[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Whats up people, my name is Manny, i’m probably the only one here from Tampa, Fl. Building my 1st eboard, ordered the parts and they are coming in every other day. I’ve been doing alot of reading and you guys are awesome, all the knowledge on eboards is amazing, thank you all. My 1st build consist of, Turnigy 6374, 2 Flightmax batteries 5000mAh 3s 20c, Orangatang Kegal 80mm, Caliber 50* trucks, motor mount from Diy, 42" canadian maple cruiser deck (raw, plan to wrap in carbon fiber or airbrushing it). Ordering the rest of parts within the next week. I have many questions and I will be looking for answers in threads for now, if not I will be asking for help, again, thank you and keep posting.

4 Likes

I’m building one with a Turnigy 6374 SK3, whick model motor do you have?

Hi I am a new member from Washington D.C. I am planning on building my first diy e-board with the following parts: Carvon single V2.5 hub motor with Abec 11 90mm flywheels Carvon Vesc 12S1P A123 LifePo4 battery built by me diyelectricskateboard’s mini controller Not sure on what deck If you have any thoughts I’m open to suggestions. Thanks

Hey @spaso, I am in the stage where I receive the components for my first build right now. I have done a lot of research in the last 4 months and will most likely go for Carvon motors too.

I just wanted to tell you that Carvon is working on new “hubs” (carvon v3) right now, which will have the advantage compared to V2.5 that you can easily swap out the wheels (which can then have thick urethane, motor is next to wheel, not in the wheel). They may also be a bit more powerful and cost 500$ on presale, only 100$ more compared to the 400$ you pay for the single V2.5 you suggested (which will really lack torque). (Infolink: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/carvon-v3-closer-than-everyone-thinks/13119/65)

There are also many other new Hub models from other companies coming out this year which you may want to consider, here’s a quick overview:

• Enertion Hubs: These 90mm “R-SPEC GHOST Hub Motors” will take probably around 7 months to come out as a single item, not sure yet. Right now it seems like they will have sick torque, a medium top speed (42 kph), they also look sick and will be sensored (the vesc knows in which position the motor is :arrow_right: smoother/stronger start). Their KV rating may change though towards a more top speed oriented motor though. (Infolink: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/raptor-2-most-powerful-direct-drive-electric-skateboard-kickstarter/12694/604)

• Hummie’s Beasts: Hummie is bringing his new 90mm * 101mm (yes you heard that right) wide hub motor beasts. These should be out by late spring and will just be insanely powerful, they are supposedly basically as strong as 4 old hummie hubs (steelhubs). Not sure how much the turning radius will be limited by this but they look promising. Hummies are also known for extreme durability and low prices, especially compared to Carvonskates, who often are pretty overpriced. (Infolink: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-nicest-hub-motors-for-sale-cheaper-than-anywhere/1002/1137)

• Torqueboards is also supposedly making new hubs within the next few months with a 220mm wide hanger, 40mm axle (caliber II style) and a “huge” hub motor. Not much info here yet but a wide truck will give you a very stable ride. (Source: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/whats-the-best-motor/8712/33?u=acin)

• EMF (Jacobhubs): I haven’t heard anything about new hubs right now from him. His old ones are generally pretty powerful but they have urethane slippage issues. I don’t think they can keep up with what the others are brewing up though.

This is AFAIK the hub motor situation right now, I wouldn’t recommend cheap chinese hubs. Carvon V2.5 are great hubs, I just wanted to inform you that it might be worth to wait a bit since its winter right now anyway.

So go through the links and think about what you are looking for: More Value? More Torque? More Top Speed? More Adaptability? More Durability? More Stability? More Maneuverability?

It’s all out there in 2017, a great year for hub motors - the future of esk8s. :wink:

3 Likes

When can I post a new thread? I have a question about my VESC cutting out (I’m running sk3 280kv with a 6s and vesc), my VESC flashes red six times when I get on and try to ride it. I cant even ride it and I don’t get any errors in BLDC. It goes when there is no load on it but only for 5 seconds of acceleration before it cuts out. Also how do I change the throttle range? Nothing has worked when changing in BLDC for throttle range for me yet.

Hey @ACIN

Thanks so much!

I have looked into most of these hubs and still I’ve chosen the V2.5’s because as an all around motor they seem really great. Also, I talked to Jerry from carvon and he said the V2.5 will be better torque wise then the V3’s. The V3’s wheel switching looks awesome, but since I would be getting the wheels I want (ABEC 11 90mm) on the V2.5’s it isn’t a big deal to me. Of course, many of these hubs look sick and if I’m ever interested in upgrading my e-board, which I probably will be, I might check out Hummie’s Beasts just to have more torque for awesome hill climbing. But yeah, looks like a really awesome year for hub motors and e-boards. Also, I saw in a video that the Enertion Hubs will not come to market as a separate item, and if they will, it won’t be anytime soon.

