Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Iā€™m always extra careful with live wires of any kind. Plenty of light and extra sugar so I donā€™t have a brain fart. I also have gotten a burnt finger on 110v when I was not careful. Donā€™t forget thereā€™s more angry electronā€™s in 1 amp than the national debt.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently getting the last bits together for my first build. I have the vedder anti spark switch, 2 x 4s 5000 mAh batteries, 230 Kv motor, orangatang wheels and a 4.12 VESC.

The VESC I received came with a heat sink already connected in a heat shrink tube which is good however the wires that were already soldered onto it are only 14 AWG.

Do you recommend that I remove the heat shrink tube and change the wires to 10AWG but as a result stand to lose a way of attaching the heat sink?

Just use it how it is. I have multiple VESCs with 14g power wire, never had an issue.

I was figured that would be the answer but it was worth just checking as itā€™s a pricey component.

My only other question regarding wires is that if you use a higher gauge wire can you increase the length between the batteries and the rest of the components. For example having the batteries at the front of the board and the VESC etc. at the back with the wires reaching between. Iā€™d read somewhere on this forum that it shouldnā€™t exceed a certain length.

Iā€™ve personally never had that issue. I typically build in a single enclosure with the BMS (or POS/NEG in case of lipos) right next to the VESC(s). I am sure you can go 200mm without a problem.

Ok, itā€™s more a case of reaffirming everything before I actually commit to putting everything onto the board and trying it. Thanks for the help!

quick question, is this esc good enough?

@Jammeslu prob not

hey i have 2 6s baterrys but wone cel died form one of them can i just make it a 5s and a 6s and put it in series or is this not good for the batterys

What are the right sizes of heat shrink tubing used for 10 gauge for battery 12 gauge for motors and 22 gauge for balance wire ?

Hi, Iā€™ve bought a Maytech VESC from APS and I am just trying to get it to workā€¦when I connected it to a computer and battery, only blue led is blinkingā€¦is it a missing firmware? I am using two alkaline batteries (chakaā€™s advice in from some thread) in seriesā€¦Do I have to reupload it?

You have to install a bootloader on maytech vescs. Just type it in the searchbar

bootloader is only for updating the firmware - the firmware itself should already be there on a Maytech VESC

For those of us that dont know how to upload the bootloader. Is ther anyone that offers their services to do this for other people? This is my NOOB question

Ok, i asked my frien (this kind of IT geek who knows everything) and he advised me to disable driver signature verification, I did that, but the VESC still canā€™t connenctā€¦however the blue light is no more blinking but constantly shiningā€¦

VESC settings help. Are these good/safe? I have 190kv motor 10s4p battery pack samsung 25r with bms.

Post more of the settings, BLDC Tab, App config, Advanced, pretty much any tab you changed settings in.

To be honest Iā€™m not 100% sure as I am not very well acquitted with the VESC. I asked for those settings because I know thatā€™s what you need to see weather the setting are good or not lol. IMHO 2.8V per cell as a cutoff end is a bit low and will cause your batteries to have a little less life but that is up to you. As for the other settings, they look fine to me but I would definitely get some other peopleā€™s opinions.

Maybe @rpn314 or @Ackmaniac can help though.

All looks good. And 28V cutoff end is also right. It is already conservative.