[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

hi my name is Dave and I just got into Eskating a few months ago and love it. I am here to find out if I can convert my 41inch metroboard single motor into a dual motor with all terrain wheels. can it be done and what parts do you guys recommend?

Hey, usertag Blitqz. Just getting into the thought process of eskating, never really skated before, thus going for the longboard.

Likely Iā€™ll start with something like a WoWgo 2s with Sanyo battery, or something similar like the Meepo or Ownboard.

From there, all things depending on like, etcā€¦ My plan is to build a board from scratch with an eye for top end quality components. My only drawback at this point is the decks themselves and matching decks with enclosures since I canā€™t find any longboards out there that have built in enclosures (which seems like it would be a genius idea - kind of like the torqueboard 29" on the DIY website).

Thus interested in peoples opinions of what the best parts are from decks/enclosures, vesc, battery, remotes, trucks, wheels, motors, etcā€¦

hello guys, my name is Danilo and Iā€™m building a MTB board, double engine, I have only one question. I buy two focboxes for my engines but how do they connect to their respective engines? neither the positive nor the negative nor the control cable are indicated ā€¦ do you have a clue?

The motors have phase wires, 3 of them. Each of these phase wires connect to the phase leads on the FocBox.

hello thanks for the reply! for the engines I have the colors of the cables and I know what they are, but I do not know what they match on the focbox because they are not saw ā€¦ can you tell me on the focbox what are the negative positive and the other?

Hi Guys,

Justsideways/Jeremy here. Iā€™m getting set for my first build. Mainly using Hobbyking parts. Oh yeah this will be a budget build for me as well.

Parts: Skate hardware 40" drop deck Caliber II 50Ā° RPK trucks 1" 3dprinted risers with rubber pads

Motor and motor hardware HK Motor motor mount HK belt cover kit HK Belt and pulley set HK Vesc HK SK8 6374 192kv

Battery / controller Diyeboards 10s5p battery with case, charger, bms, power switch, and voltage indacator Diyeboards rc2 TX/RX controller

Hi, I was wondering if someone could critique my build:

Trucks : Caliber Trucks Cal II 50Ā° RKP Longboard Trucks Wheels: 83 mm Longboard Cruiser Wheels Flywheels Pulley & belt : Pulleys And Motor Mount DIY Parts Kit For 83/90/97MM Wheels spacers, bearings, bolts : Skateboard 1/8 Ruber Riser Pads + ABEC 7 Bearings + Spacers + 1.25 Hardware motor mount: DIYE Premium Electric Skateboard Motor Mount Controller: XCSOURCE 2.4GHz Radio Transmitter Remote Controller + 4 Channel Splash Proof Receiver + Binding Plug for Electric Skateboard OS917 Battery 6s2p : 2x ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 20C Motor : Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-190KV Brushless Outrunner Motor ESC : TORQUE ESC BLDC ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROLLER

1 Like

Post pictures of your motors/leads coming out of them. Typically an ESC has the power input, on a FOCBox or VESC this is typically an XT-90 connector, large yellow one with large gauge wires going from it to the VESC. The three wires that are black typically with bullet connectors are the ā€œphase wiresā€ and send power from the ESC out to the motor. Be sure to read up before connecting things or attempting to calibrate for your motor and controller and post images of what you have for now.

Assuming you have a BLDC motor it should have 3 ā€˜phase wires/leadsā€™ coming out of it that connect to the three bullet connectors coming out of the ESC. If you have a brushed DC motor instead of brushless (BLDC) then it will only have 2 wires and canā€™t be controlled by a BLDC ESC (would either need a different ESC or a different motor, would recommend different motor if you have brushed right now).

6S is fairly low voltage for esk8, it might be good for starting off since things wonā€™t be as crazy in terms of top end but you also need more amps to deliver the same watts at lower voltage and more amps equals more heat dissipated from all your components (loss). 6S will move you fine but wonā€™t likely have nearly the punch also the higher amp draw will cause more voltage dip and more stress on the batteriesā€¦ Iā€™d strongly consider going with higher voltage or at least leave yourself room to upgrade in the future.

Also good while budgeting/planning to include any charge equipment youā€™ll need (include power on/off or XT-90 ā€œantispark loop keyā€) and safety gear (for yourself and maybe some for your lipos while charging or laying around).

Hi all, Iā€™ve been on the internet almost as long as Al Gore, but I canā€™t to figure out how to post a question in the Electronics forum.

How do you start a thread there? Iā€™m trying to fix a hub motor and need a push in the right direction.

You need to browse the site for at least 30 minutes before it will show the ā€˜show topicā€™ button (it could take longer) http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/creating-your-first-post/1084 For now would use the search in the top right, if nothing relevant comes up can try posting your issue here.

Thanks. It came up after I posted here and I managed to create a thread.

Thanks for the response! What battery setup would you recommend?

The focbox should also have 3 phase wires. Connect them in any order, if the motor spins the wrong way, switch one of them until it runs in the correct direction.

2 Likes

Buy a commercial board. You will spend more making it yourself. DIY is for ā€œbetterā€ stuff, not ā€œcheaperā€ stuff. If you want hub motors Iā€™m assuming low-price is your goal. You canā€™t beat a cheap china board for price, like the Meepo board.

Thanks for the reply! I wonder why Iā€™m afraid of making a mistake to connect the engine to the focbox and burn it ā€¦

good morning guys I showed up but I did not describe my project ā€¦ Iā€™m Danilo alive in Italy and Iā€™m building an off-road longboard. I have the following components: 2 230kv 6374 bruschless sensored engines 2 focbox antispark 10s 10ah lipo battery battery voltage 40 "table I hope to do everything as soon as possible, I can not wait to use it! thanks for the previous posts you answered to me

Personally run 10S since I think 12S is just more power than I want to use on a board. I started with 12S but burned up some cells in one of the packs (dropped voltage too low) so switched to 6S temporarily and was just a lack luster experience (on 149kv especially slow). So think 10S is pretty ideal but would just say somewhere in the 8-12 range will be a better experience in general.

Hi everyone. Iā€™ve been lurking for the last couple of months but today I fried my VESC. Have a Ollin vesc 4.12 HW and 3.38 SW. Itā€™s blinking red when trying to rotate motor and is giving the error code: FAULT_CODE_DRV. Itā€™s my DRV that is fried probably. Can I replace this myself?

Hi everyone! my name is Ash from Wales, U.K. Looking for a project to get myself busy with over the summer and have pondered over the mountains of electric boards currently on the market and have decided DIY is a good way to go to get my moneys worth! whilst also meeting some like minded and helpful people who most likely have a better understanding of how all of this works than me! haha no clear image of what im looking for currently but iā€™ll be sifting through this great forum for some advice!

Thanks in advance guys!

1 Like