Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

any other input on my battery situation above?

A) Your battery souldnĀ“t be dead, check your cells with a multimeter B) IĀ“d get rid of the insulation strip and weld them in an other way, so they wonĀ“t be so dangerous close to eachother for shorting. If you wanna leave it that way and have no possibility of a new battery layout, try to isolate these parts as good as possible and fixate everything with proper tape and/or heatshrink. Check if all connections are still fine and redo them if you see something damaged.

I bought what I thought was all the parts to build a longboard, but I made a mistake of thinking that wheels come with bearings and now Iā€™m not sure what kind of bearings do I need and whether I need something else as well (itā€™s my first board). Wheels - abec 11 97 mm, trucks are caliber I 50 degree

How hard are the standard red bushings that come with caliber 2 trucks? I think I need a slightly harder bushings.

Anybody got any experience with these motor brackets? - https://world.taobao.com/item/538026749112.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.201601086188259.6.o1gtd7&scm=1007.12679.24488.538026749112

Would like to know if theyā€™re worth picking up,as they are quite cheap and also know that many people have ordered parts from taobao.com :slight_smile:

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked already (not enough time to read all 285 posts) but Iā€™d like to know if I can still use this lipo or if I need to return it?

Never used, charged it from storage to full 4.2V per cell using a balance charger. Three 3s packs and one swelled (other two are full and didnā€™t swell)

Am I fine to use it or should I get it replaced?

Should be still usable if they are all balanced well. Just be careful. And in the future donā€™t get LiPO batteries

After using this for a while I plan to get a 18650 setup since you can squeeze out more range.

I spoke to the folks at hobby king and they were very kind, enough to send me a replacement even so Iā€™ll wait for that before completing my build.

The cells are well balanced, 4.18V each last I checked but I think Iā€™ll stick to the 4.1V to 3.2V range to ensure they last longer.

Running lipos it can be bad to drain past even 3.6V depending on the quality of the battery. When I had lipo batteries same as yours I never discharged them past 3.8V except for storage and they still failed me after a few months of responsible and closely managed use.

1.I have twin esc from APS and I have no idea how to program it 2.I have radio receiver and I dont know where to plug 2 led light and ESC (all from APS) 3.I have APs hub motors there are 3 thick wires and something that looks like balance cables from battery, I dont know where to plug those thin wires (there is no place for them in esc) 4. I have four 3s batteries I want to plug them to parallel board and then to charger but my charger is upto 6s and balace cables from board are for 8s, how to solve this? 5.I have APS anti spark switch and I dont know how to install it between batteries and ESC If anyone can contact me on private chat or by email I would be grateful :grinning:

Hello Im a newbie trying to connect my vesc to the BLDC Tool.

When i push connect I get ā€œNo firmware read responseā€ When I try to upload new firmware I get ā€œBuffer eraser timed outā€

I have tried connecting the other VESC, I changed the USB cable to the one provided, I have changed USB ports, I get the sound that it recognizes the connection when i turn it on, but a window pops up say not recognized, One of the usb devises attached to this computer is not recognized.

I have VESC v4.12, hardware v2.18. BLDC Tool supports v2.17, v2.18.

Coms1 and Com3 show in box, Com1 works.

I checked out "BLDC Tool not recognising my VESC - ā€œNo Firmware Read Responseā€ Esk8 Electronics thread but did not help.

Im at a loss, help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I am looking for a BMS for my setup. I am planning on using 2 5000mah 5s lipos in parallel. I was looking at this bms http://www.ebay.com/itm/18V-21V-18-5V-5S-30A-Lithium-5x-3-6V-3-7V-Li-ion-LiPo-Polymer-Battery-BMS-PCB-/322366720925?hash=item4b0e8dcb9d:g:D8cAAOSwTdJXRWRF

The maximum continuous discharge is 60A which I believe will be enough. Question though, how does one charge through this board? I would like to feed it a decent amount of amps, probably about 10A charging input. This will charge the batteries in an hour. 1C charge rate. The issue is there is no spec on what input charging voltage to put in on their ebay page. It would be great if I could use one of those standard universal style dc power supplies, not the laptop ones with often low amps. I would love to be able to get a ac/dc setup that is discrete to the board itself. The hobby balance chargers are very limited in their wattage and require more connections.

turns out I needed this driver, its now working.

1 Like

Donā€™t run 5s. Run them in series for 10s. And get a 10s BMS from either bestech or supower

Reasons: Higher voltage -> better efficiency/less amps -> more range

5s is slow af and wonā€™t pull any hills

And charging at 10A will kill the batteries. Charge them at 2A or 4A

I donā€™t know. I am using my board I made for $200 on 5s right now. I clocked it at 15mph flat ground. Any faster and I wobble, it is not a full length board. Youā€™re right about hv being more efficient, but it is also more expensive. As for the charging rate, you can infact charge much faster than 2 or 4 amps with no damage at all. Running 5s 5000mah in parallel is 10ah. Charging at 10A is a 1C charge rate, what all lipos can easily handle. Higher discharge rated cells can charge at 3 or 4C.

I have zero experience with multimeters and now I need to measure balance lead voltage of a 10s4p liion pack. The pack have 10 balance leads. 5 black and 5 blue. How should I do this?

1 Like

Put the black multimeter lead in the thick black connector wire, I assume its an XT90 connector so put the black lead in the beveled side. Then put the red multimeter lead to each balance wire individually. You should set your multimeter to DC Volts.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Perhaps you could help me again with another question? :slight_smile: My pack have 11 balance leads, not 10 that I first toughtā€¦ 10 measured from 3v to 36v and 1 that didnĀ“t give a reading, just 0.0 and a minus (-) mark flashed in the multimeter. And my bms has connectors for 10 balance leads. So what should I do? Just leav it unconnected the 11th cable ?

Ordered the Torqueboards single drive mechanical kit today. Curious if anyone knows if Iā€™ll need to make any mods to get it onto the rev kingpins trucks I plan on getting? Will it just fit those