[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

thanks. it appeared.

Hi all,

I am Sid, a university student. I am rebuilding an old longboard. This is my first electric build. I have ordered most of the parts and I am repainting the deck using a laser cutter for the grip tape and some good olā€™ spray paint for the bottom. Current setup that I am thinking of going with is:

Deck: Old dustin board Battery: 6s 5000mah 20c (is 20c too low?) Motor: single motor setup - tacon Bigfoot 63mm 245kv Wheels: 83mm flywheels ESC: Diyelectricskateboard vesc Controller: GT2B (it seems a little too big, any suggestions for smaller ones?)

Iā€™ll make a video and post some pictures after itā€™s running.

Hello all! 55yo and retired. Have not been on a board in 41 years. Started out with a longboard 6 months ago. Now up to 3 boards and 1 electric board.

My current electric skateboard is a Blink Board. Many issues with it (parts falling off, etc), so Iā€™m looking to replace it. I actually ordered and then cancelled a Yuneec E-Go2. I love that it can go ā€œup toā€ 18m on a single charge. I would prefer to build my own but Iā€™m really concerned Iā€™m going to buy all the parts and screw it up.

I have an existing Sector 9 Wedge Complete that I want to convert to electric. Itā€™s the perfect size for me, 31.25x7.5. I plan to yank the trucks and wheels off and replace with 9" Calibers and 93mm wheels. I donā€™t care about speed. The fastest I care to go is 7-8mph. Iā€™m more interested in distance. I use my board strictly for transportation. I weight in at 200lbs. I plan to carry a backpack with at lest 2-4 additional batteries that can be swapped out. I live in the desert and it is all flat land riding on asphalt or concrete sidewalk.

Hereā€™s my parts list I am thinking of ordering:

Electronics: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192kv Brushless Outrunner Motor 2x ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 25C Lipo batteries HobbyKingĀ® ā„¢ X-Car Beast Series ESC 1:8 Scale 120A HobbyKingĀ® ā„¢ X-Car Beast series LCD Program Card HobbyKingĀ® ā„¢HK-GT2B 3CH 2.4GHz Transmitter and Receiver w/Rechargable Li-ion Battery HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector (10pcs/set)

Other:

• Single Bolt On Motor Mount w/Drive Wheel Kit 97 mm Green Longboard Wheels Caliber II Fifty Skateboard Truck - 9ā€/50deg

I would prefer a set of 9" Gullwing Sidewinder II Trucks, but not sure where I would get a motor mount that would fit and I donā€™t want to weld anything.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Hi guys!

Long time lurker and first time poster.

I currently have a DIYish e-board I bought from Carvon about a year ago when he first started selling completes. Its a small little cruiser that has a single carvon v2 hub motor, VESC, and a 12s1p battery pack with a123 26650 cells and abec11 97mm flywheels. I really love the setup and havenā€™t had any real issues till recently which is why I finally decided to sign up and hopefully enlist some advice from this awesome forum.

Been skating for nearly 20 years in Los Angeles and have wanted a powered skateboard since day one. Iā€™m trying to build a last mile commuter with a single engine on a reissued vintage skateboard. so far my parts list is:

• Motor: F3A SK3 Seriā€‹es 28 Pole Outrā€‹unner (606ā€‹1-240ā€‹kv 2700ā€‹W) waiting for it to come back in stock.

• VESC: VESCā€‹-X from Enertion

• Battery: SPACE CELL PRO4 from Enertion

• Remote: Torquā€‹eBoarā€‹ds 2.4gā€‹hz Nano Remoā€‹te Contā€‹rolleā€‹r

• Pully: Complā€‹ete Pullā€‹ey Kit Wheeā€‹l ā€‹& Motoā€‹r + 12mm Wide Belt from Enertion

• Motor Mount- Singlā€‹e Bolt On Motoā€‹r Mounā€‹t Set from DIY

Still shopping around for a motor and battery. This is just an first draft, should be a fun build.

Ok, so I want to build my first buildā€¦Well actually it will be of of an experimental, cheap assed inception. I just recently saw that 12 year old kid on YouTube make a 3 wheeled skateboard, by piecing together a childrenā€™s 12" bike wheel, to the chain, attached to a 1000-3000 RPM drill, on a piece of cut plywoodā€¦Oh and used bike breakers for throttle, and brake.

