[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

HI! Please let me know if i outta read something specific to fix any blaringly obvious ignorance i may have (or not have, depending on how you look at it :wink:)

SO. THE MASTER PLAN (or lack thereof, lol): Iā€™m thinking of doing a monster of a longboard (as a more eco-friendly daily driver in the summertime than a gas powered car) but also bcos it seems ridonkulously fun!.. think of a mountain board designed primarily for commute in a town that wasnā€™t well designed for commuting, due to: -rough sidewalks/pavement -long routes, unless your board can handle shortcuts over; gravel, grass, dirt, etc. -HORRIBLE public transit. Like, so bad that walking for half an hour (or more!) is usually faster.

That said, i tend to be rough on my rideables, so i think i might wanna over-build my board, so that it could be used as a mountain board, if i end up wanting to go that wayā€¦ also, itā€™s very rainy where i live, so it should be able to handle some mud!

Iā€™m a fan of doing things right the first time, & paying a bit more to get a better bang for your buck, or to support ethical business practices, (but iā€™m also not made of money, unfortunately). I would also prefer to not have to perpetually tune, clean, replace broken parts, and generally spend a ton of time/money on maintenance, replacement parts, etc, more so than is necessary.

I think (from my very limited knowledge) that i would like to go with a dual or quad hub motor design (for hills and traction) ā€¦if that is even possible w/ current tech for an all terrain wheel??? I havenā€™t found such a thing yet, and doubt I have the tools or knowledge necessary to fabricate such a thingā€¦ I would also like to look into non-pneumatic alternatives for the A.T. wheels, bcos of durability, and low maintenance (no flat tires ever again!)ā€¦ such as, perhaps, something like this https://motorbikewriter.com/airless-tyres-coming-to-motorcycles/ or this https://youtu.be/LN8VwD0V4RE

A little bit of context:

• I havenā€™t used a skateboard in forever, and wasnā€™t all that good the last time i tried to use one, but i think iā€™d love to give it another go, particularly if i donā€™t have to kick all the time!

• I have moderate mechanical skills; i can take almost anything apart, and put it back together again, or assemble ikea furniture no problem, but very limited practical (or theoretical) experience beyond that (so, minimal fabricating, if possible).

• I can solder, but donā€™t really know how to make a circuit diagram or how to code, without starting that as a whole 'nother project, prior to this one.

• Iā€™m 165lb / 75kg, 6ā€™2" / 188cm tall

• Also, no idea what kind of protective gear i should have, beyond a helmetā€¦

Soā€¦ where should i start ?!? :sweat_smile: (sorry for the monster post, thx for reading to the end :heart_eyes:)

1 Like

here are 2 links to my builds

2 Likes

@Papo Are u planning on releasing (making) a build log for your board?

Would be cool to hear a bit more about the Battery setup you are using.

I assume that the cells you are using, are probably scavenged from laptop battery packsā€¦ right?

Soā€¦ what capacity do you get out of them and in what config do you have them?

I saw you mentioned quite a bit of range but im not sure about the count of the cellsā€¦ so how many individual cells you got for your pack?

Also - after plastic bottle heating for protection, did you cut holes into the plastic to make the needed solder / wire connections?

ā€“

So yeh, if you could shed some more details about your build, that would be nice :slight_smile:

Also looks like your board is not super longā€¦ not even sure what is the total deck lenght you got :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! Iā€™m a Norwegian engineering student who got a passion for making stuff. (This post got quite long)

I have been reading this forum since last summer when I built my first esk8. A week ago, I finally got around to join in as a member.

My journey so far has been somewhat unfortunate, solely because of my clumsiness. I bought most of the parts from , which btw helped me out a lot in picking parts, and I bought some batteries and a remote from HK. Before even getting my board to run I shorted the output wires on my VESC and it caused the well-known DRV fault. LP electronics fixed that quick and my board was working great the last two weeks before winter.

While Iā€™ve been waiting for summer I bought a 3D printer (Anet A8) and designed a mod case for the GT2-E. In the process of wiring everything I fried the Tx (?) by connecting it to a LiPo without the 3.7V to 6V step-up module in between.

