[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hi, i a new e-sk8 rider fro e-sk8.fr, France. 20km with my electrified longboard, and happy… But my second hand VESC looses his settings all the time, and 1 hour just killed my laptop (power surge by USB it seems. Crazy.) So i’m looking some advices elsewhere !

1 Like

I have a 3000w chinese hub motor with a 90kv, and it is a rocket. I paid $130 for it. I did replace the thin leads coming off the motor with nice big fat copper wire though. It’s a monster, I dig it.

Please help me, How to you post on this website :(…? I want to know the vesc/esc needed for a 22.2v lipo battery 10000 mAh !!

Hi everyone,

Been lurking and reading for a while now, thought I’d come in and “tip my hat”.

My name’s Nick, I’m a Brit currently living in Cyprus. My first e-board is on order through a member of this forum; everything is a pain in the ass to get out here so I decided to get an off-the-shelf model.

I’m into a lot of different hobbies, I’m a pizza and BBQ/Smoking enthusiast, I do a bit of gardening (chillies), I run marathons and ultras and I’m a cartographer (although that’s my job, not a hobby!).

Looking forward to speaking to you all in the future and having a very long summer riding around on my board when I get it! Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

currently building my first esk8, have a couple questions

My build is 12s lipo, running off a v4.12 VESC

• where can i download the bldc tool?
  • how do i configure my vesc?
  • what motor should i buy? (i’m between a 149kv 6374 sk3 because i can buy it right now instead of waiting a month and a 190kv 6374 jlabs sensored motor)
  • should i run FOC or BLDC? FOC seems better but apparently you can burn the VESC if you run it at 12s(?)
  • how should i configure my vesc so my batteries don’t over/undercharge and i don’t go over the erpm limit?

Hi all, my name is sanjoy, I’ve been doing allot of reading on here very interesting. I’ve decided to put a board together this is what i will be using.

VAN 42 DECK FLYING WHEELS - Purple, 42, Traditional - M7

Caliber II Fifty Degree Trucks from Proto Boards

Orangutang Kegel 80mm 80A Orange

Alien Power wheel 83mm 78A Orange

Proto Boards Black Motor Mount from Proto Boards

Hub Kits : x4 For Kegels and ABEC- Alien power systems wheels Hub Adaptor

Wheel Pulleys : x2 HTD-5 HUB drive pulley Number of teeth: 32T-15mm Alien power systems

Motor Pulleys : x2 HTD-5 motor pulley Bore size: 8mm Number of teeth: 15T Width: 15mm Alien power systems

Motors : x2 Maytech 190KV Motor 6355 from Proto Boards

VESC-X : x2 enertion

Remote : x1

Batteries : x1 Space cell pro 3 enertion

Drive Belts : x4 255, 5m, 15mm

Anti Spark Switch : x1 Vedder Spark Switch proto Boards

and then this Drv fault vesc was faulty and returned.

i decided to go with the Vesc-X and glad i did very neat design. Waiting for space cell pro 3.

next build with Vesc 6. 12s, foc.

8 Likes

You appear to have done your research. Good job. Why the odd number of pulleys and wheels?

Hi, I went for the Alien power system hub pulley adapters two for the kegels and two for Abec style wheels the wheel pulleys connect to the hub adapters and so I can swap the wheels if I want without too much bother. Hope that explains. Also I might make another board.

It does, good idea. I’m not a level fan, but I can see why a lot of people are. Good luck and give a tell if you need any assistance. There’s quite a few of us that have built multiple boards, working in number 6 myself :grinning:.

Thanks, and will do

Hello everyone! My name is Patrick and I live in Sitka, Alaska, USA. I’ve been trying too learn how to build an electric scateboard. I want an emtb really bad! I work as a welder/fabricator/mechanic in the marine industry so I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the mechanical side of things but I’m pretty much at sea when it comes to the electronics. I’ve learned a lot from this website so far. Thanks to all the veteran builders who have made such a good site and community! I’ve tried to read all the threads labeled as for beginners. Can someone recommend a reference book about the RC hobby please? In English? I’m definitely going to get one or two and I want to get a good one. Thanks!

