Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Hey guys Iā€™m ordering the bits for my build (total noob) and I canā€™t decide on the vescs. Iā€™m looking at the Flipsky v4. 20 mini and the hobby king sk8, Iā€™ll be using 2xsk8 6374 192kv motors with 2x 5s 8Ah zippy batteries in series on a scrub psycho. The Flipskys seem better as they have newer firmware but can the small size handle the currents as well as the larger units? What are the pros and cons in your opinions? Thanks for any advice, have been loving reading all the advice on this forumā€¦

Janka test (which is used to determine hardness or softness of wood) places bamboo in the hard wood category. I would use hard wood inserts. Make sure you use the right size drill bit to match!

1 Like

oh. Itā€™s hard to find a 8mm insert for hardwood. Iā€™ll try Do I need a 4mm drill bit for an M4 insert?

Honestly the ones you linked will work fine. Just being technical. If you have access to epoxy, id put a dab of it on the outside threads of the insert to make sure they stay in.

1. let them fully cure before inserting bolts

2. donā€™t get any epoxy inside the insert

Instead of trying to remember every drill bit size for every application, learn this one rule of thumb:

choosing-a-drill-bit-size

In your case, the shank is still the insert minus the threads. If you donā€™t have a perfect matched bit, use a slightly smaller one.

2 Likes

hey i wanna make my own 12s4p is there a video tutoriol for it? i dont have a spot welder but i have a solder

donĀ“t solder your pack. use the search button and get some information about how to build a proper pack. there is a ton of information here. if you at the point that you think you know everything, present your strategie here and people can help you to find out if itĀ“s the right way to how to do it.

you really should understand by your own what you doing if you want to build your own battery pack. itĀ“s no super difficult, but itĀ“s also easy to burn down your house if doing something wrong.

some start help would be to read through this:

Based off of your comments and questions I can very very strongly suggest you donā€™t build your own pack. At best, look in the NESE modules or vruzend kit. They are no solder/weld needed connection packs.

I know a hex head m4 is a 7mm key but not sure about the bit size. I would use stainless steel as you are less likely to strip the threads in the inserts.

If you start to see the wood buldge up I would back out the insert and drill it to the next size up. Not the next size you have in the bit set but the actual next bit up. It shouldnā€™t be a problem with the fine threaded inserts but can be for the corse.

1 Like

will that work for 12s4p pack with 30qs

You could go and research it for yourself and come back and tell me

4 Likes

@venom121212 is right. There is so much to learn to build a battery pack. search Youtube and this forum. Samsung 30Q would work fine for 12S. Read about different 18650s as well

How do normal brakes feel? Smooth like acceleration? Or bumpy like rumble strips? I went on my first ride and the breaks made me feel uneasy.

im thinking about getting an evolve dose anyone know any good wheels? for all terrain

Evolve all terrain wheels maybe? :thinking:

5 Likes

If you set up your remote and the right bat min and motor min in the vesc tool the brakes should be butter smooth. Depends for sure also on your remote and how much travel the trigger has and how much you used to it.

Hk gt2b ppm settings are perfect for the remote in the vesc tool. I did the auto connect in the vesc tool for motor, came back at motor max 62 motor min -62. Battery is a 10s2p so I set the battery max to 20 and min -10. iirc -10 is standard to not overcharge the battery during regen braking?

Iā€™m gonna examine the entire build, maybe the flat spot I filed for the set screw on the pulley is slipping during braking due to momentum.

1 Like

You have only a setcrew for clamping down your motorpulley, if I understand that correctly?

What cells?

Yes two set screws on the motor pulley. Itā€™s a dickyho set.