NKP 3-link evolution thread

Dry lake bed speed testing with the NKP 3-link. Set-up entailed lowering the rear bars flat reducing rear steer to 2 deg. Also lowering the front bars to 20deg reducing front steer. Bushings again we’re not desirable as in SPD1 but we’re a harder Duro for the dirt surface. Set-up made a successful 54mph radar pass. Unfortunately the rear drive wheels broke traction at 57mph and ended our day.

https://youtu.be/MwTvFOd_V6E

6 Likes

Thanks for the updates on your suspension builds for your speed run. Amazing work.

1 Like

Next phase for the NKP 3-link is it’s weak sauce bushings. Thanks to @Alphamail and the expert people at Riptide these trucks have tuning options. What an asset these guys are for tuning a board. Can’t say enough how important options are when you have solid information to go with it.

8 Likes

Next Page I thought was going to be an off road NKP 3-link Swing arm suspension setup on @Psychotiller six shooters. (Tiller it would happen sooner if they would let it run at Evolve World Cup, ) Next page is Gravity Sport NKP 3-link DH. 150mm 50deg adjustable to 40deg and more… Would like to see these in competition by the end if summer. Hey! @Hummie this is the truck I’m gonna put your hubs on.:checkered_flag:.

16 Likes

Can not wait to see the feedback from the DH guys on these MoeBro!

I have my fingers crossed that because the bushings are set up directionally along the axis of the axle they will handle the latteral load of sliding in a smooth and predictable fashion. The reported linear lean/turn response I think already points to this being a possibility.

Exciting times Bro, can not wait to see what comes next. Stoked with development so far, This is the best news story getting around :muscle::smiley:

3 Likes

Hope this helps if your still scratching your head…:ok_hand: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfrSdhLD5TW/

2 Likes

Just so I’m sure I am understanding…

On the front trucks do the swing arms essentially you to have mondo loose trucks without having to worry about wobble? Does it do anything for the return to center?

I’m always amazed by the stuff you do. I’d have to wear a diaper to go as fast as you do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Front and rear truck perform the same steer effect as a TKP or RKP truck. NKP 3-link is a mechanically linked steering system. No play or slop… the tilt to steer ratio is adjustable at either end, just like changing the baseplate angle on a conventional precision truck. On the video I backed off the bushing preload to illustrate truck articulation.

3 Likes

How heavy are these NKP badboys? Are you using steel or aluminum for the ‘trailing rods’?

Current total assembly weighs in at 780gram compared to a TKP around 460g Radius rods are aluminum with steel rod ends. Intentionally overbuilt but has lots of places to lighten it.

I probably think about this design way too much, really quite interesting.

Does it really need the two ‘radius rod’ links, would one suffice? Seems the main spherical bearing would constraint all translational degrees of freedom, and only one radius rod would be required to maintain the rotational arc. Could be missing something here, but that’s how I have it’s working figured in my head right now.

That’s not to say I can’t see the benefit of having two arms from a stiffness/robustness POV.

The center spherical allows the axle to pitch roll and yaw. Does require two radius rods to maintain and control axle function…

2 Likes

NKP gravity 3-link. In a satisfactory place with the bushing setup. You can now dial in your bushing feel to a specific durometer, adj the preload to fine tune and it locks out wheel bite. We accomplished this by making a two stage bushing. Stoked! IMG_20180329_052309

8 Likes

Did you notice I flipped the beveled washer so the flat is against the bushing?

2 Likes

How easily can you mount motors and belts to these?

1 Like

I noticed the air gap but thought the preload was set loose. Washer cupping options. Hmm. :+1:

Easy as welding a motor mount to the steel clamp collar. Belted no problem… would have to make an idler for my gear drive to get the motor spaced away enough to have hardware clearance… but also doable…

I have a few questions ATM.

These an original design? MoeStooge Exclusive?

How long have these been around?

How’s the road vibration?

1 Like

Yes. 1yr. Ride is A more harsh than RKP when on 150mm hanger using urethane wheels. Ride gets better as the hanger widens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LuthlKqPE0&feature=share

5 Likes