Some prospects listed by date published in descending order:

There’s also a bunch specific to aircraft…

1 Like

I had the alien power hub pulley and wheel pulley for the ABEC 11’s. It was very badly done and extremely hard to put the screws through the restraining rings. Bad enough that I just threw them away.

If you still have not ordered these yet, you might want to see if you can get a couple off PXSS.

Been here for a few weeks now.

I plan to do my first DIY board, now that I have picked all the parts and worked out a rough costing estimate.

List below.

Trampa Products ( All of it is in my shopping cart, holding off till the end bungs for the battery panels is available before checking out )

Others ( Also holding off till I check out my Trampa cart )

Still Waiting

Looks like this is going to be pretty expensive.

2 Likes

Hi I am wanting to start my build very soon and am deciding on parts, I have been doing a fair bit of research. I am going to be building a mono, belt drive system. I am wanting to go for a 10s system by using 2 5000mAh 5S 20C turnigy batteries, a 192kv turnigy motor, a 16/36 system and I weigh around 75kg . Will this be enough to climb a 25 degree slope??

We need to meet up sometime, I need an assist. Remote controls with the vesc are baffling me, and I need an assist. I got two vescs from two different manufacturers, two remotes, and four receivers and I cannot come up with a working combination. I am sure I am the problem. In exchange, I will show you my top secret bearing cleaning technique, and I think you’ll dig it.
I’ll buy you lunch even.

Hey there, Scotsman living in France for 20 years, I’m just arriving at my tipping point where project must become reality, I’ve got together a bunch of ideas and would appreciate some advice or recommendations concerning my future build.

I was a skater when I was younger, own a fixed pitch RC helicopter and I know a thing or two about mechanical engineering, but somehow I can never get my head around electricity! Definitely qualifies as an interesting build for me!

So here’s the base: I bought a more or less random board to start out with (Freedom Dolly - Hangnail), of which I don’t know much about except that it’s bamboo and I like the looks of it :grin:

Now, I’ve also got a cart full of stuff on the Enertion website:

• 12mm wide drive pulley kit (I believe it’s 275mm belt, with motor and wheel pulleys)
  • 83mm Enertion Power Wheels
  • Enertion ABEC9 Bearings
  • Enertion nano-X 2.4Ghz Controller
  • New Vesc-X Motor Controller
  • Skate tool (Yeah I know… Sad to say I don’t own one yet!) Now I also have questions about two other things:
  • Enertion Narrow Trucks
  • 9mm truck riser set

Since I already own a board, with trucks and wheels, I was hoping I could save a few euros if I only bought one truck, to mount my own to-be homemade motor mount. But then, I have no idea how my board would feel to ride around with 2 differents trucks. Probably not very good I should imagine, but since my riding experience is only freshly renewed with, I’m not even sure I’d feel the difference, any thoughts on this?

The other question is for the risers. I’ve currently got 70mm wheels, and planning on going for the Enertion wheels, which are 83mm. With a wheel radius larger by just over 6mm, I was wondering whether it’d be better to go with the 6mm or the 9mm risers. This is really about detail, as I like my details very much! But is there any real difference in feeling when your cruising at a “higher altitude”? (3mm… right). I’m also a bit afraid of wheelbite…

I’m finishing off by the beginning, as it is always my habbit, and since I would like to profit from the sales on Enertion before they go out of stock! I will probably wait until I get my next pay check to order the motor and batteries. So, on that last thought, this is the hardest part for me: choice of motor and batteries.

