[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

And how do I calculate the amps I expect to draw? I was looking into making my own battery by buying 18 18650 batteries (rated at 3,6V, 30A max output, 2100mAh) on a 6s3p configuration for a total of 21,6V, 90A, 6300mAh. Do you think that will suffice? (hope my calculations are correct)

Hi All,

Im just starting my first eskate build. Its going to be a cruising board with super torque. Im a big guy from a small town and want a reliable board to commute around town and over English countryside hills. Not looking to break and land speed records here, its just got to haul my fat ass about.

My plan is to start with a 6374 and the highest gear reduction i can fit. Buy wide trucks, batteries and other components ready for a dual motor setup. Trial and error till i find a gear ratio that can handle taking me up hills with ease. Then double down on motors and switch to dual rear 6374, allowing me to half the ratio and gain some more top speed.

I already have the first motor + VESC and im waiting for trucks, mounts and an assortment of pulleys to arrive. Just need to find the stiffest deck known to man which can handle some serious abuse. Aiming for an end result similar to an Evolve GT but with enough torque to win tractor pulling contests.

2 Likes

In my experience more range might be better than more power, which u might not use.

I would suggest sticking with 45 - 60A, and get 2.5-3ah cellsā€¦

Might add a couple more kilometers / miles

There are a few topics but with longboard u might not see more than 400w constant and about 1000w burst. I would say get your first board running.then u will see what u need more.

In my case that was range, as 8ah pack at 6s was not enough (having a, mountainboard)

Though 123 wh / 12km or more might be enough for u but i personally think 15km / 10 miles should be minimum, so.it is possible too go both ways and.not.charge as often

Hello guys (and girls!) Iā€™m Nicolas from France (hence the nickname!) 38 years old cook, living in Paris. Iā€™ve been rollerskating at a more than average level and skateboarding for pleasure since Iā€™m 10 old. After monthes of research on internet, trying to improve my knowledge on the topic, and a lot of reading here, I eventually feel like Iā€™m ready to craft my first DIY esk8 and Iā€™m about to order the requested parts. It will be a 4WD switchable to 2WD pintail on 70 mm hubs. ( to preserve the range of the battery) Here are the parts that retained my attention:

• Maytech 70 mm hubs 450 W kv100 22 A max( they are advertized at kv 60 but Eileen from Maytech told me that they are currently rated kv 100)
  • 2 Maytech dual ESCs, each ESC rated at 30 A (so 4 times 30A) ( using VESCs would definitely kill my budget.
  • Home made 10S4P flat li-ion pack, probably not soldered but using the Vruzend system for the 4 cells in parallel packs, then the P packs linked together in serie with wires (copper?) in order to preserve the flex of the board and integrity of the cells. (Will buy them from NKON)
  • About the BMS, my choice isnā€™t done yet but i was thinking about a 60 A max discharge current, ( thinking that a 4WD configuration will barely ask to the hubs to rise above 15 A each (that will also keep the batteries under 15 A discharge current, so HG2/R25/VTC6 will all handle it and stay cool, as the 10S4P isnā€™t huge for this config, And will also prevent these small hubs from over-heatingā€¦ (BMS from Bestech or Supower)
  • About linking the dual ESCs to a single remote, the best option seems to use a Y cable from a single receiver (According to Eileen) -About linking the Battery to the dual ESCs, Y cable as well, and same for a single ON/OFF switch running it allā€¦ -About the deck, i really consider building an ā€œall built inā€ wooden deck from an existing blankor from scratches. Iā€™m currently trying to figure it out and engineering it, but iā€™m quite confident as iā€™ve been doing a lot of woodcrafting by the past and mostly have all needed tools. I want no plastic case on this board it will all be wooden. But I 'm conscious that making it flexible, resistant and esthetically pleasant is a real challengeā€¦ Now here is my main concern about this project: I really want to get close to a 15 miles range with 4 hubs (450W/ 22 A max each) and a 10S4P pack ( VTC6 could help), and this is why iā€™m trying to find solutions to easily switch the board from 2WD to 4WDā€¦ As far as I understood the few topics on this, it requires a 3 channel remote https://hobbyking.com/fr_fr/hobbykingr-tmhk-gt2b-3ch-2-4ghz-transmitter-and-receiver-w-rechargable-li-ion-battery-1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1dmamrSb1wIVEomyCh2UuALnEAAYASAAEgJkwvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.dsand a ON/OFF radio controlled switch set on the wire linking the emitter and the front dual ESCā€¦ But iā€™m not sure of itā€¦ Plusā€¦ This remote from Hobbyking is simply ridiculous. Could anyone help me on this side, telling me if this: http://www.maytech.cn/en/maytech-mtskr1712-e-skateboarding-mini-wireless-remote/11032.html can make it as it is said to have 80 channels ? (I donā€™t think itā€™s the same ā€œChannelsā€ they talk aboutā€¦ My ideal would be to a set a captor that would automatically check the RPM from the rear engines and would turn the front engines ON below a given RPM but keeping the front dual ESC iddle when 4WD wouldnā€™t be used. So The 4WD would work only for torque at start, climbing, and perhaps braking?.. Please guys feel free to give me any advice about my wishing listā€¦ I know that many of you will tell me that buying chinese parts is risky as they are said to be a bit crapy but it seems that Maytech has a fair reputation for mid range supplies right?.. My alternative would be the cheaper Meepo parts ( But Iā€™d like to stick to the 70mm hubs for esthetic and weight reasons) I simply donā€™t have enough skills and tools to customize engines, and my budget is limitedā€¦ Any help with the engineering will greatly be appreciated! I have woodcrafting skills but my electronic skills are close to zeroā€¦ Cheers guys! have fun!

