[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hi @Andreu 3D printed mounts will not really work for long as long as you don’t plan to support them with other materials. On the bms side you need first to decide if you want a charge only or a charge and discharge bms for your board. Than we can give you some recommendations which model to choose.

By the way, it’s Ah no A for your battery capacity :wink:

@BuckyBadger Welcome here! Like your attitude! Never too old to start something new… :ok_hand: and don’t worry, you not the only one who never really was skating before. Start slowly and things will come over time. I started last year with getting a boosted. 2month later i was fully into diy… If you enjoy building, I wouldn’t go with an evolve. Not want to say they bad choice. But anyway your first build will need an improvement, doesn’t matter if you had a prebuilt before or not. So i would rather spend the money to build a diy and after use the money safed to adjust it like you want than to get a evolve and spend 400-500$ for a battery update. Take your time reading here. @venom121212 linked some good threads to start with. If you done with some research just start your own build thread and ask the things you not sure in. Here are a lot of experienced builder and rider willing to help you to find your right way!

2 Likes

Hi. My name is Joker and I’m an addict.

5 Likes

Hiiiii Joker

2 Likes

Hello there, I’m Jarno and planning on making my first esk8. I am looking to make a board that can go up to 30km/h with a range of 22km in a country without hills. My budget will be a maximum of 1200$ but whould like to spend less. So far I think I’ll need a single motor with a VESC motor controller and a 10S2P 5000Ah LiPO pack.

Hi there! I would suggest looking at increasing the parallel cell count with your budget and the range you want. I think you’ll be very happy.

1 Like

I used the calculator at https://calc.3dservisas.eu to find my range. And the budget is a ceiling I will not pass and prefer to stay far under. More range whould be nice but it whould also cost more and I don’t know how many LiPOs will fit under a board, whould you know how many whould fit in most normal cases? Should I also look at waterproof motors? since it can rain suddenly.

Personally, I’m a fan of lithium ion packs. I think you can build a great board under your budget. Most unsealed motors have a decent waterproofing on them but you can always disassemble them and take extra waterproofing protection.

1 Like

Seeing as Liion packs can have many more discharge cycles it does indeed look like a good option since with my wanted max speed I won’t need as much current as other builds. Do you have any sugestions for motors and Lithium ion packs?

I buy all of my lithium ion packs from @hyperIon1. Phenomenal quality and price. @b264 posted a good single motor size recommendation list earlier. Perhaps he can chime in.

1 Like
2 Likes

You have to take the motor apart and make it waterproof yourself. If you run unsensored, water won’t hurt the motor electrically (but still can eat bearings eventually). Only the sensors are affected by water.

I don’t like uncensored though…

1 Like

Right now my first choise goes to this motor: https://eskating.eu/product/eskating-pro-motors-6374-190kv-waterproof-sealed-and-sensored/.

eskating eu has really terrible customer service from my experience, I wouldn’t buy anything from them ever.

Especially when the same motor is available from someone else

2 Likes

Does this have anything to do with you being in the US? Lazyroller Daniel seems to have good experience with them

1 Like

Being told to “go fuck yourself” has nothing to do with location. Just don’t do business with that asshat.

2 Likes

ahhhh one of those people. I once worked for a company where the owner was like that…company closed down, I wonder why.

2 Likes

Hello, I have been reading here for a while and decided to register about 3 weeks ago. I started out on a boosted board and LOVED the ride but became frustrated with the poor range and small wheels. I sold my boosted board on Ebay and ordered a Trampa Orrsom longboard with pneumatic 6.5" tires and a dual motor setup. I have the 12s LIPO setup in place now, but I ordered a K-Weld spot welder and plant to build a 12s 18650 battery. I also plan to swap out the Trampa 154kv motors for Maytech 200kv motors as I like to go FAST! I am looking forward to modifying my Trampa board and building my own battery pack. . My long term goal is to design and build a board from the ground up. Thanks to all who are sharing what they know, this is truly a living encyclopedia if esk8 building knowledge. I will continue to read and hopefully be able contribute as time goes on.

3 Likes

I am a stepwise DIYer. A long time surfer that never rode a skateboard until this past December. I saw someone on an electric skateboard and thought it looked like fun. So I did a little research, and being an engineer in a similar field, chose an Exway - which offers a lot of techie stuff. I hoped to be able to commute the short 2 miles I have to work. I fell in love with it instantly and it only took about a month before I ran out of range on that. So I purchased a Bamboo GTX AT. My short commute goes over very ragged roads in an industrial park - the trucks tear up the roads. Now I regularly go out for 8 to 10 mile rides and I’m looking for more engineery perfection. I have replaced the bushings and dropped in ceramic bearings. Purchased a torque screwdriver so I can play with low torques on the small hardware on the board. I tried valiantly to balance the stock Evolve AT wheels/tires but determined it isn’t possible so I have ordered a set of Six Shooters with the 60t gears. I am going through the excellent calculators you have provided and I believe the stock 15t motor gear works and I will need 74 tooth belts, although I plan on double checking that before ordering the belts. I liked the smooth acceleration of the Exway so after the wheels I will replace the speed controller with a VESC. Eventually, when I am satisfied, (I understand I will be wanting a new battery next) I will move everything to a new DIY board and put all the stock gear back on the Evolve for friends to ride. This way I can take my time to get a build right while still being able to ride every day.

3 Likes

Great to have you here! You seem to already have a good plan laid out but we’re here to help if you have any questions.

1 Like