[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Decided that driving to work was silly when I only live 2.5 miles away. So I decided to buy an electric skateboard. I bought a used electraskate board for cheeeeep without batteries. Now I’m trying to figure out how to power it. I spent at least 3 hours the other day reading about batteries and charges, and I’m still not sure what any of it means.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Ricky. Don’t yet own anything or have any solid build plans but am keen and interested. So I guess my journey starts here.

3 Likes

Hello , My name is Alejandro and I live i Spain. I wanted to build my own electric skateboard and I discovered this fantastic web , so here I am.

4 Likes

Hello! I’m Taylor and I’m looking to fix up my broken e-board. I got the 1st gen magneto board around a year ago and it was great for the 6 months it worked. I was riding to class one day and the aluminum truck completely snapped while I was going full speed (no fun). Now it’s just been sitting for a long long time but since I found this community today I think I have some ideas of how to fix it. The trucks seemed proprietary at first but it looks like I can remove the motor and reattach it to a different mount and truck setup which would be sick. I miss cruising. But now I’m super super tempted to go the diy route and turn my 46in pintail cruiser into an e-board. Definitely have a lot more reading to do though before I get there

5 Likes

Hello Im Adam from Miami FL I have skateboared in middle school and high school now that im almost 30 im not that crazy anymore so i just longboard now, one of my favorite boards is my Landyachts Bamboo pintail it rolls forever with super reds bearing and Orangatang in heat wheels. Now i have 2 eboards on the way, i have a Blink s2 on the way mainly to mess around with and i can travel with it and i have a Raptor 2 coming next month if all goes according to schedule.

3 Likes

New member here. I live in Pasadena, CA, and recently got an Evolve Carbon GT 2 in 1. I’ve been riding skateboards most of my life, for around 45 years. I have been into longboards for the past 15 or so. I love building things… both electronic as well as mechanical, and I love woodworking, too. I think I’ll build a board before long. I’m in the lurking phase for a few more weeks or months to research what I want to build. Thanks for all the great build threads and posts in general!

I hope to meet up with some of y’all and ride some.

2 Likes

@wentwest , make it to the next Santa Clarita ride

When his the next one? I’ll make it if I can!

Hello, This is Victor, and I would like to build my own eSk8. Now, I am an electrical engineer with a daily basis job as an embedded sw programmer. The thing is I don’t have experience with motor controll, but I think it would be a good point to start, and a very nice project. Till now, I know the two major features that my board will have to support:

ESC that will have to be capable to perform brake energy recovery. Powerpack that has a BMS able to recharge from braking regeneration, discharge as expected and limit the capabilities based on tmperature.

Now I don’t want to integrate any of the already existing open source concepts (even though they might be almost perfect for this application), I just want to build mine, mainly for gaining experience, I am not in a hurry since I’ll buy a board to ride in parallel.

Any advice for the aspects to take into account would be helpful.

I also would be grateful if anyone could share a good source for the motors, and the rest of the parts(batteries, bearings, in hub built motor vs belt driven, etc)

Nice to meet you community!:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey, my name is Aaron, and I live in Canada (little north of Toronto). I’m a 4th year chemical engineering student, and I LOVE building things, taking them apart, and seeing how they work. I destroyed my first family computer when i was about 10 by doing so. I’ve since then gotten a much better grasp on how things work and have never stopped loving learning since. I’ve been on this forum just about a year (I built my board last summer), but never took the time to post here. I love all things esk8, from riding, to building, to troubleshooting, to watching videos for hours on end; I love this hobby and am glad there are so many like-minded people.

3 Likes

I bought brand name board a couple year ago that worked well as far as speed and running on the flats but I moved to where I have a couple hills.I like the existing board but the manufacturer has upgraded from a 750 watt technology that I bought, to a 3000 watt monster.They give me no options to upgrade and I don’t need that much power anyway ,but would like to move up a bit and not have to trash the board.I have put together some rc plans from hbby king and figure that I could do the same with this board.