I then order the Fr-Sky GT2-B. As I found the other mod cases hard to print and/or bulky I designed my own controller again. Everything was going well until I broke the throttle pot and, guess what, those pots are literally non-existent as spare parts.

And to top it off: two weeks ago, I found my LiPos still connected to the VESC after my remote testing before Christmasā€¦ They were zeroed out, Iā€™m just lucky they didnā€™t catch fire. I tried to get them going again by forcing the charger to charge them, which worked on 8 out of 10 cells. So I have removed the two cells and I am now running on 8s 5000mAh.

Finally, I managed to piece together the working parts of both my broken remotes and I am now the happy owner of a ā€œself-madeā€ remote. Although I have had some bad luck, I still love making stuff and riding my board. I am also considering making a new board with dual 140kv motors to have the power to climb Norwegian hills. I would also want pneumatic tires because Norwegian roads are shit. The motor I already have will then be used on my bicycle. I just need work for the summer to afford all this.

PS.: As I now have two working designs for two different controllers I am going to upload them to Thingiverse and make Instructables for both. But it will have to wait to June when my finals are over.

(If read through it all; thank you. Here are some pictures)

2 Likes

Hello all! My name is Rian, Iā€™m from Delaware in the United States. Iā€™m a kitesurfer and former land kiter, mostly kite buggy. I have a Trampa mountain board from my land kiting days that I almost never use, since riding spots are hard to find and itā€™s so much easier to get out on the water. Instead of letting my Trampa collect dust, Iā€™d like to convert it and have it usable for those no wind days. I will admit, Iā€™m generally a lurker and donā€™t often participate in forums, but I hope that when I do, I will be well received. I have been lurking the last few days, trying to soak up info and I plan to start a build thread, so I can gather input and pose any questions I need addressed. In the meantime, I wanted to introduce myself and try to make presence known. Thanks!

2 Likes

Ok, finally got my 24v, 1800 RPM Green Works drill. I got it for $32 on eBay, no charger or battery. Iā€™ve been needing a 10 amp, variable power supply for various uses. They are like $60 on eBay. I could for $20 though, get a 24v, 15 amp power supply. I was planning to test with one of these, before I go all out and buy a lipo and charger (the drill has its own ECS). Could the power supply double as a charger? Hmm, 1800 RPM, will I need to change the gear ratio?

Well letā€™s start with one thingā€¦ donā€™t use a drill. Use a brushless motor. And get a real ESC. And batteries. And a controller. Trust me - itā€™s the right way to go

Hi everyone Iā€™m Jake. Hey guys, sorry if this isnā€™t the place for this, Iā€™m a first time poster. Iā€™m new to this site, and am a terrible mechanic. However, Iā€™m desperate to get my Benchwheel working again. Yesterday I got caught riding in the rain. The power button would flash red before shutting off. I could also hear what sounded like popping and wheezing/hissing coming from somewhere underneath the rear trucks if I put my ear right up to it. Now it wonā€™t turn on at all, nor is it making that noise. Iā€™m desperate for a solution, should I start a new thread for this? Can anyone in NYC fix it for me?

Hey there. Achmed from germany here. just finished my first (and probably not last) electric skateboard build with pretty much only 3D printed parts (except for the board itself ^^). at least once i figure out how to actualy create a post in builds that is, but i guess i jsut dont have the rights yet!?

The drill is brushless, and will be connected to a chain to a small bicycle wheel. If I were to buy a 6S lipo and charger, I could always use it on another brushless motor, with an esc, if the drill donā€™t work. But, is a 24v motor speedy enough? Could I combine a 6s with a 3s battery, later down the road for a more powerful motor?

Hey, my name is Brastafari. Iā€™ve owned one that came with a bit of heartache and now Iā€™m ready to build the greatest fucking board on the planet. Something like a Bugatti but even better. I have very minimal technical skills and am here to learn! Located in Denver, Colorado in case anyone wants to meet up for a ride or to teach me build techniques.

