New Hummie Hubs!

USPS was playing hot potato with my motors, but they finally arrived. So beefy. I’m feeling a little warm down there right now.

3 Likes

going to the post office today and get shipping prices for the next on the list and give those to To you in hours Five sets go out today but I have a couple more sets done too but waiting on Paris trucks to come (they’re in Cali and should be quick). For sure everything is going out this week!!

4 Likes

New urethane is really nice, but unfortunately these suffer from the same flaws as other hubs with axle bending being an issue. I’m not really heavy at 175lb either. Didn’t take a hard hit or anything. I just looked down and saw the wheel looked weird while riding, picked it up and saw this…

IMG_20180922_152158

3 Likes

surprising since it’s supposed to be 12mm axle instead of the usual 8mm. though bending seems safer than breaking… i think some of the other hub motor axle failures were snapping more like twigs. @slerm it would be interesting to see how the axle looks with the motor removed…

3 Likes

Man that sucks hopefully you can get that fixed! What battery / bms setup are you running?

I am guessing, since you can’t go bigger, you have to go stronger? Heat treated steel or titanium?

Are u sure it’s not unscrewed from the axle Or something. Bending 12mm of steel is hard to Do no matter what steel

If it shows to be the axles aren’t strong enough I’ll get some made stronger and the motors can go on those.

2 Likes

If the motor or bearing was overheating for some reason. Might have an effect But prob would have to be significant temp. Edit: derp, reference chart was in C not F

If it was hot enough to soften steel the winding would have shorted long ago

What steel grade are using @Hummie ?

2 Likes

Hummie Hubs don’t melt steel beams

11 Likes

I can just feel the wind in my fro as we speak :wink:

Ugh. 4140 steel

“Hi John,

I asked our production and they response is:4140 Steel Axle HR42-45(i don’t well understand the steel,can you understand it?)”

Not the strongest stuff but commonly used as axles and I knew they were using it. especially with the diameter of 12mm or maybe even 11.5 with the threading I’m surprised. I’m seeing if can get some harder axles made now cast in the same hanger. See how long it takes. Didn’t think that could happen.

1 Like

If it was bearing it would transfer directly to where axle would be likely to bend. But you’re right. Windings would short cuz that would require some crazy temps.

@Hummie even though kickstart idea is awesome. Maybe you should hold off a bit and consider this as your “large scale” test. See what problems arise. Might save u money down road and not piss off backers(less unforeseen delays)

4 Likes

this is a test youre right and getting ahead of things too fast. im getting those hangers made with harder steel now.

2 Likes

Will we be getting the better hangers with the motors that you haven’t sent out yet?

use the hangers that I have already and if you bend it i’ll give you another until I have the new hangers with a stronger axle. but i’ll get ahold of them tonight and see the time on them getting them done. I have many of these softer ones in the meantime and they’ve shown good with everyone else so far. As was said the axle being a less hardened steel it will be prone to bending not snapping so I think its not a problem going this route and @slerm ill send you two of the 12mm hangers.

2 Likes

Might depend how tight the hubs are pressed against the aluminum of the trucks also, some of that bending load can be transferred to the aluminum of the hangar if tightened properly, but I can’t see how the hubs are secured to the axle in the images I’ve scrolled through.

the motor/stator tube is screwed onto the threaded 12mm axle, then a reverse threaded nut screws onto a thinner gauge threaded axle-end through the middle of the motor to prevent the motor from unscrewing itself, similar to how a cog is attached on a fixed gear bicycle.

1 Like

Sounds unlikely this self-loosened then. Stil, it could be one possible reason that his may have bent when others haven’t experienced issues. Hopefully it’s an isolated incident. I agree that a 12mm steel shaft sounds plenty strong, the danger of going with another harder steel alloy is they tend to fracture instead of bending.

3 Likes