Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Do you have any links for this claim

Not that I donā€™t believe you but its always nice to have it proven

1 Like

Donā€™t remember exact locations, you would have to google it yourself. Also itā€™s not like Tesla doesnā€™t charge to 4.20V for no reasonā€¦

Itā€™s one layer of protection, the charger also should not go that high. Also I want my battery to be able to be overcharged if it means my brakes keep working. Iā€™d prefer a shorter battery life then streetface in certain circumstances.

Basically it is keeping you clear of ā€œstarting a fireā€ area but not ensuring you use it properly. Itā€™s just a failsafe.

1 Like

Is it okay if we duckgo it instead?

3 Likes

The problem and whole reason we have BMS is that you canā€™t rely on the fact that charger stops at X voltage which should end as 4.2V/cell because you can get all cells at 4.0V and one at 5V in fires and have same correct X voltage

You make the claim, burden of proof is on you. Donā€™t try and fuck around and argue points that you may or may not have any idea about.

3 Likes

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

1 Like

4.35v thatā€™s over volt protection, like from a regen system attempting to pump more voltage than itā€™s designed for.

given the right charger itā€™ll never over-volt, right, 12s charger max voltage is 50.4vā€¦so it canā€™t go above that. nowā€¦if someoneā€™s being funny and used a 60v cc/cv charger on a 12s or something, yea this bms will stop it at 4.35v, but donā€™t do that.

anyway, in esk8 application does not apply since both upper and lower voltage cutoff is configurable via vesc.

and yes, charging to less than 4.2v yields longer cell life. iā€™ve asked bestech if they can balance charge to 4.1v and was straight up denied.

2 Likes

Itā€™s from one of the 18650 cell datasheets, canā€™t find which one tho.

Thank you for that. Lots of useful stuff there. I think one thing to think about with this topic is that just because a BMS can go up to 4.35V doesnā€™t mean that it always will. Doing this a couple times over ~300 cycles will not significantly degrade performance. BMS protections are the exception, not the norm.

@Arek BMS cutting off at 4.35V DOES NOT MEAN that youā€™re charging it to 4.35V per cell.

2 Likes

So have dozens of other people on the forum. This doesnā€™t make you a special snowflake. Please just move on

3 Likes

IMG_2392 Its getting interresting :rofl: :joy:

Hi, Iā€™m gonna build my own longboard deck to replace the deck for my first build. Iā€™ve never made one before and Iā€™ve done my research. Does anyone know where to get the right wood, preferably 1/8 Baltic Birch?

@Arek honestly there is no reason to argue with @b264 he is a debate Jedi. Some of his stuff I donā€™t agree with but he definitely does know what he is talking about with this.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

7 Likes

Ok sorry, I wonā€™t do that anymore. Iā€™ll just flag you guys. If this is how you do itā€¦

has anyone ever used this esc. just wondering if it would be more reliable then some vescā€™s

Hobbywing Ezrun MAX6 ESC (3-8S)

3 Likes

Thank you wondering if 8s would be a bit to slow. although i can always change the gearing