New Hummie Hubs!

I get it, ideally you want press fit on the spinning side and loose fit on the stationary side, then you can hold it with a circlip or retaining fluid

Also you wan’t only one bearing to have be constrained axially, do you have a scetion view of the motor?

yea maybe for assembly sake No section views on my phone and that would explain better

1 Like

Not just, if lock booth bearings axially, things will expand when heated and it can lock up or at least shorten the bearing life span and increase comsumption

1 Like

Yea I used to use c3 internal clearance with all bearings locked down on the old small motors n it was good even at temps up to 200f. At 200f the bearing grease would start drying up over repeated runs and that would tighten up but even then didn’t notice locking up from axial pressure and was after repeated runs. These motors run much cooler too

But if u got motors n think that one or two is tight run them anyway and test temp n feel them by hand for resistance and also try the bldc live data and get the current draw at some fixed speed (maybe 12s) and also the erpm. I did these things before n be good to see how it they fair and we can figure and then after send them back n I’ll put in another bearing n set it straight n send back no charge. It’s just like maybe 2 or 3 if u I figure.

3 Likes

i got a chance to try out @caustin’s hubs today, they’re great, and I regret selling my order. nice job man!

2 Likes

been working all day and will from now till these are done. ridiculous problems. vacuuming in the epoxy into the windings isometimes gets into the threading or on the bearing seats and takes a long time to get it off. ive tried multiple types of tape that can sustain the 300f in the oven, oil clay, silicone parts made from 3d prints…and im back to layers of Kapton tape. the stators bakes for 4 hours at 300f and is amazingly strong. been spending the whole day recovering from another huge epoxy ingression in the last stator bake. haven’t come up with a good way to seal bearing seats and the threading in the middle and still go through the vacuum and heat.

I can test the fit on every bell before assembling with the magnets and pair up the long and long and short and short so the bearings are running with their races opposite each other. worst case need to grind down a c clip a bit. its the difference between having lateral play or bearing compression. ive seen no bearing play on any of them but that tightness going the other way.

but will get about 10 sets done by tomorrow night regardless

4 Likes

Yeah, we did a quick build just to get them on the road today. Still need proper grip and to flip hanger but phase wires were so long it was easier to let them hang out the back for a trial run on temp grip. @JLabs jetspud 11s3p 30Q eboosted enclosure etc.

Lots of torque, did not have a chance to truly hammer down performance test yet. Used to a longer deck to fall off of lol

8 Likes

Which hanger are you flipping?

1 Like

man you crazy. big hubs on such a short deck. I have one too. 15371510055067755481517398415439

1 Like

Haha, yes too true. I am 6’ tall so feels narrow stance, but may replace my loaded truncated Tesseract as travel build.

Rear hanger to see if helps manage phase wire flow better.

1 Like

Ahh, I see. One side if mine is a little too far back, farther than the other. I need to figure out how to loosen it enough to rotate it some. Then I may flip the hanger as well, good idea.

Well all put together and will be doing fine tuning in the morning. imageimage ![image|374x500] inner workings image

Kevin

12 Likes

lol we have exact same setup. except I made my own enclosure.

1 Like

And I do too but with front wheel drive rode so much nicer. All the same except that and huge difference somehow. To each their own but you guys have to at least try it. I think can be switched on the bldc tool instead of phase wires

2 Likes

I will give it a try…sounds interesting. I really like how the deck feels underfoot… also does changing motor amps to 100 vs 60 and keeping battery amps at 60 change anything? I saw you recommended but not clear on how motor amps and battery amps interact?

@ksfacinelli How’s the clearance with those mounted drop through?

I forget the math details and I didn’t mess around much but 100 motor amps always worked best for me. It’s worth getting the telemetry data thing

You’ll get better Low speed torque

3” to bottom of deck 2” to bottom of enclosure that @psychotiller have available and pictured.

Kevin

1 Like