[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hey guys, my name is Kar and I have a few questions. I was given a yuneec board and battery, it’s black and orange. Where can I get a charger and motor for the board? Can I use a motor from another board?

Hello guys and gals :smiley:

Me myself is PHD in cyber-psychology so I am a potato when it comes to engineering :smiley: But I want an electric board , but I am still a potato :smiley: So Geared with Wikipedia articles and YouTube video-guides I build first board and burned the controller completely (I am happy battery did not blew on my face) :D. I want to build one not cos it is cheap but for DIY spirit itself, just so u know. Right now I am hoping to get my hands on one of these: DIY Kit from Alibaba Seller said it is dual motor 90" wheels 250W each motor. So I am just wondering if those motors would be sufficient enough to commute in the city at decent speed? I dont have really any experience and decided to turn to people that have :D:D:D

Hi eSk8 builders community, I ride my Long-board to work each day down the esplanade. I’ve just started buying some parts to complete a build. I’m pretty rural and the road quality around me isn’t so good and I’ve got groomed trails in national parks north and south of me only a km or 2 away. I also do a bit of photography and are hoping to be able to ride out to shoots with my pack as well as have some fun. I sold my motorbike when I moved to the island, the wildlife is just crazy, so I’m hoping I can get some thrills on a eMTB without killing myself :stuck_out_tongue: I can’t wait to get building, see you all on the boards.

Cobber Kangaroo Island

hey everyone!

I’ve been lurking on this forum for months trying to get a good understanding of this esk8 thing, and now I am finally trying to build one. I am originally from Brazil ant thanks to my work as a video-game artist I was able to live in Europe and experience a little of their culture. Now I work for Valve and live in the US in a city called Bellevue (close to Seattle). I always enjoyed manual work and during my graduation in architecture I used to pass a lot of time on the university workshop, it is terrific after those years to come back to something more manual and not related to computers. This forum is being a great source of knowledge, and I am thankful for that :slight_smile:

Thiago Vidotto

Hello guys! :relaxed: This is Alex , new crazy member from Spain. I’ve got all the parts to do my electric longboard. Only need two motors and a big 24v Battery to finish the plan. I hope to learn a lot with your posts. :wave:

Software developer from colombia. Doing my first build 10s 4p tesla batteries, dual vesc, dual 90mm maytech, no idea on the board

Hey, my name is Mark and i’d like to milk you guys for free answers.

Listen up gang, i got myself a plan here to build an electric skateboard, see? I’m very very new to this, but here is the parts list i have so far:

Board: 1x Loaded Vanguard Longboard Deck 2x Caliber 2 fifty 10 " truck 1x set of 4 Orangatang Kegel 80Mm wheels 1x set of 8 Bones China Reds Bearings

Motor & Electric stuff: 2x https://goo.gl/fEijgR 2x Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 6374 192kv | 2750W | 10~12S Lipoly Brushless Outrunner Motor 2x https://goo.gl/cBTXuM 2x Turnigy 50A | 3-12S LiPo | 12.6-60V VESC with BEC 2x Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000mAh 6S 60C Lipo Pack 1x HobbyKing HK-GT2B 3CH 2.4GHz Transmitter and Receiver w/Rechargable Li-ion Battery

Would this even work? Do i even need 2 VESC’s? If i built this with these components, how would i brake? And how would i recharge the batteries?

Also, the cost of all this ends up at over 1000€. In theory the board should be strong right? But is there any way of mantaining or even improving specs and reliability while reducing cost?

Answers to all these questions would be much apreciated

I also feel like i need answers to questions that i’m missing because i don’t understand much of any of this.

Thanks for all the help in advance

The VESC question is easy. The ratio of motors to required speed controllers is 1:1. So yes, two motors, two controllers.

You’ll need a battery charger. The IMAX B6AC V2 is popular (I have one as well).

Breaking will be controlled by the VESC and can be adjusted.

1 Like

Since you are getting the wheel mount and pulley from DIY I’d recommend getting the motor mount from them as well, you can get it in a kit. I’ve got one and it was shipped fast and has been rock solid. 2x - diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/single-bolt-on-motor-mount-with-drive-wheel-kit/

There is a dual motor mechanical kit, but that comes with trucks and wheels,which you already have plans for.

