[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Pneumatic tires make all the difference. A powered board is leg tiring, vibrations are killing your feet very fast going long distances without a break for your feet/legs. Riding trails, off road paths and back lanes is just ace! Pneumatics simply widen the potential usability tremendously.

Frank from Trampaboards

1 Like

Hi all, I am new to the forums and plan on building an electric skateboard. My benchwheel dual 1800w died on me a month ago and i plan to scrap the board for parts except the battery. i plan on choosing the right battery and vesc that compliments the motors well and hopefully iā€™ll be able to post my progress on here! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Donā€™t cheap out, pay the cost up front vs more later

1 Like

Hi everyone. Long time lurker.

3 Likes

Out of all of th possible profile pictures lol

6 Likes

Where can I get batteries and motors to build my ownā€¦donā€™t want to pay $1500 for someone else designā€¦been longboarding for 20+ years and also have been clocked at 72mph on a land lugeā€¦

1 Like

Hi guys, trying to evaluate VESC for commercial industrial applications. See where it takes us.

2 Likes

Have been building my own custom longboards since '85 ( used to hear all the timeā€¦Nobody rides a longboard)ā€¦ride them all over San Franciscoā€¦

1 Like

I have been browsing this forum for a month or so but I only found it after originally building my board. I used to be big in RC planes, cars, drones etc so I used my pre-existing knowledge when I picked components. I never even rode a board before a month ago but Iā€™m already looking for more power, speed and reliability. Here is my current build.

I used a cheap motor mount kit from Amazon http://a.co/9ohqF9u and a cheap ebay 50mm 270kv motor. I currently have a VESC and 2x3s lipos in series for 6s and 83mm flywheel clones. I have another on the way for a 9s setup. Even after divoting the truck for the pointed allen set screws AND using RED Loctite (the stuff youā€™re supposed to have to use a torch to remove), Iā€™m having problems with the set screws backing out after riding over expansion cracks and brick (worked fine for a while on asphalt only though). My current gearing is 16/48 for an approx 19mph top speed. Iā€™m looking at getting some caliber trucks and the diy/torque boards caliber 63mm bracket with their improved sprocket kit. My main question is should I go for the SK3 6374 192kv or 149 kv? I ride up some decent size hills where my current setup struggles a bit. Iā€™d like at least the same top speed but preferably 25-30 mph if I can still get enough torque. I only weigh around 150 pounds. I was thinking 9s/ 6374 192kv and 14/36 gearing? Approx 21 mph (same as current) 9s/ 6374 192kv and 16/36 gearing? Approx 25 mph (maybe not enough torque)? 9s/ 6374 149kv and 16/36 gearing? Approx 21 mph (maybe good torque/ efficiency and 12s compatible in the future)

Last thing is how is the quality on the torque boards mount and pulley setup? Any problems with things coming loose after riding over brick and on concrete sidewalks with expansion cracks? And does their 12mm belt stand up to the torque of a large single motor?

How will the torque boards VESC stand up to 9s with these motors?

Thanks again, this forum is a great source of knowledge

i am from brazil, what make the process of doing diy eletric skateboards a pain in the ass. 1)our currency is horrible, we have to pay at least 3/4 times than you guys from europe/canada/usa/australia.

1. we dont have national suppliers, all the parts has to be imported from others country, which is majority of China (of course).

3)the delivered of this parts could be delayed ate least 3/4 months by our Mail Agency, so, patience is the more import part in this process.

i started with the turnigy hobby king skateboard conversion. so far so good by the wayā€¦

Hello My name is Michael, I have been lurking and reading for months and just really want to get started, with a really nice reliable electric board, with all the information I have gathered I have come to the conclusion (unless someone wants to steer me in a different direction) is to buy a board from trampa.com and in my cart right now is

16ply 35Āŗ HOLYPRO - STIFF 154Kv TRAMPA Motor - 14 Tooth - All Round gearing Nah - SILVER Springs are cool for me :slight_smile: RED DAMPAā€™s - 80a Stiff Steering 8 Inch BLUE Primo ALPHA Tyres NO Heel straps Thanks! NO Bags Thanks :slight_smile: MAYTECH rechargable Remote & Receiver - Small size Thumb Operated NON EU CUSTOMER maybe this link will work to the board I have in my cart for a month.

