New Hummie Hubs!

you’ll get 66% more torque/thrust/acceleration at low speeds

@professor_shartsis thank you it is worth opening up and updating settings…

I suggest you feel the 60A and then step up to 100A. I just got comfortable with 60A after a few group rides. I’ll switch it to 100A cus we are bombing up and down Twin Peak this coming weekend.

1 Like

@ksfacinelli here is a comparison of 60a vs 100a motor current limit (both 60a battery current limit @ 46v)

notice the thrust jumps from 81lbs to 136lbs (yellow line, bottom left chart – vehicle thrust pounds 2 motors)

full throttle ohmic heating jumps from 252w to 700w per motor (blue line, bottom middle chart – ohmic heating watts 1 motor).

4 Likes

Made the change already toook about 15min but thought it was worth going forward to get the most out of the hubs before fine tuning. Thanks a bunch @professor_shartsis…you the man!!!

@professor_shartsis does your chart have the capability to set the motor current as equal to the needed current for just overcome the drag? I would like to see how these hubs work only cruising in a flat surface with no acceleration

When using full throttle they seem to be crazy inefficient, but that condition only last a few seconds when ridding, só they would heat much less when just doing enough work to overcome air resistance

Thanks

@Pedrodemio According to my calculations it takes 676w electrical & 666w mechanical to maintain 30mph, no acceleration. That comes out to 11.1lbs thrust, 98.6% electrical to mechanical conversion efficiency, 22.53 watt hours per mile, 13.99 watt hours per km, 14.6a system battery amps @ 46v, 8.2a motor current per motor and ~4.7w per motor of ohmic heating factoring wind resistance & copper loss but ignoring iron loss, esc loss, battery loss and rolling resistance at constant 30mph.

3 Likes

Thanks, exactly what I wanted

it was slow after having that problem cleaning up the vacuumed and then baked in resin but these are almost done. just waiting on phase wires which I think I have to put on.
and glue magnets in and waiting for leads to come I just order off amazon.quick shipping. thought they’d be done by now. but get better each time and the bearings are all smooth and easy

I figured I can get prices for shipping online based on weight. …i’ll get the weight and post it here in a min and get shipping prices for the next sets im sending…as soon as these phase wires get here. and I should have more done by then too to go out. i’ll get all your shipping costs and message you all tonight

6 Likes

https://evilgenius180.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/hilts05.jpg

I feel like you’re almost there.

9 Likes

@caustin

@caustin build, @JLabs deck, @Hummie hubs, @Eboosted enclosure… dang! …this is trully a DIY forum with DIY members in a DIY hooby.

10 Likes

Here is a quick spin up video of @Hummie hubs on bench. The setup is using 10s4p @psychotiller battery and setup Focboxs with FOC. Have not got them on road yet due to rain however even the short time during setup as seemed to loosen the grease in the bearings. I am also running at a switching frequency of 30 kHz and 100 amp max motor current and 60 amp max battery. I think they are pretty quite no high pitch noise but you be the judge. Would love to here from others regarding setups.

11 Likes

Looks really quiet, I bet you can hear on the road with cars and etc

Oh man - these are nice. If I’d be on the market to buy some Hummie hubs, where/how would I do so? Are these the ones being sold on steelhubs.com?

Excuse me if there is some info buried in this thread that I missed. (It’s a massive thread to shift thru)

the stuff on that website is old and haven’t sold it for years, just keeping the site up to seem alive. the new motors I don’t think I have any more right now but will do a kickstarter in 2 weeks. I hope you get some then!

11 Likes

if only the escs were right beside the baseplate. that’s how I used to always do it and then the wires didn’t need any support and moved without even touching anything. this deck with the hole all the way in the middle is not as nice

Wow really… 2 weeks?

1 Like

DUDE I’M TRYING TO SAVE MONEY HERE.

3 Likes

Will all future urethane sleeves be that gray color? Seems like a missed opportunity imo to model the hub motor after green centrax and make sleeves a different color. Or possibly have Abec make a gray wheel.

20180918_142509

6 Likes

They sound pretty good. Similar to other hub motors and carvon. On the road all you hear is a light hum sound with these type of motors is my experience.

I guess they’ll start to free roll more after some use.

Also you have a red line on your wheel. I’m pretty sure it’s red. I double checked. Disclosure, I am colorblind.

1 Like