So the other day, while doing a trash out on a property, I came across some plywood, a childrenā€™s 12" wheeled bicycle, and a beaten up bike for the brake/throttle. I weigh 140lbs, and wish to achieve 20+ mph on the thick rigid board, and get some decent distance via interchanging out the batteries. There are a few drills to choose from. I was hoping to use a 20-24v lithium with an extra battery for under $100. For the throttle, I plan to take apart the drill trigger, and wire it up to cheap motor circuit that would run to my hand, and would also allow me to use the reverse function for a brake. Later on, I would attach my own high discharging battery Bank to the drill charger, doubling it. ā€¦Is that even possible? That said, I donā€™t know if a battery powered skill saw would be a better choiceā€¦ Or should I just spend the extra on the typical items? Eg: motor, esc, battery, and charger. I still need the trucks, and some basic rubber shocks for the rigid board. I figure the larger and wider the front trucks, the better for balancing. Hopefully, not too pricey. So there you have it: A unique board without breaking the bank. Just thought it would be funā€¦And rewarding. What does everyone here think of this? It seems so simple, but will it actually work?

Hey guys, new member and brand new to pretty much everything that goes along with electric longboards. I have all of the parts so far but Id love input to make sur eIm doing it safely.

-Homemade deck -2.4 Ghz reciever and remote -10s 42v 20A Li-ion BMS -single hub motor -diy electric skateboards vesc -home made battery and charger, 10s2p Im fairly confident in my wiring abilities but Ive never made a battery. If someone could draw up how I should wire a 10s2p battery along with how to connect it to the BMS and discharge, Id be eternally grateful.

Hey everyone. Long time lurker while researching. I live in Atlanta, and this is my first complete build, unless you count refurbing a used 2013 Metroboard with a new battery and deck. I also briefly owned a Koowheel and Blink hub that were returned. I ended up going with:

1. Arbor Highground Deck (stiff downhill deck with long wheelbase)
  2. DIY Torqueboards dual 75kv hubs
  3. DIY Torqueboards dual VESC
  4. Enertion Space Cell 3 10s3p battery
  5. Ebay Mini 2.4ghz controller Iā€™ve only had the chance to ride it twice, but Iā€™m very pleased with the results. I initially set it up with a single hub just to try it out while researching how to set up the dual (5 or so rides), and while it would have been fine for flat terrain, Atlanta certainly isnt flat. The dual setup is great and tackles all hills Iā€™ve thrown at it so far. The hubs get slightly warm to the touch through the wheels, so Iā€™m sure theyā€™re generating some heat. Dexter at DIY was really helpful with research, and I will certainly be going back to him for future builds. This is just a very early initial review, however I canā€™t wait to get back out there and ride tomorrow. Thank you for all the time and information on the forum. I look forward to contributing where I can, but as of now Iā€™m definitely a noob. Iā€™d also like to get together with some riders in Atlanta/Georgia, as Iā€™ve already seen a few out and about during my rides. Hereā€™s a pic.
3 Likes

Hey everyone, been lurking since two weeks and finally decided to create an account. Iā€™m in the process of building a single motor longboard with enclosure similar to the boosted board.

Hi iā€™m going to build an electric longboard with these parts: this vesc http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maytech-Benjamin-Vedder-Electronic-Speed-controller-VESC-for-electric-longboard-/302200711613?hash=item465c90e9bd:g:tRkAAOSwiDFYPFHa

this 6s to 10s motor https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-5055-280kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html

and two of these batteries https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-4s-8000mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html/?___store=en_us

can anyone tell me if this is a good setup or if i should change some parts? thanks

need help!!!

I own a old Stik Carve board and would like to convert it to a electric board. I donā€™t want to use a pulley system, I would rather use the newer tech and use the new hub motors.

Iā€™ve done some research and found no info on converting.

Is anyone familiar with this. Or have any info?

Thank you for your time, A

This sounds so hood, I just have to see it come together. Keep us updated on this rat-rad of a build.

Get a bigger deck, get another carvon motor (or two new hub motors) and upgrade your battery setup by adding onto that one or buying a 10/12s3p pre-built back. Boom! You have yourself a crazy fun build that can do it all. My dual hub setup with a 12s3p can go way faster than I even want to go most of the time and I have all the same components essentially only twice the motor and battery pack. I have had no issues, what issues are you having? Or is it just not enough anymore?

Looks like a decent setup to start with. I would consider upgrading that battery, but the ratings in general are pretty much bullshit. See many posts on here for more info on that. Just find a build that has held up over time that you like and use the same battery. I ended up going with a big li-ion pack but they can be spendy. I definitely think it was worth it though. On the controller go with the DIY Mini GTB controller. Simple and reliable. If you want to get fancy there are other ones out there with cruise control etcā€¦

This build is going to be awesome! Please keep me posted. First one Iā€™ve seen in a minute that really caught my eye. Love the deck, trucks and wheels!

Hi!

Iā€™m building a self balancing ā€œWheelBoardā€. It has only one wheel in the center, similar to OneWheel and ones alike that.

I just finished building a first version, it works great, now I want to improve it with FOC mode and that is what iā€™m having troubles with at the moment.

Here is the picture of my board:

Main board: Flip32 Rev5 ESC: VESC Hub motor with tire 36v 500W 11in 2x5s 4000mAh lipo from hobbyking

In action:

Build pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ALTTR

8 Likes

Been lurking for a bit with the end of school. Planning on building up a board over the summer. Iā€™d make enough over the summer to buy a boosted, but that wouldnā€™t be nearly as fun. Worried about the money sink and the potential for it to not work. Anyways hereā€™s my plan:

• Homemade plywood board
  • VESC (not sure best place to buy dees) ~100 VESC from diyelectricskateboard
  • Motor? Really not sure what is the way to go here. Halps plz. Thinking this is gonna cost ~100?
  • 10s4p 18650. Gonna start with the really idiotic harvesting laptop batteries, checking capacity and discharge rates, and assemble. Buying good batteries seeems like it would cost ~200 and not in the mood to spend that
  • Caliber Trucks + Bones Reds (People seem to like these. plus the rectangular shape should make CNCing the mount easy) ~40-50
  • Orangatang Kegel Wheels (easy for mounting, and people seem to love em) ~60
  • CNC aluminum mount
  • 3D print gears (ABS is no go right? Gotta get some better stuff? There are makerbots that I can use, just not sure what sort of filament to go with) Also how do I choose my teeth ratio? been having trouble understanding this
  • Remote? Not sure what to do here. THinking of doing a nunchuck type thing, but not sure how to go about this.
    Also gonna make a spotwelder from a MOT and hope that goes well. Found some pretty cool tuts.
    So this project is looking to cost 400-500 with parts alone, and a probable extra 100 or more on extraneous parts.
    Advice, comments, caution all welcome :slight_smile: Glad to have found the community and seen all the cool stuff here

My suggestionsā€¦look at the builds section for ideas.

Buy a deck, it will likely be more stable and more fun than anything you can build. Decent decks can be had for 50 bucks, search for a massive list.

If you donā€™t wanna spend the $$$ for li-ion cells check out lipos, a couple of 5s 8000mah packs makes for a pretty good battery pack.

Of you are going 10s, a 190kv 6355 motor is torquey, fastā€‹ and safe for your VESCā€¦they are also pretty easy to get and not very expensive. Since you are looking at DIY (@torqueboards) for your VESC, and I buy a lot of VESCs from him, look at his motors and mounts too. You can save some money on shipping.

Look at flywheel clones on eBay & Amazon, they are a lot cheaper and the larger sizes available make for a great ride.

Wheel pulley s made of ABS are great!.

Look at the mini-logo, I think @JLabs has some for $30.

Good luckšŸ¤™

Thanks I appreciate the suggestions.
I think Iā€™ll probably start out with some lipos. I still want to try out making a BMS system, so that I can just use a laptop style charger instead of a balancer. Not sure though if the BMS that I get would work for both lipo and liion. my guess is that lipos and liions have different voltage ranges, so Iā€™d have to get a new bms when upgrading to a new battery pack Also checked out an awesome build done mostly with taobao parts, that looked really cool. Still not sure about how to choose which motor Iā€™d want. If I go the dual motor route, how does that change my gearing and target motor?

Hi, Iā€™ve been lurking on this forum for a couple months now but I just decided to make an account. Iā€™ve already built one eboard that turned out not as well as I would have liked, so Iā€™m currently planning on rebuilding it. Iā€™ll probably need a ton of help with all this stuff.