@Froggy U got a nice list / clean structure. Would recommend creatint a seperate topic about this.

Maybe @Ackmaniac have ideas how to turn on / off the motors in clever wayā€¦

Thanks for your encouragements Okami! Yes Iā€™ve noticed that @Ackmaniac seems to be one of the guys to go to for electronic solutions hereā€¦ Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a decent way to get this done propely, not expending the costs too muchā€¦ Iā€™m still drawing 3D plans for the deck and will let u guys give me your comments and potential concerns in a proper topic. I found a blank deck that would probably be a good base to serve both as a molder and skeletton for the board. http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Ridge-Skateboards-Naturel-Mini-Longboard-Deck-Skate-en-Bois-skateboard/381934532244?hash=item58ed127694:m:myFX9Q1503eXyxIF8pfXLGQ . I will reduce its tail to keep only the first two drilled holes for the truck and drill two other ones closer to the center, to keep the board under 100 cm (approx. 38ā€™) and with a little bit of this: https://www.roarockit.eu/shop/fr/placage/130-7-plis-placage-cruiser-Ć©rable-canadien.html, it should be possible to add extra height to the board at the bottom in order to hide all the electronics (iā€™m working on the inner structure) if any one knows a better place to find cheaper but still functional blank decks or veneers in EU please let me know! Cheers!

1 Like

My name is Brian Iā€™m from Jersey but born and raise in Delaware. I create custom skateboards you can find me on instagram here Boney Boards Instagram. Been on here a few months starting to think about the parts I am going to put on my first build. I have decided I will use the FoxBox even though it seems like the best deals have been had after enertion canned there bulk discount. Racerstar 50mm motor 200kv with some kegels, custom motor mount that a member here is doing with idlers. Trying to decide on LiPo or Li-ion for the battery Iā€™m thinking 10s3p but I have found all the premade packs of Li-ions I have seen online are just far out of my price range.

Hello! I have one question before i decide the layout of my build. What are the pros/cons of have a dual motor setup powering the front right wheel and and the back left v.s. a dual motor setup powering both back wheels?

Hi guys First project here, your thoughts will be very welcomed:

• Caliber Trucks
  • Torqueboards Mount and Motor: 6355 260Kv
  • 16T x 36T
  • Zippy Batt 5000 20C 4S (02) (or 5000 4C 3S much better?)
  • FlyWheels 93mm
  • Still havenā€™t define VESC (any recomendations)

To get 45 Km/H and descent hill ascension

Is it 20C to low for battery? what about nanotech batteries? Whats your experience with torqueboard?

Any comments will be very appreciated guys!

1 Like

Havenā€™t used the mount for the batteries Iā€™ve heard some not great things about the zippy compact and had not great experience with the multistar (but others claim they are fine). I currently run Turnigy 10S 5Ah 20C (2 x 5S 5Ah in series) and has been fine for over a year, typically I draw about 10-20A at most (6374 149kv turnigy sk3, 120lb rider mostly flat).

Have heard the nano-tech are slightly better from quadcopter people but in the context of eskate I donā€™t think you typically draw that many amps and are usually running at much higher voltage so can deliver more watts with less amps. Have been happy buying most my components from a supplier of torqueboards stuff but have the older vesc, mount, and kit from them.

Thank u wafflejock. How is your experience with turnigy motor?

No prob. The motor has been good for me and is well over powered given Iā€™m a small rider and land around me is pretty much flat, but no issues with overheating or anything and is a big honking motor. Regarding motors and voltage make sure you search around about erpm limit on the VESC since over 60k erpm or 8571 motor rpm can blow the DRV chip on the VESC (assuming 14 pole or 7 pole pair motor). Basically if you know your voltage can divide 8571 by the max charged voltage to get the max kv that would be ā€œsafeā€

http://calc.esk8.it

^^ is good to get an idea of speed as well

1 Like

New to the form! I had a buddy helping me with my Esk8 but sadly moved away, but now Iā€™m trying to sell my old parts to buy a raptor 2! Bye bye belt drive and hello ā€œhubā€? Drive!

