[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hi, I´m a 22 yo from germany and am going to study mechanical engineering this fall.

I want to build an electric penny board for commuting and also for when I´m travelling. I love to go on short trips in europe and since I´m a student I do a lot of hitchhiking and generally try to avoid paying for transportation (or anything really lol). This is why I often have to walk kilometres with my sometimes heavy ass backpack.

Since my build is purely inspired by practicality, top speed is kind of a non-issue for me. 20kph would be enough for me. Instead I will go for maximum range/price ratio.

As for the components, the turnigy set that was released on hk a couple weeks ago looks interesting to me, so if its a sensible setups for my needs regarding range/vmax I think I will go for it (have to read the drivetrain guide properly yet)

For the deck I will use the pink pennyboard of my little sister and strengthen it with some sturdy material so it doesnt flex.

You might want to try a nickel board. Just a little bigger, but more stable.

Hey all, I’m a recent transplant to Atlanta, GA and decided on an Eboard to help make the commute more enjoyable. While researching various commercial boards, I stumbled into this forum and have been reading about DIY builds. It’s about time I signed up as my components for the build are showing up. The first is from @Kaly (thanks for the great work on the battery pack and enclosure!) Today my VESC-X showed up from Enersion, and now I’m waiting for my complete deck, motors, etc… from @trampa they should be here soon as the tracking # shows them having arrived in NY yesterday… countdown to build time!

I grew up skateboard and snowboarding, so we’ll see how much muscle memory is left!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that you will fall in love with the board straight away.

Frank

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum recently and I’ve been loving the time I spent reading through posts. I’ve been using the search function pretty frequently but I feel like there’s still a lot of questions I can’t find answers to.

I found this thread by @onloop which was super helpful, but I still have some miscellaneous questions that I’d like to ask.

I posted in general discussions and I hope some of you guys can help me with this.

Thank you!!!

Hi All,

almost two months ago I subscribed to this forum. It’s really great and you learn a lot about building your own esk8. I live in the Netherlands and as far as I know they are illegal here. But who cares right? I ordered all the parts to build one myself and only need to make a motor mount and start assembly. It’s my first build so i hope i don’t f**k up :wink:

Martijn

1 Like

UPGRADING TO 6" OR 7" OFF ROAD TIRES? AND WHERE TO GET THEM AT A REASONABLE PRICE? Hi a few months ago i got the ELX form ELX.com an im quit happy with it… i have upgraded to a VESC so now the ride is a lot better… only upgrade i’m thinking about is 6" or 7" offroad tires… but i’m having a hard time figuring out if i can make them fit, and get the gearing right… Will i need wider trucks (and then new motor mount etc) i’m guessing that 6" probably will work? im not planing to go full on downhill… just over a bit rougher road, some grass and maybe a forest track… any suggestions? recommendations?

Hey My name is Holger and i am from Denmark Just discovered esk8/Electric skateboarding Making vlog about my journey to make a Electric skateboard for myself It would help if some people wut go check it out? I do this because i am dyslexic and then it is easy to see videos. so do it to help other people

Link:

1 Like

Hi, joined a little while ago, I’m in Ireland near where Luke Skywalker was found on that strange little Island.

While I planned and still plan to make a Trampa-based ATB, pulleys, belts and mounts compliments of @Idea, dual APS 6374 170kv sensored motors with a 12s7p 30q pack in a customised Veruzend solderless pack & a pair of VESC-X’s from @yummyblobs . I need some Trampa superstars or to figure out a 3d print design for the scrub wheels that came with the board I picked up as the hole spacing is different (My 3d printer is in storage right now).

I also need to drill the truck spring adjuster holes as this is an older board. Would love to get a template @trampa ?

I think I pretty much have what I need to complete apart from space as I’m moving house again in late August and in a holiday house for summer with no makerspace.

I have added more parts to the repository, a MBS ATB with 100m MBS UT wheels, pulleys compliments of @johnny_261, a pair of VESCs from Vanda, running a pair of APS 6355 190kv & motor mounts from @Shogu12 to run a 12s4p pack of Samsung 25R. Will switch to blackout caliber II fiftys.

Both the above will be BMS’d by the GB ran by @fedestanco when ready (designed by @JTAG)

In negs with @TranxFu to repurpose a loaded deck which I plan to mount some calibers(picked a few sets in sickboards sale) on and 90mm UT wheels from @atenner, I will try a hobbyking motor mount to see if I can break it as in store for this is a big-ass 6384 motor from APS with kv200, I will run it in single motor config with a FOCBOX from @monkey32 & will run a 10s4p pack of HE4 (they were cheap and very close in spec to HE2).

Lastly I should also have some kegels to play about with for what I’m not sure, I have some art boards I could try

A custom Escudero ‘Venom’ board

Cheers AJ

and a reissue Chris Miller Schmitt Stix

All fun and games esk8

Cheers AJ

4 Likes

Best 5000mah prebuilt battery pack under $50?

We are meeting thos coming Sunday. Check out the socal performance day thread for more details.

New guy here, new to the forums and to building electric vehicles… I am familiar with electronics and gas engines. I figured I would give electric a try. I have a 1500$ budget and was thinking of doing a dual rear motor Setup running 2 80cc turnigy rotomax motors on a mountain board (I know they are big but figured with my weight and positioning the pack(s) towards the front it should off set the weight. I will most definitely be needing some guidance and help, recommendations are always appreciated and welcomed I will make a build log when i figure out how. Hopefully with y’alls help I can make a board that can tackle the hilly terrain as well as give me the speed I want.

2 Likes

Hi @banjaxxed! I know a little about esk8 (I’ve built one successfully that I use daily) - but I’m a Star Wars expert. Did you mean the island where Luke Skywalker was found at the end of The Force Awakens??!

Ah yeah, actually Luke Skywalker, right! I’m not really all that close, same county, it’s a reference that is international, Cheers!

1 Like

go big dude… you put 80cc out there, do it…

@Cobber believe me… ima try, or blow my board up trying… heres the 1:1 scale drawings i just finished compared to the size specs i printed at the library earlier today… ima use this to design the mounts (as opposed to most the outrunnes y’all use, this one mounts at the bottom) I am going to have to machine the mounts in house since i cant seem to find anything online to hold these haha… next problem… I have never made a battery pack so i may commission someone here to do that or look up how to do it and tackle tht.

for now tho, here’s my drawing and I’m about to start working on the mounts.

Hi guys and girls. I am new to this. And have been watching a load and yes I mean a load of videos on electric long boards. And have got my self a board and some plate , and some pulleys that I made to fit my wheels. But having trouble, with what motor vesc and battery’s to use. Did want to buy kits to build it but enetion have stopped selling out board set up :rage: So have started to make bit up my self. , please. Any help with be Appreciated

Hello, bsb stands for Boosted Surf Board, a project i started last winter. I built an outrunner motor which works under water and is directly connected to the prop. It can take 60-80Amps and 45V. I use 32Ah 12S and used a YEP120A HV, which unfortenately burned up because the cooling was broken. I purchased a VESC-X or focbox like it is called now and hope i can benefit from its possibilities and advantages. I want to build up a new water cooling and i would like to test it for its effectiveness. I saw this nice video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6lPdI9OVQg Ben is using some special mode or parameter set to sink a lot of current in a motor which is under water and turning very slowly. I would like to do it as well. How is it done? Is there a thread dealing with such questions? Thank you

Hi, I am Vilius and I have made a DIY e-skateboard for fun and I love riding it.

Hi, I’m Darik how do i post on this thing I’m new here