NEW IMPROVED: FOCBOX | Official Thread

Their firmware is built for aircraft so I don’t think it would work since you’d have no brakes

says it has “active braking” that works when slowing down. don’t know what that would mean though. wish someone would get one a try it out or find out

I’m quite lost with the Focbox, I couldn’t find a convincing answer about updating it.

Should I use the VESC Tool and update my FOCBOX with it ? Should I use the BLDC Tool available on Enertion website ? Should I use @Ackmaniac custom BLDC tool with custom firmware ?

I’d like to use the VESC Tool and update it but people in that thread http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/vesc-tool-on-focbox/33352 says that it doesn’t work in FOC with the last firmware ?

Supposedly you loose your warranty if you install anything other than what is available on their website, though I can’t find a mention of that on their website.

Other firmware is a personal choice. Ackmaniak’s firmware is based on the vesc-tool and offers additional options. The FOC issues have been resolved a while ago/that thread contains old info.

1 Like

I used the VESC-Tool from Vedder and also from Ackmaniac because he has this nice breaking / reverse function. Firmware 3.1000

1 Like

Dont forget the FocBox is just a normal “Vesc Version 4” with a heatsink and two caps. Has the same hardware design flaws (ground loop on the CAN chips) as all copy cats version 4.

We’ll that would be stupid, why would you create a product based on open hardware but don’t trust the open source firmware for it ? Anyway, I used the BLDC tool from enettion website to set it up and it went fine, a bit scary at first when coming from the Vesc tool but not super hard in the end.

is a 3d model available? I need it to figure out the spacing of components and dimensions for an electronics compartment & diy eboard I am 3D modeling in inventor / solidworks / fusion

12 Likes

Sad to see it go. Still not sure if I’m completely sold on a dual VESC. Its a big chunk of change to fork back over if something fails on it. My build now is 2 singles, I got a Unity on order so I guess I’ll form my opinion then!

5 Likes

Are you sure? the title of this thread is “NEW IMPROVED” … time to step on with a new product … there is always something to improve (or a V2 :wink: )

1 Like

I thought for a split second that there actually was a 2.0… now I’m sad again :sob::sob::joy:

2 Likes

Unity is the evolve form of FOCBOX, so you can say V3 as FOCBOX got updated twice before :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah you know what I meant :joy:

Maybe someday

3 Likes

I can understand :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@CarlCollins can you tell me what was updated on the recent focboxes with the v 1.7 label on the pcb?

You can disconnect the can bus while powered on without to fry the can port

Than v3.1 and call it split unity :joy::man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Is there anyway for you guys to consider doing another run like in a group buy? Probably not right now but later next year. How many is the minimum quantity to do a run of singles?

3 Likes

If they throw in free shipping and at the black friday price they would probably have a line of people waiting. I almost snagged 2 focbox over the weekend but I needed to give me credit card a break.