1 Like

Also be sure to check out your specs here to see if it leads to the performance you are expecting:

http://calc.esk8.it/#{“batt-type-lipo”:1,“batt-cells”:6,“motor-kv”:192,“system-efficiency”:80,“motor-pulley-teeth”:16,“wheel-pulley-teeth”:36,“wheel-size”:80}|

I’ll leave the rest up to the experts as I’ve only just completed my first build.

Lastly, I believe you will be asked to move this to the new builds thread so responses can be posted there instead of the new member forum.

1 Like

Thank you for all the information, it’s super helpful. That top speed calculator that results in about 23 km/h weighted, and that’s a bit low, what do you reccomend i do besides maybe getting bigger wheels? Should i get more kv’s motor and lose torque or get like 4x 6s to give 12s to each motor? What would you say is more worth it?

You have to be careful with 12s because you can exceed the tolerance of the VESC (ERPM limit?) at some point. Other members know more than me, I do not have a VESC. aside from wheel size The next best thing to do is gearing, but you are already at 16/36 which is pretty standard. 8s might get you there and is still well below tolerances.

My very basic understanding is if you are going to do more batteries in series, you typically need a motor with lower Kv, and the inverse is also true. Most builders on the forum go with 90 mm or 107 mm wheels. I have a moderately high kv motor (sk3/260kv) and with 90 mm wheels and 16/36 gearing that runs on 6s I can get to just about 43kmph unweighted (28mph) In practical terms that puts me at about 22 or 23 mph standing on the board. I haven’t quite pushed it wide open yet. It starts to get scary about 18 mph. Even at 260kv/6s I feel like I have plenty of torque. I also live in a pretty flat area however. If you post your stats in the New Builds thread you may get some more responses.

2 Likes

Alright, i will do that. Thank you for all the hlep and info so far! It’s much apreciated :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! I am still looking for the components for my esk8. I have a 300-400 euro budget and I’d like my skateboard to go 30-35 km/h max (I have only had few experiences with skateboards so far and I don’t want to kill myself). I am browsing a few websites and I have found this kit on hobbyking: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalog/product/view/id/63725/s/skateboard-conversion-kit

I couldn’t find anyone’s opinion on the kit, so I ask you: would you try it? Why and why not? Which components seem alright and which look like sh*t? The VESC is very cheap so it could help me save a few bucks

Hi everyone!

I’m not super technical so I wanted to buy a complete longboard and ended up getting an Inboard M1. I’ve only snowboarded before, so I’m still getting used to this wheeled boarding and feeling the ground and such. I heard the board was kind of badly regarded in this forum though XD Anyway, I’m in SF and down to ride whenever I have time.

Sup guys, have a good one! xD

Hey all! I’m Dan from CT! Building my first board using a blank Elher’s 40in Bottlenose. It has a little flex, so I’m planning a split enclosure. Unless anyone knows where I can snag one at a reasonable price. I have my caliber II 50° trucks, 83mm clones, VESC from DIY. Trying to build this using a Tacon Bigfoot 160 (245kv). I know I’ll have to limit the erpm, but if anyone knows another reason I shouldn’t use that motor, please let me know. When searching, I’ve seen some other folks using them. I’m also waiting on a motor mount group buy. Going to use Lipo to start. Was thinking 8s. Still have to figure out what remote to use & odds and ends.

My initial plan was buying a dual Liftboard for $600, and also a Louboard 1.0 for 550. But I returned the Liftboard after 3 days(motor mount failure), and now my current plan is getting the Louboard 3.0 for $1080.
I really liked the dual liftboard, and the company support has good reputation, but the board failing that soon has me wondering if electric skateboarding can be reliable or not.

Hi, I am designing a board with these: https://www.vexrobotics.com/217-4347.html fairly powerful and cheap motors, any ideas if they(2) will work? I am attempting to go ~25 km/h, and don’t really care about range at this point.

Any opinions?