News to the Name VESC

Tame yourself @JTAG!

Frank

15 Likes

three modes of sensor detection over one connector? and the way the connectors are flush with the PCB. Wow.

To late, I spilled coffee all over the place :heart_eyes: .

Unfortunately the sensor text is mirror flipped. Benjamins little mistake. Forgive him!

That looks proper smart.

Quick question though. Does this mean we will all need deep enclosures or will it be packaged with cables with 90 degree plugs?

Does it have a 5v out other than over ppm?

what? a simple mistake? From a human being?

Unforgivable.

2 Likes

Finally had the time to look at the pictures close. Ow my ow my, the VESC no longer looks like a cheap low cost gadget. It looks like an awesome finished product!

LOVE IT, thanks for all the hard work you all :heart_eyes:!

3 Likes

next week Frank, i can’t wait!. great work BV and Trampa. get well soon BV.

Has 5v on sensor port. You can switch that down to 3.3V. 5V on COMM or CAN is also possible.

Frank

1 Like

is an accessory circuit totally out of the question at this point? I’m assuming so, but i have to ask.

i’d kill for 3, 5, and 12v rails for lighting and stuff so that i don’t have to use a BEC or UBEC.

I think its better to have that externally. A BMS is a better place for a power supply. The VESC PCB is very packed with parts. Not much space left!

Frank

When will the Beta be done and the Firmware released? @trampa

Soon, but now Benjamin needs to get the feedback and get everything sorted. It’s more about the structure, so that contributions can be made in a structured way. Otherwise it will get a bit messy. So better nail things now than start in a rush and mess things up. As stated before, it’s a matter of manpower, which will be resolved once stable funding is guaranteed. We are talking about a restart of the entire Project.

Frank

It seems to me that anything that we formerly called a VESC we should now just call an ESC8. This new moniker starts with “ESC” (which it is) and the “8” basically makes it an ESC designed for electric sk8boards. This makes it unique and differentiates it from the ESC’s used in RC cars, planes, etc. We’d all know that physically it’s a VESC and give Vedder the credit he is due under the terms of the licensing agreement.

Enertion could have an ESC8-X Series, Torque could have an ESC8-T Series, Carvon could have an ESC8-C Series, and we (Jet Skateboards) could have an ESC8-J Series of Electronic Speed Controllers. We could add numbers and/or letters for different versions/generations such as a ESC8-J4.12 or ESC8-J6. Alternatively we could put the brand before it and the version number after it such as a Jet ESC8-v4.12 or Jet ESC8-V6 or Jet ESC8.4.12

That’s my two cents. Nobody steal my ESC8-J name!

4 Likes

Sorry for off-topic. @ChrisChaput: are you with Jet Skateboards? Then where the hell are all Spud and Potato decks? We need more!

1 Like

Controllers based on the VESC-Project, are in most cases universal for all sorts of equipment, so naming it ESK8 whatever means cutting off all the other potential markets. Everyone using the same brand is not very wise, because in the end you want to build up a reputation, linked to your own brand. That is in the very interest of every brand. Customers buy from a certain source because they trust that source.

There is a logo and partner program in place. This program can be used for identifying compatibility and showing project support. Customers will see who is supportive and they will see that 100% compatibility with the VESC-Software solutions is guaranteed. This does not mean the device is of a certain quality, because quality is something the individual brand has to stand in for.

The best way forward is a rebranding, fair use of the trademark and joining the official partner program to support Benjamin, and show the compatibility. A bit of invest into R&D is very wise, since more equipment and software can be developed, which makes more equipment available, which means the customer has access to more and better hardware/software and the manufacturer and vendor has more to offer and will in consequence have better sales. Most companies invest quite a bit into R&D, why would you want your R&D source to dry out, if you base your sales on the projects achievements? In my eyes it’s stupid to cut that corner.

Starting a campaign to rename or confuse the origin of the technology and software is purely an attempt to hide away the fact that the technology is coming from a certain source that put all the effort in to make it available in the first place.

Now everyone has the chance to join in and support the project and in return being granted huge benefits. In the end it’s in the customers hands, since he will make the decision to purchase from a vendor/manufacturer who is project-supportive or not. This is only possible if a transparent system is in place, allowing the customers to clearly identify project supporters. Since this transparency will be given very soon, there is no reason to be afraid of anything. The new, official partner program branding will establish itself in no time.

Frank

. Changed my mind.

1 Like

I think re-branding should only happen once a specific change has been made to the original open source design. Could get a little confusing for the uninitiated otherwise.

ESC8 sounds like a good name for a fork in the OS design specific to electric skate. Or V-ESC8?

1 Like

@chacka, i think your redesign from 4.12 with direct Fet´s was a good way for all the customer they want a good 4.12 that was working and don´t want pay over 350$ fore one V… We have redesigned the 4.12 too and we have used some parts from your design. And i must say ist very good working. You give the community your knowledge continue and try it making better. And you will not get rich by it. But it is and remains a community that is strong But not stupid. I wish you for your work And toil also thanks get

5 Likes

Don’t forget about @onloop and especially @Blasto for their contribution with the VESC-X. Nice to be able control the heat with the Direct-FETs isn’t it!

3 Likes