Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

swap the sensor cables around, till the motor stops cogging

Paste your list of parts directly in the forum…

When calculating power for shipment, do I use the nominal volts of the cell or the max volts?

Question about BMS and amp. I want to buy a cheap BMS only for charging 10s battery with Samsung 30Q batteries. My concern is on which BMS should I go in terms of amp rating? I use x2 6355 200kv motors and x2 VESCS, they are configured to motor max of 50A (each). Do I need to use a BMS of 50A and above, or it doesn’t really matter?

If you’re using the BMS only for charge and not discharge, you can go with whatever Amp rated BMS you like. As long as the charge A rating fits your needs you’re fine to go with 2A charge, 5 or 10A discharge because you will be bypassing the discharge anyway.

You need an ESC that has programmable cut-off voltages though, otherwise you may over discharge your cells.

1 Like

If you´re only using a BMS for charging you only have to take care of that value, it doesn´t matter how much the discharging rating is, because you´re not using it :wink:

1 Like

Thanks both of you!

So if I do plan on also discharging by the BMS, should I pick one that can handle the amp that is configured in the BLDC tool? Lets say, if I set it to 50A each, I need 100A BMS?

Yes, you do…

If one is using x2 6355 motors, and configured them to 60A each, will need a 120A BMS? Because I wans’t able to find one like this.

Just saw @darkkevind was a bit faster :wink:

Make sure not to mix Motoramps with Batteryamps - different values! Just saw you mentioned 50A Motor max. They can be much higher than Batteryamps (you´ll find a few threads here about that).

What batteries are you using?

2 Likes

I’m going to use Samasung 30Q (stiil waiting to get them). I thought that the amps that the motor is taking is from the battery itself. So the BMS amp is only related to the battery max?

In what configuration? For example 10s4p with 30q is able to deliver 80A, so you should pick a 80A BMS. With 10s3p you´ll have about 60A max, so a 60A will do the job.

Yep it´s only related to the battery

How did i get here, and what am i doing with my life?

5 Likes

I bought 4 3S batteries and I’m going to put them in series (12s) for my Trampa. However, to extend the range I might order 4 more to put those (2x 12S1P) in parallel to create a 12S2P (is this correct?). If I want to add a BMS, how do I connect the balance plugs? Do they also connect to the bms in parallel (so wire 1 from pack 1 and 2 go both into balance wire port 1 of the bms, etc?).

Hey guys do you know anywhere in europe where I could find some 275-5M-09 Timing Belt type 5M 275mm Pitch Length, 09mm Width ?

There you go: https://www.agrolager.de/product_info.php?products_id=22007506

What’s a mosfet on a vesc and what do they do? Also what’s the difference between battery current and motor current?

@Nix Mosfets are basically the components that regulate huge amounts of power (10s = 42v and 50Amp for example) using the small signal a chip or microcontroller can provide. The relationship between motor amps and batt amps , at least in current regulated modes ous related through the duty cycle but I will leave that one for someone who knows more

Is a fuse really necessary between my enertion spacecell and my VESCs? I blew the 40 amp and went over the front of the board at speed (fractured elbow and wrist sprain) so I am just wondering if it is really necessary to have one in there. What could be the problems of not having one?

Probably should, but I have never run a fuse. I use really good li-ion packs or lipo packs that I build, so I feel pretty confident.