Kingfisher Drive (Project dead, at least for now.)

Final design’s been sent out to the manufacturer, awaiting a quote now. I’ll let everyone know as soon as I hear back. Hopefully within the next few days.

2 Likes

IMG_20181015_172347_2 First prototype came in, just waiting for some bolts from mcmaster to get testing started.

9 Likes

That’s such a nice looking mount! How much would dual mounts cost??

Currently estimating around 75-100 USD for a dual drive (includes cross bar)… Don’t trust that range though, I need to get a full BOM and quote for a bulk order first.

How does the idler contact belt? That’s a pretty drastic adjustment for such short C-C.

Put me down for a dual set please! I’ll be using them on TB 218’s with TB 6380’s. I have the 15mm kegel pulley from @Kug3lis. Just want to make sure everything will fit. They look great, how long till you’ll be ready to ship…?

1 Like

Likely have a functional test model working in a week or so, then probably ship a month or a month and a half after that. May be delayed from low order volume, it really depends how many. I’ll need at least 20 to get an order, I’ll probably front the rest of the cash once I get 10 user confirmations. I can’t really give an accurate time estimate because of that.

Is that ten mounts or ten sets?

Can you show a few pics of them mounted on a complete board or just mounted?

Unfortunately 10 sets, L / R are mirror images and MOQ is 20 of any given part.

I’ll post pictures once I have all the hardware to mount them. I think I have some 9mm belts with the right tooth count that I can squeeze on, just for demo purposes.

Do you have a pic of them with the cross bar attacked?

Between $75 - $100 is quite a bit, relative to the overall price that is. What are some things that could make it much more than the $75 version?

Depends how many sizes of crossbar are needed, it has to change relative to the truck width, etc… Besides that, black anodize could be pricey, I’m not sure how much it’ll affect price.

Sorry that I sound blunt saying this, but what advantage would it offer over say Dickyho mount, given the price? Tension adjustment?

Or even Marc’s mounts…

Ive already asked but it must have gone unnoticed. Whats up with the idler being so far inwards? D That’s a drastic curve backwards that the belt has to take.

Sorry my bad. The distance inwards doesn’t negatively affect performance. Whether it’s in or out, it still has to take the same bend radius (11mm). The fact that there’s more length of belt bent at once means just that, there’s more belt that’s bent. What’s important to designate is that it is not bending any more than other idlers that use 22mm bearings. So it should not be any harder on the belts themselves. IMO, it’s better because you get much better tooth wrap on the motor pulley.

Its not performance in worried about. Your causing the belt to bend on its self backwards which opens your tooth profile. Granted nothing wrong with that from our eyes. But what you do cause is stress on the inner fibers of the belt causing them to break over time. Such a drastic tension isn’t needed in our applications. Not saying you’re wrong. Just my experience with automotive applications with belts.

1 Like

Oh it definitely is bending the belt backwards. HTD belt is rated to a 16mm radius bend while under load. An 11 mm bend isn’t great, but it is on the slack side of the belt, which helps a lot.

My point above is that every other motor mount that uses a 22mm bearing for an idler is also bending the belt just as much, so it can’t be any worse.

IMG_20181018_030724 IMG_20181018_030901 IMG_20181018_030802 IMG_20181018_030739

I got it together, everything nice and sinched tight. Will post a video of it running tomorrow, I’ve got a spare battery and a few focboxes lying around. I’ll try and strap everything to a deck and take it for a spin. Only single drive for now since I only have one functional motor.

Also out of town starting Friday - Monday, so tomorrow’s my last post for a bit.

2 Likes

IMG_20181024_001241

Sorry for the delay, life got in the way. Here’s a pic to tide you all over, I won’t have a battery for a while so no video unfortunately. But I’ll post a video of a bench test soon.

Looks like it’s going to cost $60 USD for a DUAL drive.

This includes everything pictured (including unseen idler bearing, and excluding belt and pulley).

One consideration is the cross bar length. It would have to change depending on the length of the hanger and the width of the pulleys… I’m going to have to make a poll eventually to figure out what sizes are in highest demand.

Final parts will be anodized black.

4 Likes