[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Cool I hope the community is awesome here - I’ll have to buy him lunch or something :slight_smile:

Hi, I built my first eboard two years ago with a single 245kv motor, the good old HK 120A ESC and a 6s 5000mah battery with a custom 3d printed enclosure. I was very happy with my setup but I broke the battery last month because I discharged it too low. The low voltage cutoff of the ESC worked, but I restarted the board to finish my trip (my ESC doesn’t detect the low voltage for ~5min when I do that, don’t ask me why…) and… I put the board aside for 2days before recharging it. Of course, one of my cells died in this time and I couldn’t do anything to save it…

It’s a good opportunity to start a new board, especially with all the news improvements made by this community. I’m currently building my deck with integrated battery and electronics. It’s a 2cm thick deck made from plywood panels and the goal is to have nothing outside this deck. The battery is a 6s 5000mah(enough for my use) homemade (<1cm thick). For the ESC, it’s going to be a V-ESC( I need to check the diameter of these big caps before to see if they fits in my deck). And the motor will be a Torque single hub. I think it may be good, because I weight 70kg(155lbs) and I’m riding only on flat ground with moderate speed(20-30km/h).

I will create a build post and show some pics when I have more time.

hi there all…my name is bernard, im from from South Africa! so im really hooked on this new found interest that is electronic sk8boarding…i think i might of found myself a new hobby!

i already own a couple of longboards and love skateboarding, i used to skate street when i was younger and more supple…but now im in my 30’s and enjoy cruizing rather.

i use my longboard often for commuting to work and crossfit gym… i have to say, im blown away by this idea of motorizing skateboards! i never knew that there are actual hobby motors to deliver such torque…

so on the topic of torque and speed that these motors can deliver… i weigh in at just 90 kg’s.

i really want to build my own drivetrain on my existing board… sooooo my first question is…am i too heavy??? im not fat so i cant lose any weight, or i guess maybe i can shed a kilo or two… am i doomed?

looking forward for any advice…thanks cheeeeers!

No your weight is fine :slight_smile: I wouldn’t worry too much unless you were like 120kg

thanks for the reply…awesome!

Do you think I can get away with a single drive setup?

Yeah you’ll need a 6374

Is that the motor type?

Yeah I usually sell them but I’m out of stock for a while

Cool…one last thing, can you give me a good hobby shop site where I can order parts to plan my build? And that delivers globally…please, thanks :wink:

Hi! So, my name is Federico, im from Argentina and planing a trip to US in a few weeks. Trying to build my first eboard this is what its in my budget. I think its ok, still I have some doubts about the power consumption of the motor and the power gives by the batteries. The motor says 8S-10S, and with two of those batteries in serie i have 6S 5000mAh, 30C.

Hi, I’m Will from Los Angeles. This past summer I built an electric penny board, to help get me around town and take me to class in college. Here’s my parts list and specs:

ESC: VESC

Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192kv Brushless Outrunner Motor (way too much power, only running it at half power right now)

Batteries: 2 4s Turnigy Nano-Tech 4500 mah in series.

Wheels: 76mm ABEC 11 flywheels

Belt and pulleys: 36T ABEC Pulley Combo Kit from

Controller: TorqueBoards 2.4ghz Nano Remote Controller

Motor Mount: Custom Made, as I could not find one that fits penny boards

Specs: Top Speed: 19.5 mph Range: 7.5 miles (this was on a mix of 15 to 20 degree hills and flat ground) Hill Steepness: 20 degree hills no problem, haven’t tried anything steeper than that

I’m currently trying to improve top speed by potentially switching to 9s, or swapping 13T motor pulley for 16T Also trying to find a better motor mount solution as the one I have is shaky and by far the most unreliable part of the board.

1 Like

Hello World! My name is PK and I live about an hour north of Atlanta. I have a Boosted Dual+ that is my daily driver and I am almost finished with my first custom build.

This is such a great community and really appreciate everyone’s helping words! @FLATLINEcustoms has been an awesome mentor getting into the custom esk8 realm. Building his Mad Munkey this weekend.

4 Likes

I’m interested in doing a build on an Arbor Axis deck, what are those inserts in the holes where the drop through trucks normally go? I’ve seen it on yours as well as other boards and am wondering if it is just aesthetics or if there is some function behind it.

1 Like

The axis makes for a great esk8 build. The inserts are designed by my buddy @FLATLINEcustoms and they house a voltage display, XT90 anti, and lights switch. They are a great design and easy to print.

Hello folks, I have done my reading and searching now and it would be great if someone could just take a look at my build list to see if my parts synergize well:

I know some other things, especially cables, battery charging stuff, tape, possible lights, buttons, screens and so on are missing, but I can figure that out later without much advice.

Now some questions regarding my build:

• Do these batteries go well with my motors? (I’m 65kg, got some decent hills here, want to achieve around 10-15km range, they wont fry my motors/vescs will they under proper care?)

• Gearing Ratio: I want primarily good torque, and secondly I was aiming for around 40km/h, so because of my 2 pretty powerful motors, medium-lowish wheel diameter, my high voltage and my low weight I thought I could go a bit lower on the gearing ratio to achieve higher top speeds. What do you think? Or should I just go for the classic 15/36?

Thanks in advance, I would be really thankful if someone could share some experience here. Greetings ACIN

Edit: Okay so I just found out thanks to @NickTheDude that I should run 10S instead of 12S, and that my range should be well over my wanted 12-14km under my 10S*5Ah=185Wh Setup ( ~~~> 18km range).

Still wondering though if my 15/32 Gearing and my 83mm wheels will transform enough of that ridiculous torque I’m getting from my dual 190kv motors (under 10S) into topspeed. I want it well balanced.

Hi! I’d like to know your experience with Scramboards VESC, because online and among people in this forum practically no one has reported any opinion about it.

To get your top speed use this calculator http://calc.esk8.it Common gear ratios you can buy are 36/16, 36/15 and 36/13 so I’d check those out and choose whichever top speed you want. I’m pretty sure your going to have enough torque regardless though.

1 Like

@ACIN how much power (watts) do those motors put out? The page is in Chinese so I can’t read the specs. The power of the motors will help determine which gear ratio you should use to get the best balance of top speed and torque.

@pennyboard It’s the same motor as the enertion 6355 motor: 2400W (Just less than half the price :wink: ). I thought it is fairly popular on the forum.

@NickTheDude I know about the calculators, the thing is if I set it to give me the ideal topspeed - say 40 km/h, I still don’t know if the torque will be high enough. It doesn’t tell me if the torque is well balanced with speed in relation to my weight.

That is why I was asking for some human experience to give me a rough estimate of how I should set my transmission.

Anyway my proposed setup (10S 83mm 190kv 15/32 80% Efficiency) gives me a topspeed of 41.24 km/h, and as I said I’m not sure if I should give up on some topspeed here for torque.

So what does your experience fed intuition say?

Thanks for the help!