What parts are you selling?

Pretty much everything needed for a Esk8 besides the battery. So the Vesc Motor Belts ect. ill post it up later.

1 Like

Did you ever have an opportunity to ride on the belts? Theyā€™re a very pleasant ride!

1 Like

I did! I also got to try my buddies Raptor 2 and just fell in love with the little maintenance! i find having to change belts because the roads around here have to many loose gravel.

Ahhh yes gravel can be a pain. Well cool. Never tried the raptor, but it looks like it rips serious ass! Hope youā€™re able to raise the cash needed. GL!

Hello all!

My nameā€™s Mike and Iā€™m just now mentally committing to build my first board, so Iā€™m putting that intention out to the world here =p

Iā€™ve built and raced fpv drones for a couple years and was impressed by how many of the skills, especially with regard to building, will cross right over from that hobby to this one. That pushed me to jump in and get my feet wet much more readily than if Iā€™d had to start fresh learning electronics, like I did when I got into drone building.

Iā€™m currently in the ā€œlots of reading phaseā€ of getting into a hobby. So, my plan:

I havenā€™t begun choosing parts yet (and welcome any input) but I have a pretty rough idea:

I have a mixed mode commute where I walk, get on a train, walk, get on a subway, walk, get on a bus, and finally walk some more. Because Iā€™ll have to board trains, lightness in materials is going to be a focus for me, and may put me at a bit of a price premium, but thatā€™s ok. Iā€™ll have to carry the board, potentially for long periods if there are train delays (happens often enough to plan for). My work then has me regularly moving around Cambridge, MA-USA, which I usually accomplish by walking and bus. You may see why this mode of transportation appeals to me.

So definitely a limit on board length and deck materials, which Iā€™ll figure out.

For a drive train I lean toward hub motors, though Iā€™m not particularly sure why. I think from an engineering standpoint putting the motor in the wheel appeals to me, though Iā€™m aware of the infancy of the tech and the variety of opinions on the topic. Whether itā€™s the right choice in reality, itā€™s the one that initially appeals to me most so Iā€™ll at least pursue it.

Seems like people are satisfied with 2 wheel rwd? Again I come from quadcopters so I came in thinking ā€œof course weā€™ll have 4 of everything!ā€ But that appears against the grain - it also contributes to weight I can potentially do without.

So Iā€™m looking at 2 rear hub motors with basically a very well thought out (thinking not yet done) battery pack - Iā€™ll need to find myself the right balance of size, weight, cycle length and speed. Iā€™ve yet to come to a decision on how often I plan on recharging, whether batteries will be swappable, etc. Any suggestions on any part of this plan more than welcome.

Do I sound like I have no clue? Imo I initially need a 30000ft view plan for things, then part picking will fall into place based on suitability for my criteria.

Let me know what you think and I look forward to being part of this community, you guys seem great and I look forward to sharing this hobby with you!

-revise

Hello, my name is OLnewB. Thatā€™s not my real name. I have been skateboarding, roller skating, and inline skating most of my life, since I was 7 years old.

I actually like kick pushing a skateboard for exercise. I sometimes push up moderate grades when I donā€™t feel like carrying it.

My current favorite setup is between a longboard and a skateboard. It gives me a wider stance than a shortboard, and a kick for crack ollies. I ride a HoodWood WildCat 35" x 9" deck with a 17 inch wheelbase between bolts, 21 inches between axles http://www.hoodwoodskates.com/wildcat-13.html, Bear Grizzly 10 inch trucks http://beartrucks.com/?products=grizzly-gen-5 with Venom bushings, http://venomskate.com/barrels/ and Seismic Landslide 75mm 79A wheels https://seismicskate.com/product/75mm_landslide_wheels/. This setup rides like a dream. My son calls it a hoverboard. It spits out rocks instead of stopping on them.

So I want to build an electric skateboard. I will use a 36 inch dual kick deck with nice soft wheels. I will build a single drive and probably expand it to dual drive. I enjoy moderate speed. I enjoy the stoke without the dread. I have crashed too many times. I use my hands, arms, and legs to feed my family, so moderation.

I bought an OM5065 200kv motor from Ollin Skateboards @chaka http://www.ollinboardcompany.com/product/om5065-200kv, a motor mount from @marcmt88, a very cheap 18650 10s2p battery as discussed by @scepterr https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LG-36V-4-4AH-BATTERY-PACK-18650-EBIKE-VAPE-POWERWALL-BATTERIES-20-CELLS-BMS/172630688902?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649, Caliber 2 44 degree trucks https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NY42714/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and a full face helmet! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5QK5TQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need pulleys and belts, a vesc, charger, controller, enclosure, deck, wheels.

I really appreciate all the help from members of this forum.

2 Likes