• Motor: I’ve been swinging back and forth between Turnigy’s SK3 6374/6355 in anywhere between 149kv to 192kv, and APS’s equivalent, in 170kv and 190kv (with one of the problems being they have a 10mm axle, vs the 8mm bore hole in the motor pulley) I haven’t really gone over the power needs for this particular board, given it’s really to give it a try, I only weigh about 60kgs but I’d like other people to be able to use it too, so I’ve basically just looked at what people bought in general, verified that it was roughly the same end use(i.e. max speed, loads) and decided it was good enough for me for a first build. The problem is, the choice is fairly limited on APS and hobby king, as they are going out of stock quickly.

And so obviously, depending on what motor I end up choosing, I’m probably going to buy 2 6S lipos that I’ll mount in series, with a capacity of at least 5000mAh if I can find. I’m counting on a fair bit of range (perhaps 20-30kms would be optimal, eventually getting 2 more batteries for a 12S2P setup?) with a top speed of around 35km/h, for a start at least.

This project is bound to evolve during the process of building it, and afterwards of course. Heck if I enjoy it, I might go onto building a mountainboard also someday :slight_smile:

So… That’s about it for now! It’s nowhere near perfect, but so long as it works and doesn’t catch fire, I’ll be happy! “If it doesn’t work, hit it with a hammer!” That’s what my dad always said. And please, If I’ve made any mistakes, or forgotten anything critical, or even not so critical, I’d appreciate a generous return, any and all info is good to know! More questions are sure to come!

Cheers for now!

Looks good so far but Im 99% sure that enertion uses a 265mm belt (not a huge detail but you said you liked details :slight_smile:.)

As for the wheels, I would go with the 83mm ones from enertion (or Abec 11s) because the enertion pulley will not fit your 70mm wheels.

Speaking from personal experience, if you are already going for the enertion trucks, I would recommend buying a motor mount from DIY or some other place with Caliber II mounts. I built my own mount out of aluminum and sure it was a learning process and super rewarding but if you just want it to work and you don’t have the time (or the patience) to make it work I would go with a pre made mount.

For the risers, I ride pretty high (about 1/2 inch risers and 90mm wheels) and it feels fine once you get used to it. If you go for the DIY mount your can adjust the angles so the motor hitting the deck will not be an issue. My solution to wheel bite was to adjust the trucks so that they physically cannot (under my body weight at least) hit the deck when carving. You can’t get as tight turns like this but you can carve worry-free.

For the motor I would go with a 6374 190kv SK3 due to the fact that 190kv and 12s offer a good speed and torque which is great.

Last remark (sorry for making it such a long post :slight_smile:) be sure to make a build thread! Looking forward to see how it works out for ya. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice! I’ve already got the material for making the motor mount, or at least a prototype, I like messing around with aluminium as that was my first course: fitter for airplanes, and they really like their aluminium in that industry! But I’ve also considered just buying a fancy one also, just for practicality reasons. I’ll see when I get all the parts if my CAD models work out the way I’d want them too.

Once I’ve got everything together I’ll be sure to drop a post in the build thread, now that I’m on here. I really need some kind of a hobby and a community to go with it outside of gaming in my free time :smile:

And I also apologise for the the long posts… I’m a bit of a writer on top of all the rest. I’ll try to keep it simple in the futur!

Hi, Miles here. I’m actually trying to do something slightly different. My 96-year old Dad came across a video of a motorized walker (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FSWf8vG0kI&t=18s at around 1:34) - and started jonesing for one. I figure I’ll build him one.

Not that different than an electric board - except:

• a wider platform that attaches to a walker frame.
  • slow, probably single speed (1-2 mph)

I’m thinking that the ideal approach is a single-piece truck with internal motor, gearing, and battery - attached to a piece of wood might be all it takes (plus attachments, hinges, and such) - probably a dual-motor unit, allowing steering by differentially powering the motor - if I can find the right component. Otherwise, I’ll need to build from piece parts.

It’s pretty clear that a drivetrain designed for variable speed, 0-20mph isn’t quite the right fit. I came here hoping that some folks might have some comments on the basic approach, and suggestions as to specific components.

Now, if anybody knows a builder in the Phoenix AZ, or Boston, MA area - that would also be cool.

Thanks!

1 Like