http://www.trampaboards.com/electric-mountainboard-using-pro-motor-mounts-on-holypro-deck-vertigo-trucks-8-inch-hypa-wheels-ratchet-bindings-twin--676e-pro-blue-676e-emtb-holypro-pro-mm-vertigo-hypa-blue--twin-p-13846.html?remove_key=64132&qty=1&offer=0&selector_id=13836&attrib_419=2655&attrib_288=2852&attrib_289=1699&attrib_139=2416&attrib_26=103&attrib_98=2129&attrib_14=53&attrib_24=90&attrib_352=2628&attrib_403=2576#

I am 180lbs I want some good speed but want to get up some pretty decent hills also.

I would have maybe already purchased this but,

My problem is the batteries they recommend are not available and for this first one I just want the board to work right, I will definitely be custom building them in the future. Any recommendations, If I need to build one myself I will but I have just read a lot of experiences that end up burning parts up and

1 Like

Hi, KickMe here from France. Iā€™m thinking of a Trampa eMTB build with dual focbox and lipo. Cheers!

1 Like

Hello!

Iā€™m actually doing some research about personal electric vehicles like e-skateboards to improve a new review site Iā€™m working on: http://haveago.city

It would be an informal 20-30 minute phone chat about your experiences with electric skateboards :slight_smile:

Let me know if youā€™re interested!

Many, many thanks, Terenig

2 Likes

Hey All!!

My nameā€™s Roman. Live in NYC and i just recently got my first beginner board at the end of November (Genesis Hellfire V.3)

And so far Iā€™ve been riding a decent amount every week. About 35-40 miles or so a week in fact since then and its been great!

Now i think Iā€™m ready for the next step up but I want to see what i can upgrade this board to really be one of a kind. I already have a deck swap planned, and mainly am interested in what i can do to boost the top speed by a little bit.

Iā€™ll be making a thread with my ideas and questions later tonight.

Hope to meet some of you IRL on the road! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds interesting, any more details?

I just made my general outline thread in the build.

1 Like

Hi everyone :raising_hand_man:t4: My name is Manny. I just recently got interested in these DIY electric skateboards that you could make yourself. I thought that was pretty awesome because I need some sort of transportation getting too work. I started too watch these DIY videos & at first I really didnā€™t know what anyone was talking about in their videos. So I watched more & more videos then finally got too this website, read a lot stuff that I needed answers too & I can say I feel pretty confident on my first eboard that Iā€™ll be making here soon. Just waiting on my parts too get delivered by end of this month. Thank you for this site. So far I feel like understand partially :blush: Pretty excited !!!

7 Likes

Hiyas Manny. Itā€™s not too hard and we are all here to help. Take a look at the builds section, youā€™ll see a virtual shopping list of components. If you have questions donā€™t hesitate to ask, just search first as the answer is likely all ready out there. Good luck.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s up everybody! Brian here from Hi5ber Boards. In case you havenā€™t heard, I make some of the sickest fully carbon fiber longboards/skateboards available on the market. I started making boards back in 2011, and have made considerable progress with my manufacturing and the business since then. Iā€™ve designed upwards of 25+ models, pushing out 6-10 or so new shapes each year. I have a strong passion for 3D modeling and bringing my CAD designs to life. I repeatedly get emails from customers looking to convert their Hi5ber board into an electric one, as well as looking for any recommendations of which of my existing boards would be best. I joined this forum to get some input from the electric skateboard community on developing a DIY friendly ā€œshellā€ of a board, designed specifically for electric skateboard builders. I think we, as a collaborative effort, can make the ultimate carbon fiber electric board!

6 Likes

Awesome!

Welcome aboard!

You really need to post this in General Discussion or Esk8 Innovations - itā€™ll get buried here.

Canā€™t wait to see how this takes shape!