[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

This is how it looks

And this is the remote I made from an actual wii nunchuck (I put a small lipo, an atmega328 and a tiny nrf24l01 inside) I coded the communication protocol myself (through 2.4 ghz)

8 Likes

Hi I’m super new and i have been a street skater for around 8 years and I really want to ride and electric skateboard and buying one is too much money so I’m here so I can try and build one. :smiley:

I have no tools or experience so this is going to be fun. :smiley:

I hope you guys here can help me with my first ever electric board.

Hey all, I’m Rob! I’ve been lurking for about a month now. I’m looking at building an electric longboard, and maybe a electric mountain board later on. I’ve just been doing a lot of reading and researching until now.

I’m an engineering student and I love just fiddling with stuff, so I’m hoping to do as much as possible on my own. Being a current student I also have access to a lot of tools and machinery that I wouldn’t have otherwise, so I think I actually can do a lot of my own.

Anyways, I’m hoping to building something I can have some fun with and possibly use as a commuter board (bike recently got stolen :frowning:) I’m probably going to do a dual setup for the torque so I can up a few hills close by, and for the acceleration :smile:

Parts list so far -Deck: I’d like a Loaded Vanguard or Dervish, but for cost I may end up buying a homemade deck from a friend of mine.

-Trucks: Caliber II 44, 10", probably in green or blue

-Wheels: Flywheels, probably clones. Also, green or blue

-Motor Mount: I’ve started designing my own based off of a mix of @psychotiller’s mount and @onloop’s free plans. Gonna buy some aluminum and machine it myself (well probably water jet)

-ESC: VESC. Buy the parts and solder it myself.

-Motors: @torqueboards’s or @onloop’s 6355. Unless I can find an Aerodrive. Still somewhat undecided but leaning towards torqueboard’s, definitely looking for input on that.

-Batteries: 18650s pack. Also, buy the parts and solder it myself. Still deciding between 12s4p, 12s3p, 10s4p and 10s3p.

1 Like

Nice! Can’t wait to see your build

Hi, my name is Ricardo. I’ve been doing research for a while about e-boards and I’m already getting the parts to build my first one. I’m studying medicine, so I lack some engineering knowledge, which I’m rapdily getting mainly from this forum. Once I figure out how to create a new thread, I will explain the ideas I have for my build (some of which I haven’t seen before :P). I hope I can learn a lot of new stuff from you guys.

(Yes, I have read the tutorial to create a new thread but it seems like the “New Topic” button doesn’t want to appear on my browser)

1 Like

Welcome mate…don’t worry this site is easy…

Take a look at this thread started by @evoheyax it will give you a good start of you haven’t seen it already.

Yeah, I had already checked that (many times :joy:). I have posted my plans in the E-Board builds section in case some has better ideas to improve the build.

Hey guys!

I’m Dave, and I just started doing my research to build an e-skateboard! I am excited to start, I’m not sure what my plan is yet but I know I want it to be a super high performance build. If anyone wants to steer me in the right direction while I do my reading I’d really appreciate it! @Michaelinvegas has already helped a bunch via chat room, thanks Michael.

Once I do have a plan I’ll open up a thread and hopefully share some knowledge and science :wink: It’s feels great to be a part of such an awesome community

1 Like

Yes best to get on here…there’s some good info and good people here to chime in…

Can’t wait to see your build thread :facepunch:t2:

Hey guys, I’m from South Africa - beautiful country but far from all of you as well as parts :slight_smile:

I’m still figuring out the best way to get good quality affordable parts for my build. I got in contact with a guy here in South Africa that sells eboards for a great price, but I’m not sure if I can trust the quality? Maybe you can make a suggestion?

This is the setup: It is a heavy duty industrial 12v DC RAM motor. Size: 80mm diameter x 140mm long.

The speed controller is a 36v variable voltage speed controller with built in low battery powercut to protect the battery. Size: 93mm( L) x 64mm(W) x 32mm(H).

The top speed is 50km/hr (if you weight around 70kg). Max distance on a single charge is 25km. It takes 5hrs to fully charge.

Twist grip throttle Aluminium Motor Axle Bracket 38 Tooth Sprocket 12 Tooth Sprocket Timing Belt

36V Lead Acid Battery Pack: He said: “(you can use lithium polymer, which is much lighter and smaller and can be mounted under the board, but its much more expensive)”

What do you guys think?

1 Like

Hey Everybody!

My name is Jamy and I’m from Belgium. I recently started planning an e-board build. My plan is to convert my small cruiser board to an electric one (1 motor). Reason for the cruiser is that I take the train a lot and carrying a longboard on the train together with my luggage isn’t that easy, the cruiser just straps to my backpack.

The plan:

• Vesc (Waiting on Enertion to get my order through, last update was mid June so pretty much after my exams, which is good.)
  • Turnigy SK3 245KV (HobbyKing’s stock of motors is horrible right now so I hope that comes through next month)
  • 4x ZIPPY 5000mAh 3S 25C batteries, I’ll be mounting 2 for 6S and I’ll swap in the other 2 if I need extra range.
  • Paris 180 trucks, 83mm wheels and Enertion drive belt and things (Have already arrived :slight_smile: )
    • I hope this won’t look too funny, the trucks I have now are quite a bit smaller :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Logic 3 wireless nunchuck, I’ll be trying it with the VESC, not scared of having to make code changes if needed. It’s one of the only Wireless nunchucks you can find in Europe for a decent price.

