[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

For the battery you need a BMS (Battery Management System) There are charge only and charge/discharge BMS Most people seem to use only a charge BMS as discharge are pricier (and I also think there aren’t many of them) The BMS will balance your cells, your parallel groups to be exactly, so that they all stay on the same voltage, so you wont overcharge (unlikely if right charger is used) or undercharge one of your parallel group causing damage to it

It can be either in your charger you want to load with a laptopstyle charger, so you need to have it in your board or battery pack, depends on the battery pack you gonna buy

For the ESC, as you want a 1WD, I’d go with a Focbox as long as they are sold, they seem to be popular and reliable. Else I don’t know, as I’m also highly new into DIY and am still learning myself

Thanks a lot! Would something like this work?

As long as you go with a 10S Battery (Lower should also be possible but not quite sure how that thing works) it should work, atm I don’t know myself how/what I will do there - but that’s why we have this forum :slight_smile: 10S will be good for your build, maybe you can even go lower - motor description says it wants 10S, so it’ll be probably the best -, depends on how powerfull your board should be

I see it’s a charge/discharge bms, nice -> will be safer (even though I’m not sure if you want your board to catch fire or not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) 40A max discharge should be ok -> can someone confirm this?

-> looks good to me, but rather ask someone with more knowledge, to be sure it’ll work

Hey im Ed and I’ve been lurking around the forum trying to learn more before building my own skateboard. I have a small background in electronics, and was brought here by a friend. Im trying to build my own board right now something unique for sure. Still got some reading to do but can’t wait to get started!

3 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m new here. I’m addicted to electric vehicles and anything with personal electric mobility. So far, i have built an ebike, and i have 2 electric unicycles. Next project is to build an eboard.:grin: I also want to meet people with the same interest.

2 Likes

Welcome! From where you are? We have different groups in different countries. For sure there is one close to you too :wink:

I bought a similar BMS to that Vruzend one for my son’s board and for my 10s battery, I purchased a different one from buildkitboards. I personally like the smaller one from BKB. The Vruzend one is a charge and discharge BMS and is a bit larger. As the Vruzend BMS couldn’t handle the amps that my skateboard was going to need, I ended up bypassing the discharge. The BKB BMS is charge only, so thinner, and am very happy with it.

https://buildkitboards.com/collections/batteries/products/bestech-d140-charge-only-bms?variant=12511076909150

Hi! I’m completely new to skateboarding and esk8:ing. I’m an engineer and work with software development in Stockholm/Sweden and I like to tinker with IoT-stuff like Raspberry Pi’s and Arduinos. Building an Esk8 seems like a really fun project and this excellent forum got me hooked. My idea is to build an esk8 together with my 8-year old son (maybe the other two (11 and 13 years old) will join as well). The idea is mainly to have fun building it, but of course it will be really nice if it works as well :wink:

Since none of has skated before our goals are probably a bit different from the average esk8er:

1. To have fun building it
  2. To learn stuff about electronics, mechanics and batteries on the go
  3. To build something reasonably safe
  4. To build something stable and easy to ride
  5. To find good budget alternatives, I’m thinking of a total budget around 300-400€. Buying used components is totally OK.

Speed, range and durability will be unimportant to start with.

I started out by watching this tutorial: BigKids - HOW TO BUILD A DIY ELECTRIC :zap: SKATEBOARD TUTORIAL PART 1 - BETTER THAN A BOOSTED BOARD

I’m thinking of similar parts as in the video from BangGood, but maybe the quality is not good enough? We are not going to ride the e-skate in traffic for a start. If we can get the board to run reasonably well and safely on a level surface we will be more than happy.

One thing I’m thinking of is if I can maybe save some money by reusing my Arduino or Raspberry Pi and use a breakout board for an ESC controlled by the Pi/Arduino. Seeing the prices for a cheap VESC this might not be worth the effort though ( See this one: Flipsky ESC on BangGood).

1 Like

Hi, I’m experimenting with a few electric hobby builds (longboard, e-drift trike, upgrad my lawn mower) and want to fabricate as much myself as possible… Currently building my first 18650 pack. Lots of great info on this forum, Thanks!

4 Likes

New to eboards but have extensive drafting, design and building experience. Just need to read up on the electrical components and figure out the best place in the US to find all the parts I need!!

@ShueBox I’d start with MBS if you want to build a beauty and @psychotiller if you want to build a beast. Welcome!

1 Like

old builder new account, sixth build coming soon, this is becoming an addiction :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

Um… bud. I think you passed that bridge a few builds ago

2 Likes

HI, I’m Zach and I am currently looking for the best way and practical way to build a Eskate board that has max speed and max distance. I’m a 225 lb rider. I have looked at YouTube videos and just want the best parts for a price range of 5-600$. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I’m looking for some mounts for my ronnin trucks they are just the stock red ones I’d like to run a dual setup with a focbox

i got some questions for u. what do u mean by max speed or range? if you want the max speed and range ur gonna need a board more than 600$. if u want a board that is in that pricerange i suggest a chinese board.

Not gonna get far on 500-600 but its not impossible.

Check this out

Ollin boards makes them

You are going to have to choose max speed or max distance as well as function/ performance vs reliability. Because you can not have both is a $500 budget.

1 Like

hey my name is Jay. Im a new member and new to this community. I used to skate all through my younger years but launched myself into a busy work life early on… so in all senses lost touch with my skateboarding routes. As i learned of electric skateboards i got more and more interested in the scene. I have since bought a budget board (backfire g2s) for my wife, and a diy kit for myself. I went with the backfire g2s for my wife because shes literally 100lbs soaking whet with a parka on. Whereas i went with a diy 10s5p kit for me self because im a larger 250lb guy, and well i figured i needed the extra :zap: . All that being said… i am currently waiting on the diy kit, as well as a set of mbs wheels and a drop down deck. Looking forward to learning from as many folks as i can and possibly meeting some too! I live in Ottawa Ontario. Later!

3 Likes