[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

re-purposing those “Hoverboard” wheels/hubmotors? They would be a perfect size for a walker

Thanks Mike! Definitely a thought.

Any thoughts on specific units/vendors. It seems like all of the units I find are on Alibaba - and who knows what the specs or quality are. I’ve thought of simply cannibalizing an off-the-shelf hoverboard - but those things are HEAVY. Keeping weight down is important - shooting for about 15 pounds total - so an old guy can get it into a backseat easily.

Will here, my Lectric board 1 gen motor just crapped out and I was wondering if I can just upgrade the motor portion…and maybe the remote bc that’s not too great either.

Any info is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi

Back in school I used to build decks as a hobby. I worked with a friend and we built 70+ decks. It was a great hobby. I had dreamed of building a deck with electric power but could never fund it. Now I’m out of school and nearly 2 years into a job at a automotive company designing batteries for EVs. Now I have project space, access to tools, and a bit of cash in my pocket. The timing seems right and I am excited to finally start this project. I am in the process of resurrecting my press to start building some decks for this project. I want to build a few boards with off the shelf components and eventually design all of components. My background is Mechanical Engineering, so I am going to be focused on the layout and construction of the deck and trucks. I have an Electrical Engineering friend who has agreed to help with the electrical side.

I am doing plenty of reading right now and I will soon order components to develop my first electric deck. I want to really get going when I finish building the canoe in my garage!

Thanks in advance for everything!

2 Likes

Hey esk8builders! I’ve been lurking for a couple of months and finally decided to sign up and join the community. I’m from a small town in northwest Florida called Niceville and I’m getting ready to start my first build. I plan on cannabalizing my kahuna creations 59" (150 cm) deck to create a lazy all terrain board with modest speed, adequate hill climbing capability, and extreme range. Still a lot of learning to do so thanks in advance for all of your knowledge and guidance. Oh, yeah I’m built like a dwarf Sasquatch at 6’4 285lbs.

2 Likes

@tiptoptimmy welcome! And you probably need a dual set up :metal:t2:

That’s a great picture. I have already committed myself to dual but I really want to go quad so I can play around with things like traction and stability control. Here’s a picture of my board next to a girl who isn’t my girlfriend being held by a guy that isn’t me. I think I will have plenty of room for batteries to check the range requirement of my list.

4 Likes

Lol yeah …that board looks great…prob gonna need some nice size risers for the wheel bite…and a quad… sounds awesome… you have plenty of options on a deck of that size. If you go quad, you could getaway with being just a 6s quad and use car escs to make it cheaper … but 10s would be sweet

Hello! From NYC Brooklyn Trying to upgrade my range on my electric skateboard so I need some good help thx

2 Likes

Hi from Warrandyte Australia.

I love riding my Evolve but the biggest problem I have is my son keeps kicking me off it so he can ride, whilst I end up on his bike. Solution - build a second board. I have joined to learn as much as possible from the community, and hopefully one day contribute. I have been building quad copters for years so I’m hoping some of my knowledge is useful for building an eskate. I also have a bunch of LiPo’s hanging around that I want to put to good use.

I have just purchased a deck to convert. I really wanted something a bit different to the drop through Evolve so went with dual kicks. I plan on keeping the build light with replaceable battery packs so this will be a fun play board rather than a carvy cruiser.

Now - onto some research …

4 Likes

Hi I’m new here, you can call me Rivinis. Been planning on making my own electric board for a while and was watching tons of YouTube videos on it and one guy recommended your website. I still can’t post on the freaking website for some reason even though I’ve been reading on it for a few hours now, help. :confused:

1 Like

Hi there, long time skater, getting to old to push (that’s my excuse anyway!) Building my own is more of a long-term thought at the moment but I am looking to buy an electric board, (or probably a drive) hopefully soon. Cheers from rainy city

1 Like

Hey ! My name is Tom, 40 years old from Germay. I’m planing my first E-Longboard using this parts:

Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive 6374 192kv 2750W Batterie: 3s 6000 or more (maybe later on 4s - have enough from RC Helicopters) ESC: 180A Car ESC - 83mm Wheels

Motor Mount: i can’t decide between diyelectricskateboard and alienpowersystem

Alienpowersystems is located in the UK - so its easier to order and i don`t have to pay an customs duty. Price incl shipping is about the same …

Any hints or tipps for my Setup ? Tom

1 Like

Hi there community! I’ve recently joined the forum and am still learning the works around electric skateboards. I’ve skated street all my life and now am looking into cruising around town. I’m planning on building a dual motor cruiser with at least one kick tail (i’m too used to street sk8 that i can imagine myself riding without a kick tail). I’ll open up a build topic and keep you guys posted! Cheers

1 Like

Hey,

Just starting out in the Eboard world and am doing some research into mountain E-Boards. Love the concept and would like to build a board that I can use to knock around on and get from a to b. anything up to around 30Kph and strong enough to how 110kg. Will take pointers and places to go to satrt out I guess.

I think the main starting point Id like would be the specs or the components and ratios etc. I’m a technical person but please don’t try to dazzle me with all of the hyped up big words and brands names. Simple English will do fine. that way I can widen the hunt for parts.

So I have a budget of $500. Thats the aim. It’ll be tight and I think ill probably have to make my board, but thinking positively, I believe I can achieve it.

Cheers

1 Like

Hey,

RD here, been busy this whole weekend to read up on builds, set-ups, what minimally necessary to get your board of the ground (a figure of speech, for now).

So the concoction i came up with: Battery: 8000mah 22V 15C – 120 amp max output (maybe buying two in parallel) Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6354-260kv Wheels: 80mm (orangatang) Board: 34" longboard(already have that) Pinion: 15 (easiest to get by) Spur: 34 or 36 Remote: Ardiuno and wii

After i had dumbed this down for myself, i had to figure out which ESC i needed. If my idea and calculation are correct, you dont want to exceed on voltage but it can exceed amp. Thinking about a VESC (AeroStar Advance 120A HV 6s-12s) but an proper ESC like X-Car Beast Series could do the trick.

If something is off, please, by all means put me in my place.

Cheers,

1 Like

Hi, I have been skateboarding for the past 15 years mainly street, but found out about esk8 a few months ago and decided to build my own as I am also a drone freak and usually build my own.

I found this forum which is pretty cool as there is loads of useful information from people’s own experience, so I thought I would also share mine as it might help and you guys might also be able to give me a few pointers.

Here is my part list for now:

Board: Madrid Trance fur http://www.euroskateshop.com/shop/madrid-trance-fur-3743p.html

Motor: N6354 200kv 2300W from Aliexpress

Gears and motor mount: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Electric-Skateboard-Kit-Parts-Pulleys-And-Motor-Mount-For-80MM-Wheels-with-Bracket-Screws-Belt/32778230422.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.q5SXMp

ESC: Flycolor 150A boat ESC

Batteries: still not sure if 6S 10000mAh Lipo or 8S 10000mAh (even tough esc specs is between 2S and 6S) maybe some advice here…

Remote: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4Ghz-Plastic-Remote-Controller-W-receiver-for-Electric-Skateboard-Longboard/32787913157.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.q5SXMp

And that’s basically all I have for now. I have only recently finished mounting the mechanical part. here are a couple of photos of what I have done so far. Any input, especially on power is greatly appreciated.

cheers

2 Likes

Why use a water cooled ESC?

1 Like

I had seen this used in a previous build and seemed to work pretty well. And also was cheaper that a Vesc…

Issue is it won’t work on anything higher than 6S…so I am limited. Will probably go for something else.

Also my pulley ratios isn’t too good… 16 teeth on the motor and 46 on the wheel…

Hey There! I am a new member here! I want to build an E-board but no idea where/how to start. budget is about $450 i guess :slight_smile: I look forward to some replies!

1 Like