I’ll certainly make a progress thread/videos, not sure yet. I just hope the motor doesn’t stay AWOL for too much longer…

1 Like

if u need a motor fast check out enertion, ollinboardcompany, or torqueboards

I still need to wait for my VESC which will probably arrive mid-end of June so I can leave the backorder on HK lingering for a bit still :slight_smile:

EDIT: WOOP motor packed now :smiley: Also taxes on parts outside of Europe get expensive quick here in Belgium…

Hi. My name is David I am 21 years old. I have a history of tinkering with guitars, amps, and computers. I just got my first electric skateboard (a chinese clone) so my current plans is to learn as much as I can then decided if the best course of action is to mod it (change esc with vesc, swap battery, give it a hub motor) or to just sell and build my own from scrap.

Hi everybody,

I’m Boubak, I’m a French software developper living in Evreux, Normandie and working in Paris, and I’m doing a E-sk8, with :

• loaded tant tien flex 1 deck
  • paris 195mm trucks
  • oragantang kegel wheels
  • two 220kv alien power systems sensored motors
  • two alien drive system motor mounts with the corresponding wheel hubs
  • two custom 3D printed parts to replace the weak washer hub locking system from alien drive
  • two vesc v4.7 from enertion
  • four turnigy 4s/5Ah battery to make a 8s/10Ah pack
  • gt2b remote

And I’m at the step where I’m done with soldering all the wires, connectors, and starting to put all parts together.

Nice to be here, Voila!

3 Likes

Hi,

My name is Luis Sismeiro and I’m from Portugal. I become interested in electric longboards after seeing Casey Neistat riding a boosted Board in his vlog. I believe many of the people now interested in electric longboards were also “inspired” by Casey.

Currently I’m 42 years old and I never had a skate or roller skates and I decided to learn now how to ride an electric longboard. I already saw many videos explaining how to ride a normal skate but I look forward for the real thing.

Electric longboards are a very rational option for every day last mile (1.609 kilometre if you are in a metric system country) commute if weather permits it. Also as an enjoyment, riding around with the wind gently blowing in your face should be a nice feeling.

As my first electric longboard I decided to go with a pre-built. I’m still waiting for it to arrive at my home and shouldn’t take much longer since the boat coming from China already arrived to Europe. Yes, it’s a Chinese clone but after doing all the math and seeking other options it was the less expensive way that I found to have an electric longboard.

I though going DYI for my first electric longboard since I like to thinker with things and I already built a quadcopter from scratch when “drones” weren’t as known as today more than 4 years ago. The decision to go with a pre-built was made because I don’t want to have the hassle of dealing with the LiPo batteries maintenance particularities and because importing individual components from all over the world to Europe is expensive.

Currently, while I’m expecting my electric longboard to be delivered, I’m reading about the DYI projects and understanding all parts an electric longboard needs in case I have to upgrade my pre-built board with new components or repair it. Now that I understand better about the trucks, motors, drive trains, etc. I’m becoming more and more interested in building my on electric longboard. Only time will tell if I go that route or not.

I hope to continue learning through the information provided in this forum and eventually help others with their doubts. Let’s see how this new project will go, I hope I don’t have to break a bone or two before start riding comfortably in an electric longboard.

Regards, Luis Sismeiro

4 Likes

Welcome @sismeiro

Don’t worry … Leaning to ride and electric skateboard is a lot easier than just leaning to kick and ride on a normal board…(in my opinion)…I think it’s because you can control the speed and have the ability to stop… Balance and trigger control… Pretty much what you need to worry about.

Oh btw … 44 here :wink:

Alright, my adventure starts here :smile:

I’ve been a happy owner of a Yuneec e-go for quite some time here but it recently died on me. As I researched ways to fix it, I found this great community. In all honesty, I’ve been reading you for a few weeks now, spying on your conversations, learning from you. Today, I feel I know enough to get started on my project, my 1st DIY of possibly many.

My project is actually underway. Its REALLY hard to get the part where I’m from (Montreal, Canada). I managed to get a 250kv 6362 Power HD Motor, and that after 3 weeks of searching. Everything else I had to order online.

Gear as of now:

1. The mentioned motor
  2. Ordered a VESC from http://www.ollinboardcompany.com/ Am I right to think this is from @chaka ?
  3. Got the single motor mount, wheels, pulleys, belt etc from DIY (Can’t wait to get it)
  4. Got my Caliber 180mm trucks
  5. Gonna mount all this on my Loaded Fat tail
  6. Got the remote from DIY also

At this point, all im missing are the batteries, wires, XT90 Loop key, fuse and enclosure. Am I missing anything? :slight_smile:

Im excited!

3 Likes

Welcome to the Jungle @EpicCel

We invite you to start your own build thread…so other people drool over your set up.

Yes…Are you going to use a battery? :wink: