[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

@Johann_a make a thread :smiley:

Heā€™s only read for 20 minutes, he cant

Hello all, coming from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Been lurking around for awhile now trouble shooting and checking out others setups and accessories to adapt to my own build; -Bamboo green giant longboard -caliber trucks -76mm downhill wheels (nice and wide but is more wheel for motor to turn). -VESC 50amp -spectrum 2CH (soon to be solidgeek remote, awesome job bro!). -eflite power90 320kv -pulse 6s 5000ma 45C -3D printed custom Motor Mount -3D printed gears, use mostly 1:1 (38tooth) -3D printed T5 10mm wide (TPE&TPU) -3D printed custom ā€œtop sideā€ enclosure (board was far to low to go underneath also wanted more protection from debris and puddles while getting more airflow). -3D printed accessories *7in shark fin mounted in back *Ed Roth ā€œrat finkā€ 5in tall mounted in front (still looking for a ā€œsuper finkā€). TOP SPEED (so far)= 28mph (used iphone gps app).

Mostly itā€™s a Frankie-Stien non-standard build from parts eithor on hand or made, other than VESC which learned the hard way after blowing castle pheonix 100amp sky high, blew 22gauge solder joint right off, oh yeah and flames which had to hop off board and blow out.

Will post build elsewhere in more detail with pics and vids.

So I will just need one motor then? Or should I double up?

you always need to remember not to pass the 60,000 to not frie you vescā€¦ but i do not know if you use 2 motor with 2 vesc (one as a master and the other as the slave) itĀ“s not going to affect that?.. i am going to make my build with a 192kv with a 10s1p lipo (5Ah)ā€¦ theoretically itĀ“s going to give me like 24 mph and a range of 18kms.

so yeah i think you are goint to be right with this setupā€¦ i will do this and after some time upgrade to two motorsā€¦ but keep in mind that this motor is 74mm lenghtā€¦ so probably need to buy a mor big truckā€¦ or go with 6354 i think two of those can fit well in a 180mm truck for the pictures that i seen

You just reminded me that I used to draw on my skateboards with paint markers. Now I got the itch to do it on my eskate

2 Likes

NEW MEMBER ALERT**** UNUSUAL PURPOSE for ESK8

Hey all, Rey here, digging these pages - I am working on a transportation device for old people that needs to be speed limited at about 2-4MPH. I have a dual hub motor (kv90), 2x VESC (2.18) 6S 40C battery.

Can I set the VESC to slowly accelerate to 3mph and maintain that speed? (no hills!) Is this the best set up for that purposeā€¦(note** Iā€™m stuck with it now!!)

I want a wired throttle so I got a thumb version for scooter with LED display. Just waiting on parts. Pretty excitied, appreciate the help in advance given the steepness of my learning curve!

best

Rey

2 Likes

ever buy that 6384 200kv motor?

Hello everyone, my name is Miles. I am from the great state of south dakota and I am one of the few people in the world with one of the Cindrich longboards. I intend to do a dual motor with graphene batteries and the new motormounts that boarddynamics are making. still no idea how Iā€™ll hide everything since its see through but thats the fun right?

2 Likes

Hello Peeps, I found this great site after buying all must stuffā€¦darnit. Looking to make my first DIY board.

I got:

TURNIGY AERODRIVE SK3 - 6374-192KV BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER MOTOR YEP ESC 150A (2~6S) SBEC BRUSHLESS SPEED CONTROLLER ZIPPY COMPACT 4500MAH 6S 35C LIPO PACK

From what I have been reading I think the YEP ESC will not work for ebarods, it may not even be detected by the receiver. Iā€™ll try and let you know, otherwise Iā€™ll get the VESC, maybe from HobbyKing?

My motor has a circlip. We never take this off right?

This is gonna be fuN!

1 Like

Hey ladies and gents.

bought a $35 longboard off ebay in spring and hooked. stumbled upon electric ones and all i want to do now is build one.

have a 40in pintail with 83mm wheels but although decent for $35 i want everything new to my taste and style

going to build over the winter. Cheap is expensive and expensive is cheap so taking my time with the goods.

Mostly for a comfy smooth ride. Not going entirely for speed.

39-42in Bamboo Drop-Through Deck. Micro Drop possible depending on wheels and clearance. Dont wanna be too high if i can help it while being safe with batts/vesc/motor Probably Paris V2 with rake for divey turns. 44~ rear. 50~front. Love my 83ā€™s but will probly go with 90 or 97 wheels. For smoothness and safety over debris. SK3 6474 Motor or 6364. Or possible Ollin 6380. Hearing great things either way. Probably sticking aroud 160-200Kv

10s or 12s. Prefer high voltage to lower amps for efficiency and battery cycle life Researched batteries alot. Panasonic/Sanyo 20700B 4250mah have low voltage sag. 4000 actual mah at 10-15a continous from reading Moochā€™s battery testing. Google him for battery researching.

Either 10s3p,12s2p or 12s3p all depends on how the board looks and fits with the configuring.

Looks like the FOCBOX is great choice. Durable. Want to run FOC for noise.

A compatible motor mount for Paris trucks. 16t wheel pulley and 15mm wide belt for sure. Motor pulley no preference. Want decent torque for hills. In buffalo, flat for NY state but some inclines here and there. But would like 25mph actual flatland top-speed and im 180lbs

Edit:

Also going to build another for the lady. Good idea if you have an active girl, if you travel anywhere you can sight see cruising the coast,parks, or anywhere see fit. make adventures. Also a good spare for a friend. Probably a very similar build.

Ill be around though. Just saying hey

3 Likes

Hello, my name is Drew and Iā€™m fairly new to the electric longboard scene but Iā€™ve been racing rc trucks for years now. My goal is to create a board that is flexible, can hit 30mph with me on it, and travel a minimum of 20 miles

1 Like

That sounds like one pricey build haha

Hey welcome! I see youā€™ve been a lurker and havent created an account until yesterday, congrats!

I think the esc will work, but the zippy compact doesnt have such a good rep, and also check for clearance for the batteries as you have a single pack and that would probably be a bit too high. And if you ever decide to get a vesc, get one from tb chaka enertion or some other people, the vesc from hobbyking is out of stock right now and nobody knows when itā€™s going to be back in stock or how it performs, and never ever take off the c clip from the motor.

Anyways, you should create a post and show some pictures! Everyone would love to see your setup.

I plan on using the dual motor setup from diyelectricskateboard with a 12s3p battery pack. Just not really sure what deck I want to mount it all to :thinking::thinking:

Hi, I wish to build an E-board but I am very mechanically challenged. Struggling with understanding batteries and how everything works together. Is there anyone who does consulting on builds?

@akaJarviss well there is the chat window but I think it will be hard to answer everything thereā€¦ your best bet would be to go through many topicsā€¦ especially useful should be the [Guides]

In shortā€¦ There is usually a choice between Lipo or Li-ion battery. Li-ion batteries (ready made or home built) might usually cost quite a bit more compared to liposā€¦ but then again lipos has its drawbacks in other areasā€¦ mainly due to increased cell balance drift (I would say, - not as stable, easier to mess up by not checking voltages compared to li-ions)ā€¦ but then again lipos are way more power dense - you dont need as big pack to get enough / decent power out of itā€¦ where when going with 18650, you might need more ā€˜elementsā€™ / cells to reach the desired power output levelā€¦

Wellā€¦ to be honest I understood there is quite a bit of talk about it lolā€¦

Maybe u should also just go on youtube and search lipo vs li-ion and similar topicsā€¦

How to charge batteries and the different types of connectors is another topic into which im not gonna go into hereā€¦

What you should know from the start is thatā€¦ the battery you gonna choose depends on what sort of controller are you planning to use (not all controllers support all ā€˜battery typesā€™, or more precisely - voltages)ā€¦ 6s is usually the lowest people goā€¦ while more ā€˜premium buildsā€™ (if you can say so)ā€¦ go with 10s or 12s to achieve more speed/less heat / more power or for the simple fact that most commonly used VESC 4 (sort of best controller you can get for esk8, not to mention its next iteration - vesc 6) dont do well with high speed motors at high voltage.

This does not impact vesc 6 as muchā€¦ but I still thought to mention it since people probably gonna be using vesc 4 for quite a whileā€¦

As about how ā€˜bigā€™ battery you need (in terms of capacity - useful energy it stores)ā€¦ there is a special calculator for that which can estimate your rangeā€¦ thus you can adjust the numbers to reach the desired range (though I would advise to always include 20% reserve, as it is best not to deplete battery fully and which can be quite harmful especially for lipo batteries)

Tool is here, but u might need to read a bit more to understand all the tech talkā€¦

http://calc.esk8.today/

A few more info piecies might be also found on his site:

http://esk8.today/glossary/

1 Like

One more topic which might be useful for you:

What i also forgot to mention - lipos might be harder to incorporate into your deck/boxā€¦ as they usually come in ā€˜brick shapeā€™ā€™ā€¦ I would just advise to start slowly and you will get the hang of it over timeā€¦ though it might require some time till you get fully into all of the concepts related to batteries but you can always go and choose some sort of ā€˜templateā€™ buildā€¦ so you dont have to think that much about everythingā€¦

I think some sort of standard could be at least 5ah (5000mah) pack, with 20-25c rate and 6sā€¦ everything higher will yield better resultsā€¦ u should check on your own what each of these things mean :wink:

That build is gonna be cool as hell! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

1 Like