Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Ok thank you

What is the formula for calculating the time it takes to charge a battery pack given the cell arrangement and input power supply?

For example, if I have a battery pack that is in a X series and Y parallel config (12s4p for example) and a charger that outputs V voltage and A amperage (50.4v @1.5A for example), how long will it take to charge?

Edit: Iā€™ve seen a variety of online calculators for this, but they are all dealing with single cell li-ion batteries since that is the most common use case. Is it possible to just use those calculators and divide the resulting charge time by the number of total cells your pack has?

the capacity add up with the parallel counts. so if you have a 4x 3Ah cells in paralle itĀ“s 12Ah in total and would take 1 hour with a 12A charger to charge it fullyā€¦ or 2h with a 6A charger and so onā€¦ probably it will take a bit longer if you have a BMS installed. The blancing process takes some time and that you canĀ“t calculate.

3 Likes

@Kug3lis made his own esk8 calculator that had that included in it. https://calc.3dservisas.eu/

1 Like

Power calculation question:

Say I have a 10s5p battery = 36v (or 42v full charge) and 10,000mah If I had two 500w motors (1000w total), will they only last under 30 minutes at full blast?

1000w / 42v = 23.8Ah 10,000mah / 23.8Ah = 0.42hrs = 25.2 minutes

(Assuming no voltage sag)

Is this theoretical calculation correct?

Thanks!

I wouldnā€™t think so post a picture of the calculator with your settings.

1 Like

links on off road wheels with pulley kit?

Google trampa, mbs or look on AliExpress.

Hi esk8 community,

I am new here and been researching around this forum about the best ways to build an esk8. I would like to know if you guys think I could use this board for an esk8. I will replace the trucks and wheels.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Looks good to me!

1 Like

Planning on using Caliber II (44) trucks and havenā€™t decided on the wheels yet. I think I want to use at least 90mm wheels.

How about Abec-9 bearings? How are those? As they are included with the board.

Still deciding on the electronicsā€¦ Definitely a FOCBOX and probably a 190kV TB Motor with a 10/12S3P made of Samsung 30Qā€™s.

What motor mount should I use with the Caliber IIā€™s?

They are probably good enough. I just use some non-branded bearings and they work fine.

Depends on where you are located. Pretty sure those would work fine. EU: Electric skateboard motor mount ā€œAluminium Carbon PROā€ ā€“ Electric skateboards parts by Eskating US: collections/electric-skateboard-motor-mounts/products/single-bolt-on-motor-mount-set-only-black and https://buildkitboards.com/collections/motor-mounts/products/motor-mount-1

Donā€™t know if itā€™s best to use 44 degree or 50 degree trucks. And donā€™t know if it matters when choosing motor mount.

edit: quick reddit search.

50's give you quicker turning and deeper carves. the 44's give better stability at higher speeds.

My friend has 45* Precision Bears on his freeride board and with the correct setup of bushings, he is able to carve and turn super sharp anyways, while still being able to bomb hills at 70km/h.

It's all a matter of opinion and feel.
1 Like

Check your inbox :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s nice info! Thanks!

The focbox is sold out if you are doing a single motor. The unity would work if you were doing dual

Would this motor work with a FOCBOX?

Yes it will. All tb motors work with the focbox/ vesc :slight_smile: @Jamie42

1 Like

12s, single motor, 3:1 pulley ratio, 97mm wheels, 6374 motor.

Would you go for 149kv, 168kv, or 192kv.

Mainly for commuting around cities. Not many hills. Iā€™m neither heavy nor light.

Also right now one of the motors is $30 cheaper but I feel like I should not decide a major part of my build on $30.

Also note: 192kv is just under 60k erpm.

Hi all,

what happens if I use a charge only bms ?

Is there anyone who could maybe send me a picture of the little manual thatā€™s included with the hobbyking vesc. :smile:

1 Like