[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

What is the benefit to running at 10s instead of 6s with the carvons? other than an increase in max speed. If I can achieve he 35 mph spec with a 6s as listed (which as of Jan 1 2016 will be the speed limit on roads for electric skateboards here in cali), then why go up to 10s?

More power at startup and uphill, less heat on motors and electronics since less amps are drawn, more reach. Speed is not an issue, I already did >35mph with 7s which was ok for me and I still had a lot of reserve.

ahh, well it sounds like I’ll need a 10s now that i’m moving my esc’s to the vesc. Is the 10s your using by any chance the space cell?

1 Like

Yes, I am using the space cell and I am still very happy with it. Also I am using both builds with VESC FOC now and both are as quiet as never before! :smile:

4 Likes

damn I’m convinced, going for dual hub motors for sure .Thanks!

Hey I’m Adam,

Ordered a Raptor Mono bout a week ago so pretty pumped to start hitting the streets with it.

I used to freeboard back in the day and that thing would always try and make me eat shit. Still was good fun, However could not ride flats and had to always walk up hills for another run.

Anyway when I get the raptor I will be happy to share my experience with it with you all.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m Logan.

I’m moving out to the Bay Area and figured I’ll need a way to get around relatively flat Palo Alto; my brother brought a board kit for Christmas and I was hooked.

I’m going to be working through a build and have started a thread to get some input and help here: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/help-27-deck-caliber-trucks-single-r-spec-190kv-motor-enertion-mount-6s-vesc/802. Would love any thoughts or feedback!

I’m new to both longboarding and to electric vehicles, so it will be quite a challenge, but I’m heartened that this seems like such a friendly and active group. Looking forward to jumping in and hopefully getting to know some of you along the way!

3 Likes

Hi, I’m JT!

I’ve been interested in the Electric Longboard community for months, and I’ve decided I want to build my own now (on a small budget hopefully)! I stumbled across this site whilst researching components for a build, and am amazed by the builds I’ve seen on here.

I’d like to use the community’s help in guiding me on what components to use, and with cinematography being my main hobby, I hope to document the construction of my first board through video for all to learn from!

Hey JT, welcome to the forums. Be sure to make a build thread ASAP so we can help you get started.

Hi everyone! I’m Mike from Canada.

I’m a novice boarder and want to build a mini short range commute board. I’ve started a thread here.

I hope to be able to contribute to your community in some way! Here are some of my previous pet projects: Arcade Coffee Table | DropCatch | Optimus Prime 1 2 3

1 Like

Greetings everyone. So glad there is something like this to gather knowledge and bounce ideas off of in preparation of a build. I doubt there is anything unique in the way of design challenges that hasn’t already been tackled her and elsewhere but if you’ll pardon my current state of knowledge (or lack thereof) on most things e-board I’d like to pick your collective brains. So here goes. I’ll admit from the outset that this first one may seem odd, but what is the best way to de-rate the motor/controller/drivetrain combination whereby the peak top speed is no more than 15mph but still have plenty of toque and range. This figure might even be a bit high, but as someone in their early 50’s who has not been extremely active the last few years due to some physical limitations but is extremely interested in a build of this kind I don’t foresee myself using something like this the way many of you here might. Say for instance carving or satisfying a need for speed so to say. Which means I would essentially be using an e-board for commuting. Probably no more than 12 - 15 miles a day. With that in mind I know there are going to be instances when I will be thrown “off-board”, and I seriously doubt gracefully recovering from such an event on a board that is traveling in excess of 20mph would be healthy or wise for someone of my age and stature weighing in at close to 250lbs on a 6’2" frame. Probably not the physique that you would normally see on any board period. But I’m motivated and will not be detoured by my physical aloofness. Of course I will have an extensive array of safety gear, as I’m way beyond looking cool if that’s at all possible at my age. So any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. And btw I have read all of the faq subjects but a lower top speed as a goal did not seem to be covered. Glad to be here.

1 Like

Welcome @Monk!

I know there are a ton of us here who would love to help you build a board with your desired wishes.

I recommend to start that you create your own build thread. Within it, say what kind of specs you are looking for (i.e. Range, speed, etc) and other things that might impact the parts we recommend (i.e. Weight, are there hills in your area, etc).

Here’s some starter info to consider: Motor KV varies directly with speed, so if you want less speed, you want less KV. Also, lower KV motors have more torque.

Torque also increases at higher voltages.

So for example, a common build is combining a 190kv motor with a 10s battery (the “s” stands for cells, so in this case, it is 10 cells. That makes roughly 42volts, as each cell is around 4.2 volts fully charged) this gives about a 25mph top speed though…

By switching the motor to a 149kv, we will be able to lower the top speed: also, limits can be put in the speed controller to make the board not so touchy.

Looking forward to your build :smile:

Hello all!

I have been dreaming about an e-board for quite some time. For some reason it didn’t occur to me to build my own until I stumbled across a YouTube video. Now I am still trying to decide on the components that I want to use. I have been doing a lot of research for months now and have it pretty well narrowed down but am still very open to about all my components. I do how ever intend to use an Arduino for my remote control. I plan on running a dual motor set up but with functionality of the arduino switching between one motor for endurance and two motors for power and hills. I have a long ways before I am ready to start my build but look forward to seeing all the other builds.

Cheers!

Hi

new here as you can most likely tell, thought it was a good idea to stop lurking and join already. so far i have had two boards, first caught fire and then i built a second.

plan is just to have something to boot around base on

edit: basic member i can post more pics

first board

what it did to me

second board after the first one burned down

4 Likes

Welcome @mdmoxley and @delta_19!

You should both start a build thread to show more details about building/ your builds.

Welcome to the forum! Hope to be of help on your builds.

1 Like

Maybe don’t have a place I can do a lot of work so building is a little difficult.

I said building/ your buils. So you could start a thread and post details about your build. Battery, motor kv, all of that.

@lox897 I plan to start a build thread when I have a few more details and specifics narrowed down and look forward to the help and knowledge that can be gained here!

@Monk Nice to welcome a member closer to my age. I’m almost 56 and building an e-board for commute. Please post a thread with your project so we can follow. I am current building Project Zephyr. Cheers.