Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Just don’t jam it in there super fast and you’ll be fine basically first half of plugging in it goes through the resistor part so doesn’t get inrush but the capacitors will still fill within half a second or so (would guess less, I have to push it in there quick to hear any spark), I don’t ever really think about it but just take it easy and will be fine. Also make sure it’s fully plugged in before accelerating or you’ll fry the resistor and when it expands it’s really hard to pull out (twss).

1 Like

When motor specs put the bolt mounting distance, is that measurement the distance between the two bolts diagonally? Or are they talking about the distance between each one in the x and y direction like a square?

I ask this because my SK3 4350 says 25mm mounting holes and I measured them to be DIAGONAL 25mm

On the pictures of SK3 6364’s, they look a lot more far apart, but the specs say 32mm which seems to be linear x and y distance apart?

Confusing?

Noob question. Got this remote control I know its ugly as hell but needed something for testing purposes:

And the receiver:

So how do I connect it to my VESC? And what kind of power source do I need to power the receiver?

You connect it to pwm pinns on vesc, and vesc powers the reciever. Alsp there’s 3d printed cases fpr that remote that looks much better, and is smaller.

How do I connect two turnigy batteries in parallel to a FOCBOX (XT60 connector)? I can’t seem to find the right cable on hobbyking.

Also, should I get a 6364 190kv or a 6374 192kv motor for my 10s single motor longboard? Is the 6374 worth the 7 euro difference? I’m not interested in very high speeds nor I plan to go up many steep hills

Whats the best way to remove old griptape? I would try a heat gun? Is there a better way?

has anyone replaced the switch that is on the spacecell battery with an LED push button? (one of those cool ones that light up when you turn it on)

Even a hair dryer would work. You don’t need much heat.

You just start heating up one end of the grip tape (front or back of the board), for maybe 20-30 seconds, then use a knife to get under the grip tape and start peeling back, still heating the next area as you go. Sometimes you only need to heat the first bit.

Plenty of videos of this on YouTube, if that’s easier to follow/understand. Good luck!

what silicone wire awg size would you recommend from charging port to bms? 10s charger 42v 2 amp…

This is a picture of the VESC from diyelectricskateboards, correct?

Is it possible to wire up dual vescs in parallel for increased current to a single motor?

IE: dual motor setup w/ chained canbus’ed quad vescs with each motor having a master/slave (master=power+pwm+sensor, slave=just power).

If not, why? +Is this something that could be available via firmware in the future? It seems like amps are the limiting factor w/ vescs, especially w/ 63mm, but that could be a potential stopgap solution until vescs catch up re: amp ratings… Just imagine >100a cont+FOC. I haven’t seen any evidence this is currently doable, but I don’t know enough about VESCs to come up w/ a reason why it couldn’t be.

If so, any info/examples on this? I haven’t had any luck and usually my google fu is strong.

edit: it’d look exactly like this rendering:

…but w/ a canbus connection

Noob question here:

When you guys mount your batteries and ESCs, do you stick them to the deck or to the enclosure? What’s your favorite mounting method for electronics? Pics would be helpful!

I have velcro on my battery mounted to the deck. Could do the same with esc if they are wrapped in heatshrink or similar.

And it sticks alright? I figured going over bumps, eventually either the adhesive or Velcro would unstick and the batteries would fall off the deck. Maybe I could use foam braces on the bottom of the enclosure to ensure the batteries are pushed upward and can’t fall.

It sticks very well. Get a wide velcro and you are set. I also have some foam between battery and enclosure.

1 Like

Hey there!

I am currently in the research phase of building my DIY and still reading a bunch. I do have two questions at the moment which I hope steer me in the right direction.

1. I do not have a spot welder and I heard that soldering the batteries can be bad for them. I noticed that NKON sells cells with solder tags. Would that be a good alternative to spot welding? Are there any cons do using those solder tags?
  2. I want to build a board with a long range. So far I know that increasing the number of cells in parallel will increase my capacity and therefore range. Is there anything else I should be looking out for to have long range on the board? (I am not aiming at high speed and live in a pretty flat area).

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Hey if I want to get a range of 15 km+, what batteries (lipo) should I get. Here is what I thought might help you calculate my range

1. 4 90mm flywheels
  2. Pulley set
  3. sk3 6364 245kv
  4. My weight is ca. 54kg
  5. I live in Denmark so no crazy hills

So i have my VESC’s programmed to run sensored motors, however after getting all of my wires epoxied into the deck and then re hooked up, one motor seems to be cogging and not wanting to spin. When I unplug the sensor wire to that specific motor It works just fine.

I have 3 questions regarding this:

1. Can I just unplug both sensor wires and leave the VESC’s programed how they are, or would I need to re program? (they seem to run fine good)

2. Should I unplug both or leave one sensored and one not?

3. If I would want to run both sensored what is the easiest way to test the system to find the issue?

Again, thank you to this thread! much help has been provided to me here and I am very thankful. Also very thankful to @sl33py for helping me out with everything!

1 Like

I would run one sensored, and one unplugged. since being controlled by can bus it should sync up and work fine for the one unplugged. I think if you want to fix the issue - you’ll need to dig out the sensor wires, or re-run them.

My bad for not testing them after we soldered the wires, and before we epoxied them in.

Where’s your build thread? Board is looking AWESOME! Share it and get folks inspired!!!

Hello, I am creating my first eboard for a school project. I have a list of parts that I have and wondering if someone could help me go through and review for some advice. I am also curious to see what the best battery is as I am trying to make my own. I am thinking 8 in series and 4 in parallel.

Here is my list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uDnc90vIV0bvaXgxFmzLTg9zlPLWNZeuvMxsF2nuE38/edit