Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

The updated version. 410_411_412

412 is just the file name which fit to your hw. If you want to load a new firmware 3.xx you need the vesc tool. For 2.xx you can use bldc.

If you want to use ackmaniac anyhow than get his latest version. Should be 3.01 or so. Flash the file which will come with the ack tool for 412 and you good to go

Anyone got experience with this bms?

I have one for 8s but havent used it yet, i thought deckoz had a thread about it but i havent seen that much results

Btw I have received 2 flipsky 4.12 vescs and want to test them if they work. I am going to read the whole vesc starterguide and stuff like this one:

but I am a bit in a rush because I want to be able to get new ones from aliexpress if they are not working (you know you only are able to do that for a few days)

So question is: can I run a vesc on my lab bench powersupply (max 16v and 3a) just to test them with my remote just by plugging everything correctly in? or do I first need to do other stuff (like programming it already) to better prepare it so it will not break?

4.12 vesc should run from 8V. If you want to spin up motors you need first run a motor detection. Means you need to hook the vesc up to bldc or vesc tool. Not sure if 3a enough for running the motor detection, but this you will find out by trying :wink:

1 Like

I’m still super confused about Li-ion battery cutoff voltages. I think I have mine set up wrong since I’m only getting about 15 miles range with my Samsung 30q 12s4p but got 30 miles out of it before on unknown cutoffs.

Max voltage per cell: 4.2v Min voltage: 3.2v

Multiply that by 12 since I have 12 cells in series and it should be:

Max cuttoff: 50.4v Min cutoff: 38.4v

I currently have it set as such to prolong cell life:

Max cutoff: 42.0v Min cutoff: 39.0v

I don’t think this is right because my Metr.pro constantly changes these vesc settings among others so I removed it from my system. Help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem correct to me either. You got a 604,8wh battery which means you use 25wh/km. Your max cutoff is set to 42v but right above you says it should be at 50.4v. That’s a pretty big difference. Maybe it has something to do with that?

I’ve upped it to 49/39. Give it a full charge and see what happens in the morning.

1 Like

What you mean with max cut off? There is only cut off start and end. LiIon can be discharged till 2.5v per cell. The standard settings with the ackmaniac sw are cut off start at 3v and cut off end at 2,8V. If you set it to 3,2 and 3v it’s still a nice headroom till 2,5V. Try this settings and look if you get a better range. If no, than check you pack, maybe one cell or parallel group went bad.

I would like to start using lights on my build, they need a 5v source, can I use 5v from the Vesc? (flipsky 6.6) or I have to use a ubec? it;s kinda hard to find one for 12s.

Your vesc can output only 0.5a if I remember right. Plus you don’t want to risk a cut out because of faulty hardware you connect to the vesc. Better to use a step down converter or Bec like this:

I bought mine on hobbyking but can’t find it at the moment. They still should have just search a bit.

should I also step down from 7v to 5v for the leds?

Found the one I bought on hobbyking

There you get twice 5V output, up to 20a. More then enough for every light :wink:

1 Like

I actually already have this for my lights, would it be possible to use this as a phone charger as well?

Ordering, thank you sir.

1 Like

If you add solder on a charging port theoretically yes, but I don’t know how the amps are regulated…

I use this for one of my buildings Schau, was ich auf AliExpress gefunden https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bawY49du It’s like a waterproof powerbank with a 12v and 5V output with place for 6x 18650s. If you have space for it on your board it’s maybe an oportunity.

now thats something im interested in now. Ive got plenty of space in my enclosure to add this. would be interesting though to check if the bec can safely charge a phone.

1 Like

I think it output only as much amps as needed, but I didn’t tried yet so I don’t want to say something i‘m not sure in. Maybe you have an old phone laying around to try it on?

1 Like