1 Like

Hello, Iā€™m Luu. I have no experience with anything skateboard related but Iā€™m going to build a portable, easy to ride eboard here in Brighton, MA (Boston). Iā€™m thinking a nickel board. Wish me luck!

Hello , Iā€™m Cyril. I have finished my first board (APS mount, single APS 6374, VESC ans 9S 8AH) and Iā€™m launching the 2nd : sort deck 29", dual VESC X, hub motor 90 mm, home made 10S3P

cyril

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Andy. After reading along in several forums and watching hours of youtube footage, I decided that it is time to build an esk8 myself. My plan is to either go for good hub motors or a single beefy outrunner (e.g. a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192kv) setup with 83mm wheels, together with one or two VESCs. Batteries will be home made li-ion.

Andy

2 Likes

Wuzzaaaaaapp! :smiley:

Iā€™m obviously new hereā€¦ I have a sh!t load of reading to do stillā€¦ Itā€™s all very overwhelming at the momentā€¦ where do I buy the motors from, where do I buy pulleys, how do i know how long the pulley, where do I buy wheels, parts from, etcā€¦

Ideally the goal is to build or see if someone on here can help me build an eboard with 5-6inch wheels, that has a top end around 45-50ā€¦ Ideally 50, but stick to the 40 range. (Build it more powerful so itā€™s strains less?) AND with a long range (40km?) Where I liveā€¦ I technically could use it to simply get to work each day. Iā€™ll be using less of the skateboard aspect of it, and more as a functional device.

If anyone wants to help, throw items in my direction, iā€™m all ears, all eyes :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello! I am planning on building my first esk8 longboard and would like to know if this is a good plan.

1 Like

Hi all,

36 been skating for over 25 years, mostly bomb around on older 80ā€™s decks Vision etc - I have a long board, been sitting in the shed for years and thought I would like to have a go at turning it into a E board. Would prefer Hub wheels and keep it neat and tidy underneath with casing.

I know a bit about Lipo batts have built a drone before, but not sure about what other battery options are out there? anything modular more plug & play?

anyways would love some tips on the best hub wheels and some other good parts I need

after the first build I would like to build one on this 80ā€™s styled deck

awesome forum you have here!!

2 Likes

Hi,

Iā€™m Lee, and Iā€™ve researching in the dark really regarding the constructing of an off road mountain board for a while now. I have a bus load of 18650 laptop batteries that i got from the IT department at work which Iā€™m charging, dis-charging (finding the capacity) and hoping to arrange them into a power pack of some kindā€¦ 5p - 10s most likely? but thatā€™s about as far as i have got. I do have a mountain board to stick everything to!

Iā€™m a make things from scratch kind of guy and no stranger to building things in my shed, Iā€™ve gone about as far as i can with FPV drones and after a new challenge!!!

On a budget same as everyone!!

Any help would be great!

Thanks guys

1 Like

Long time lurker. I love this site! Iā€™m not trying to spam.

Iā€™ve launched an eSkate lifestyle site and Iā€™ve linked eSk8.bulders in my main menu in a bid to reinforce this community rather than compete with it. I am a solid supporter of both Jason and this community. I think we get further in life through cooperation and promoting ideas, products, and communities we are passionate about.

This new site has interviews, commentary, advice, urban photography and music. Online now at eskate.news.

ride serious.

surfreQ : coastal western quadrant : earth

1 Like

Bought a Trampa, even after reading through the thread that shall not be named. Ordered Wednesday night last week, arrived Tuesday afternoon. Not bad considering it had to travel from the UK to Australia (Melbourne).

Assembly required a trip to the hardware store, one of the M5 Nyloc nuts used to bolt the trucks on was actually an M4 :unamused: . Still, the board looks amazing in person.

Iā€™m coming from a bike (bicycle) background. Have no problem with electric bikes, but theyā€™re just not for me, seems like cheating or whatever. No such hangups with skateboards, looking to mount some motors as soon as the wallet recovers and I get comfortable on this thing.

Itā€™s a good thing you all have going on here, certainly one of the more constructive and supportive forums Iā€™ve come across :+1: .

4 Likes