[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Not a lot of people are using 21700 yet. They’re expensive and big. I’d stick to 18650.

3 Likes

So you undetstood that there is no clear answer to your question. It’s all up to your personal preference and your budget. My personal preference would be the Samsung 30q cell. They have a good capacity and can put 20a per cell. According your other questions you didn’t specify anything. We don’t know: Do you use one or two motors Which motor size Which range you want to reach What is your budget Do you live in a hilly area How heavy you are How heavy you want your build to get What you much current you want your vescs to handle Is it important for you that the vesc has an anti spark switch integrated or will you go with a discharge bms Etc etc

3 Likes

Well with as many cells i could fit under that deck, which is a small and light deck/build. The board is feather light, so all the weight would be in the motors and batteries. The area from truck to truck is 19x8.7, so it would be at a minimum 10s, but more likely 12s. It is still in shipping, so when I receive it, i need to find a store that sells the 18650s in order to gague the exact number of cells. With that you know the range will be limited to 10-12s, and I cannot see using one motor with that much power. It wouldn’t matter what my weight is or how hilly it is with that much power. I imagine it would weigh approximately 25lbs and be able to go over 20 miles without having to worry about hills.

Im really having trouble finding a store or supplier in this country though.

Man if you are going to come here asking for advice, I urge you to be polite and answer questions asked. You’re speaking to someone who knows a great deal about this subject. @Andy87 wouldn’t be asking you questions that didn’t matter.

This might help

Are you restricted to only using suppliers in the country?

1 Like

Your range not only depends if 10 or 12s, it depends more on how much cells you add in parallel. You can use only one motor even with a 12s20p battery pack. Your pack just output as much as you ask for, or as much as it max can. Have a look at ru.nkon.nl for cells. They maybe ship also to Korea

2 Likes

I was about to place an order for 48 30Q 3000mAH cells but it says shipping can take over 3 weeks just to ship (probably another month in transit), so I will try to find some place here this weekend. If not i’ll order from them and wait.

There are no US shippers who will ship lion or lipo batteries to this country without shipping it as HAZMAT. If they do ship it as HAZMAT then the cost is outrageous.

Make sure that your local shops selling you legit cells. Nkon does and it is worth waiting just in case.

3 Likes

Yeah, Im really close to China, so finding legit unprotected cells is a hurdle. That and the fact that there seems to be absolutely no battery stores anywhere, only manufactures.

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

So I spend all day looking for the 30Q Samsung cells in Vape stores. They are all over the place here. I went to 10-15 stores and very few (maybe 3) had legit cells, additionally the only legit cells they had were 25R and wanted to charge w12,000 or about $11 per cell. Every other place had fake cells from China wrapped in the pink Samsung wrapper.

I ended up placing an order through Nkon. I found out they had solder tabs, so thats really awesome and will really help me build the pack. I ordered 36 plus a couple extra, so I am going to try to fit a 12s3p under the deck.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hi iam M0W i would like to build a board similiar to the slick revolution urban kick.

i read a lot already and i would need help to find the right parts. My limits is around 500€ +/-

Maybe someone got some great tips i would really appreciate it. Thank you

2 Likes

I’ve been riding evolves since the original carbon. Have a bamboo GT now and looking to upgrade it to a street weapon. Running 107mm A11’s for the power to go up hills and acceleration.

Would like to get back into the AT’s with the custom pack

Can someone tell me how to PM on this freaking site?

1 Like

I am a complete newbie live in Wisconsin. I am 57 years old, retired for 6 months, married for 35 years, the father of 2 grown boys and a grandpa to 3 little boys ages 2, 4 and 7. I live in an area where I very seldom see a skateboarder. I have never skate boarded. I am 6’2” tall and about 245 pounds. I’m a big guy and know it and I am working on it. I am a BS in Electrical Engineering and an MS is Mechanical Engineering.

Now the really crazy part for a guy like me - I want to buy, and possibly eventually build, an electric longboard and learn to ride it. I plan to start by purchasing an Evolve GT with AT Wheels. You are probably laughing right now but I am serious! I am an outgoing fellow and in my younger years climbed all over the world, ran 42 marathons, bicycled across the USA twice- but that was all a long time ago. In Wisconsin here people will think I am nuts and have lost my mind but I don’t care. I live out in the country. The roads are all paved and mainly low traffic. The pavement is sometimes worn and abrasive but normally does not have potholes, etc. I could ride for miles. The terrain is slightly rolling with small gradual hills.

Is it reasonably possible for someone who is enthusiastic like me to learn to ride an Evolve electric board? I am serious about this!

At present it is winter here in Wisconsin and I couldn’t ride her until mid April. I would like to get geared up between now and that time. :blush:

Please let me know your thoughts. I really need some experienced guidance to get going and start out correctly this late in my life.

I don’t plan to ask or get anyone’s approval here from my family or friends. I am just going to do it and learn through doing and the road rash and fun that comes from learning something new. I look forward to meeting many of you online!

Thank you!

7 Likes

Interesting story. Any reason not to go full diy?

Thanks Moon! I need to start somewhere and riding is the best way for me to even understand the basics of what makes a good build. I have never even seen an esk much less rode one. I want to learn to ride first, see if I like it and can do it, see what I like in an esk, then make the decision to build one. I hope to get there!

1 Like

hi, my name is Andreu i would like to build a electric mountain board 12sp2 with 8 A, the batteries are 4A 6s and 30c i dont know if this is the best option because i would need a bms and a charguer for 12s , i plan to use a single motor SK3 - 6374-192kv and do the motor mount by my self with a 3d printer. About the speed controler i think the vesc is the best option Could you help me from your experince to select a bms and a charguer or you think i would have to change something. i would like to ride arround 10km and reach at least 40km/h to go to the university. thanks for your time

Evolve aren’t bad but if you find a used diy board then that will be a better option imo

Nice to see some new guys entering the sport, and I know we have a couple older folks here who build and ride like the best of them. Can’t wait to see what you put out when you start building.

I’m officially invested in your success brother! I’m 27, but like you, had never skated before finding this place. I highly suggest looking into a full DIY build. The general saying here is buy it nice or buy it twice. We’re all here to help so feel free to ask as many questions as you want in the noob thread or once you reach a higher member level you can make your own thread specific to your build plan.

The very best place for you to start is here to decide if DIY is right for you (I think it is, you’re an engineer)

And then here once you decide you’re committed to building the perfect board for you and not one built for the masses.

Good luck in your journey!

1 Like

Hello all! Im 42 male originally from Florida. Spent the last 5 years in Wyoming and just moved to salt lake city utah. I have been riding a santa cruz bigfoot board in Wyoming but it was syolen when i moved here…along with everything i owned…no worries. Ive only riddien a drop through once and it was ok…i am an old surfer so really all i do is big carves and curb to curb carves on hills…i dont have a liscence anymore and i cant push a board with my foot anymore so electric is my future vehicle for life. Anyone have an opinion on the company full bag???

Hey man im excited for you!!! Im 42 and i skate everywhere as i cannot have a DL. I thi k walking and skating keep me young. To answer your question HELL YES YOU CAN DO THIS! Sounds like you have some life skills that will come in handy.