Hi. I am new here, I really need some help with fixing my Backfire Chinese clone longboard. ESC and BMS burned down. I already bought Maytech VESC and new BMS from here - > http://www.batterysupports.com/22v-24v-6s-60a-6x-36v-lithium-ion-lipo-battery-bms-pcm-pcb-p-478.html. Can anyone tell me if i can connect this BMS directly to the battery 6pin connector to replace the old one without worries, or i need to adjust something in the connector wiring? I still can’t post new topics and I came to look for help.

I’m Adam. I have never built an eboard before and hope that I can do it! I have some prior electronics experience, but this whole world is really new to me! I suppose I’ll be “lurking” as I save up to build a board.

I want to build a electric mountain board but have no idea where to start I wanna make a list of everything I’ll need. So that I can find the cheapest of everything. I want it to be a single motor I’ll upgrade later on dome the road

Hey there, My name’s Lucas, and I’ve recently been captivated by the Boosted Boards, until I saw the price tag and contemplated life for a while, realising I’d never be realistically able to afford one. However, I decided to try and replicate one, or at least have a go at making my own electric longboard for commuting to and from uni, and probably around campus.

I have a rough idea and found a nice guide on instructables on how to assemble one, but any advice as to parts and stuff that I should choose would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. What is the difference between an ESC and a VESC?

A VESC is an ESC (electronic speed controller) designed specifically for Esk8. It has much better braking, has regenerative braking, and it very customizable. However, it can be pricy and if it breaks the repairs can be pricy as well. I recommend the VESC if you are going above 6s, if you aren’t, I would recommend the X-car Beast ESC for hobby king. It is pretty cheap and good for 6s.

1 Like

Hi everyone, just signed up here after seeing it mentioned in several videos on youtube. I’ve been interested in building a board for a couple of years now and watched many build videos and browsed some sites trying to get a budget in mind. hopefully I’ll be able to decide what style board works for me and begin ordering parts!

Hey everyone. Just bought a used Evolve Bamboo Gen 2. Love it. I have a longboard that I love but never ride: Bustin Strike. I want to convert it to electric. Looking for a dual hub motor kit for one of them. Anyone know of complete kit with dual hub motors that I can add to an existing longboard. Looking for 2 hub wheels, controls, battery, charger, and remote included. I have found kits like this but they all include the trucks, which I would prefer the trucks I already have.

Check out the video I made with my son showing both boards: Towing with an electric skateboard

-Mark

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m Vanarian ! You can call me Chris. Been on ES and the french community for years and I’ve just decided to meet you here too.

When I think “electronics” I kinda think like a mad scientist haha I got many projects to improve DIY building under work and want to bring them to you once ready to test (or fully tested) !

As a reward if you took time to find & read my short presentation in the whole topic, here is what I currently work on :

• improving VESC thermal management by leaps through hardware. No more fried VESCs. No more ABS_OVERCURRENT Fault, this will work with any version (VESC 4.xx, VESC6, VESC-X and of course Rogier Wolff “rew” version)
  • improving outrunners cooling when fully insulated. This allows waterproof/dustproof yet retain at least same perfs than standard. For hubs this is a must.
  • solderless omni layout li-ion battery pack assembly, no matter your S or P you can assemble easily however you want super duper easy. Vibrations and high discharge proof, shockproof when encased. Made for abuse. I’m already testing the v1 for myself.

My others current projects are more personal : finish building my 3.2kw electric inline skates and converting my wife’s longboard into a slim 3.2kw electric but reliable fun. More stuff coming in the future but I should finish all this first.

Look forward to know you guys !

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I am planning out my first build and this is what I have so far. I want my board to last for about 7-8 miles per charge, and I don’t live in an area with any hills. Any advice on what I could improve would be appreciated.

• Turnigy sk3 236kv Outrunner Motor
  • 2 5000mah 5s 20C batteries
  • TorqueBoards Vesc, up to 60V, 50A continuous current
  • 15T to 36T pulley system
  • diyelectricskateboards.com Motor Mount

I want to build this on a 36" board with 70mm wheels, will this work? Also, how fast and what range do you predict I will have?