Best, Nick

Oh well, seems like you already know your stuff. :smile: I didn’t know that about the v3’s, thank you for the info! Now you actually helped me out haha, I will be going for dual V2.5 (raw) then!

Cheers

Good Luck!! If I had the money I would definitely go for the dual V2.5. You’ll have a rocket!!

Hi, I’m starting a build but I wanted to use a penny board because I like their size. I’ve read a lot and realized that most people think that’s a bad idea so I bought a nickel board to use. I really like the design. Now I read on here that I should use 83mm wheels but the nickel uses 59mm. I really like the wheels, they match the board nicely. Is it really that awful to use that size? And if I size up to I need risers or anything like that?

1 Like

You’re going to run into issues with mounting a pulley on the wheel. You could drill holes in the wheel yourself, but most of the wheel pulley solutions are designed for flywheel clones. 83mm is the smallest size I’ve seen them in. You might also have some trouble finding a mount that works for those trucks since most of them are designed for Caliber II trucks.

We need to do a group ride sometime in Orlando (probably the best central meeting point, and @longhairedboy knows all the good riding spots), as we’ve got a couple Floridians on here!

1 Like

Thanks for your quick response. So I was hoping I could just drill holes in the wheels since I’ve seen that done before. But now I see you also don’t think my trucks would work… :cry:. I’m actually a 5’5 120lb female so I like to keep things light and small for convenience. I don’t need it to go horribly fast. I want to use it as a city cruiser since I’m in Philadelphia a lot and you can’t really park there. I also have an arduino exploration I want to customize for the controller and was curious of I could use it with Bluetooth. And per your advice, I should change the wheels and trucks?

Last week i saw my Atom 95 mountain board that i was going to use for land-boarding but Ive decided not to harness the wind on land, I’m looking to build a dual motor MBS with 2x [(4s 3Ah), (260kv motor), (72T Gear wheel from [Evolve] (https://evolveskateboardsusa.com/collections/wheels/products/drive-gear-gen2-at-kit?variant=32784427524) with matching belts), (16T Motor Gear), (utilizing this motor mount kit), Vedder VESCs and a RC Quanum 2.4Ghz 3ch Pistol Grip Tx & Rx System ]. I can’t wait for the parts to come.

How many in general? I would be interested to find more about how these group meets end or what happens in them! The ‘‘french people’’ esk8.fr … does make some really nice videos from their group meets, it seems…

You can check this video:

1 Like

Hey everyone! Just joined up but have been reading here for a number of months as well!

I plan to make the best board I can on a budget. I’m part of the budget light forum and laser pointer forum community and have a little bit of experience with electronics, not much though :wink:

My sister is the social media manager at Bajaboard so that’s given me a few opportunities to ride it and see what its all about :wink: Videos to come!

Looking forward to being a part of this great community!

5 Likes

2 Likes

to be honest i probably shouldn’t even be here. i have basically no need for an electric skateboard right now (i commute to work in the middle of massachusetts) but the idea is a full-on brain worm at this point. If i move to silicon valley or detroit for my dream job of automotive software R&D then i’ll be in a great place for one but…

for now, i’m itching to do some torture tests of 3d printed parts like motor mounts and pulleys, but printed out of taulmann bridge, extremely tough nylon. It doesn’t print pretty but the parts are SUPER strong. Once i upgrade my delta to a larger size and enclose it, i’ll have all the hardware needed to print nylon well. current plan: make a bench test setup, get some trucks and wheels and a motor, power the whole thing using a PSU of some kind, and just let it run for hundreds of hours and see what it does to the nylon.

eventually i’d love to go totally custom, make my own battery pack, mounts, enclosures, maybe even the board if any makerspaces nearby has the bits for making carbon fiber sheets, toss a decal of my choosing on the bottom as well.

i should really visit my local skate shop…

2 Likes

Hey, cool. I’m new here too. Maybe you can use your 3d skills to help out folks like me for a small fee. I’d love a printed motor mount. They are expensive to buy from enertia boards site… I’m still on the fence about using my original wheels as I’d like a smaller set up and I’m sure I’ll probably need some custom work for it to happen

Hey! My name is Pontus and Im from Sweden. Skated abit when I was younger, kinda miss it. Came across electric skateboards and my jaw dropped, was gonna buy one but I love having projects and as Im currently studying(System developer) and have some spare time and vacations I decided to start my own electric skateboard build. Was supposed to be a super-budget one but got to hyped and ordered some more expensive parts.

Anyway, its about to get done, just waiting on some things I ordered for my enclosures and charger/woodinserts and capacity display. I actually have a thread about it here on this forum.

Cant wait to take it out! :smiley:

2 Likes

i’m not going to offer up prints unless i can do some torture testing on nylon parts and find them to be comparable in strength and wear resistance to aluminum. I think things get really murky legally when you’re printing something and then selling the print, since like on thingiverse there’s implied copyright on all objects on there and suchlike.

if i find that nylon works great you can always get the parts off shapeways or perhaps find a makerspace in your area with a printer good enough to do nylon. PLA just won’t cut it by comparison