way.

What about the motors? I’m running hub motors and I think they need a cleaning as well, because there’s this weird “flopping” sound when accelerating with load (load would be me in this case). How would I go about cleaning the motors?

I would take the motor apart and use the canned air that is made for dusting electronics

Factories that manufacture surface mount boards have commercial dishwashers they run them through. I think soap and water is definitely safe for it.

Hi, I am trying to build my first electric skateboard. While I was researching I stumbled across the FOCBOX Unity on sale. I’m not done with my research, but this looks like a huge saving. Should I order it before I finished my research? Or is there a better VESC?

I would like my board to have the following features:

• A board of around 100cm
  • Dual motor setup
  • Top speed of around 45kmph
  • Range of 40km
  • 10s5p or 12s4p liion battery
  • Budget of 1100 euro (+/- 200 euro)
  • Located in The Netherlands :netherlands:

Thanks!

3 Likes

enertion has very often discount codes and special offers. so you definitly don´t need to worry that you ever will need to pay the full price you can see on the website. the bigger problem with the unity is the availability. if you order now, the planed shipping is beginning of march if there still unitys left from the batch. if all of them sold, we don´t know yet how long it will take till the next batch is ready for shipping. this can take some month. maybe somebody from the enertion team can give a short update if there still unitys availaible from the feb/march batch and when the next batch is planed to be back in stock. @barajabali @CarlCollins

Besides this I would say for now you can´t make anything wrong by ordering a unity for your build. so far they seem to be solid :wink:

2 Likes

Do you have a longboard to work from? This is a healthy budget but maybe the battery size might be hard to get at that budget

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll probably order one soon then, to make sure I’ll even have a VESC…

Not yet. I don’t really have a background in skate or long boarding, so I’m open for suggestions which one to get! I’m planning to build my own battery using a spot welder. If it’s too hard for the budget I might build a 10s4p battery

1 Like

Theres a lot of decks out there :joy: How will you use this board?

Search for some and see what you like and then comment back. https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/deck-recommendations-please/71515

You can get the hummie deck + enclosure for around £150. Enclosures are a hard to thing to make so its best to buy one

5 Likes

This is also a good deal

1 Like

Should I have to use distilled water to prevent corrosion or is that not necessary? Just submerging and leaving the ESC in the soapy water mix is alright?

I’d just wash them. The electronics factory by me uses regular tap water for that. But make sure they are completely dry before powering them on.

1 Like

So i know im not the only person wondering. You mind explaining the process? That is if you arent tuckered out from making a build thread lol.

Edit: he tuckered out lol

Almost exclusively on pretty long, straight paved roads. I want to use it for commuting around. As I’m in the Netherlands I have great bike roads with little to no elevation. As I would take it on campus in class I don’t want it to be too big. Having stability and compact size is pretty much mutuality exclusive I’ve seen, so I’m looking for some compromise.

That hummie deck looks interesting. I think I would want the one on the left with belt driven motors. I’ll shoot bigben a message if he still has some decks in Europe.

1 Like

You probably want something like this

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/55251/earthwing-muirderer-fallen-one-37-longboard-skateboard-deck-w-grip

for a compact size only issue you can run into is that you would have to probably run a double stack for your batteries to get the size battery that you want on a smaller board.

I’d say the hummie is a but too long for campus travels. You’d want something short like the tayto or maybe the haya.

Not getting any output through the power XT90 in this diagram, can anybody see any flaws? Charging port works and anti-spark plug is plugged in. Will replace the generic low quality BMS if the diagram would work normally. 10s3pdiagram