Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Long phase wiring is generally ok (wires from vesc to motors) but long battery wires can be problematic. That said lots of prebuilt boards use long battery cabling routed from back to the front with no issues so a standard longboard deck will be fine.

3 Likes

from front to back, like how a boosted board is connected. is a 12awg wire okay?

1 Like

why is it problematic? is there anyway to solve that issue?

Its not really an issue but long battery cabling can cause resistance and you sometimes need to add extra caps on the vesc to compensate but thats in extreme cases. Take the meepo for example. The battery cabling is 12awg and runs up through the deck at the front and runs through a channel to the rear. Works fine. I have one running focboxes and 1 running hk 4.12 vescs with no issues at all. As I said on a normal longboard it will be fine to extend the battery cabling.

What Deck works for the Tourqe Board 218mm trucks with Evolve At wheels

You are going to have to be a little bit careful with bite because the evolve trucks are double king pin which moves the hanger further out than standard reverse king trucks like the tb 218’s Basically if you stick to a design similar to the evolve bamboo you should be ok. Just make sure that the cut outs are far enough back to accommodate the wheel at full lean. My advice would be to pick a deck that has large cut outs and if you get bite then remove some material from the deck. Difficult question to answer tbh. There are literally hundreds of options so hopefully someone can chip in with some real world experience. Welcome to the forum by the way and good luck.

1 Like

what extra caps are you talking about?:sweat_smile: im quite lost​:joy:

1 Like

I want you to absolutely forget I said anything about extra caps and such. Wipe it from your mind.

Is it gone?

Good now go and build your board. :sunglasses:

1 Like

wow holy shit, how did u make me wipe a memory. this some next level black magic​:joy::joy::joy: thank you sir dareno for helping me​:joy: peace​:v:

2 Likes

I’m a jedi

2 Likes

Naaaah not so fast :point_up: I want you to understand what’s going on because it’s easy and a basic thing (sorry @dareno :crazy_face:) Long battery wires can cause an inductive voltage spike which could kill your vesc (you maybe know the specs for vescs say voltage spikes may not exceed 60V) With this said, there are capacitors on each vesc and focbox. Capacitors work against induction caused voltage spikes. The longer the wires, the higher the spikes can be. The closer you run to the max voltage, the more likely is it that you fry something (12s instead of 10s). There are some things you can do to lower the effect of induction Get extra capacitors to the ones you already have on the vesc/focbox Use bigger wires Route the plus and minus wires as close as you can to each other.

Ok and lastly, as long as you around 50cm and don‘t use a 14s battery you should be good with the stock capacitors on your vesc

3 Likes

You had to go and confuse the poor guy didn’t you!!! :laughing::laughing:

4 Likes

I just wanted to give it a try… If it’s not working, just do your yeti thing again and we all good :joy:

4 Likes

soooo in a nutshell, its possible but more work needs to be done😂 what do you mean about get extra capacitors? replace the stock capacitors on the vesc? bigger wires? higher gauge? edit and use 12s instead of 10s?

2 Likes

No, not really more work. Just use 10awg (or 8awg if you have the space) And don’t use 1m long cables and you should be good. I have 8awg cables 60cm long on 12s and had no issues so far. The capacitors are just an option, but I don’t think it’s necessary in your case. The capacitors would needed to be wired parallel to the ones you already have.

Edit: no 10s is super fine! You better with 10s instead of 12s. It’s a 42v instead of 50.4v so more room for voltage spikes till hit the 60v limit

3 Likes

lesser the awg better? so i should cut a 1m cable as short as possible?

3 Likes

The smaller the awg number the bigger the diameter. The bigger the diameter the better.

Just make the cables not longer than they need to be. The shorter the better.

2 Likes

Im sorry but it sounds like it has been damaged. When I charge my battery, the voltage rises a lot after I plug it in.

1 Like

thankyou for the clarification😊 rlly helped me a lot😂

2 Likes

This is normal, until you start to approach the end of charge.

A “CC/CV” charge (aka - a lithium charger) starts in CC (Constant Current) mode which kicks up the voltage a lot [until desired current is achieved, printed on the charger], until voltage reaches a set level (usually 4.20V per cell) then it switches to Constant Voltage mode and holds there until current drops below some threshold

2 Likes