New Hummie Hubs!

I have 10mm magnets for maybe 3 or 4 motors. as it’s looking everything will go out together. there’s variables there and have to hear back from the pu places but we can at least get in at a basic level and have to hear about the details on that. the goal is get at least 100 wheels done by myself or someone immediately. the magnets are an assured 25 days and we could spend two or three days straight building the rotors with them. its all about the wheels. I can pour but…its like a nonstop process for me and this isn’t at a hobbiest level anymore.

but not necessarily 2 months and that in my mind is the far limit of what I’m willing to do with somewhere else, because then its assured that all motors will be done with possibly all 10mm mags even, and they can all go to the post office at once! that would be ideal for me. going to the post office sucks. we’d just get things to everyone by the end of the summer. I’ll tell you what I find tomorrow

the decision to get the 9mm mags and not the ten was based on a limited understanding of the motor constant km. I assumed it was one dimensional but things change and at higher loads …magic happens and the bigger magnets not only irronically have a higher kv but stay cooler and have a lot less rolling resistance. so the 9s were chosen without real world testing just on bad km understanding. mistakes happen a lot. I fuck up left and right but it gets to the good end eventually. the ten mm magnets are much nicer. really like the easy coasting and finding the fat bearings took a while to break in. and the temp difference is really noticeable being at 140f to 150f. and it just kicks it to the higher top speed at like 30mph. the best of all worlds which is really pretty weird. will figure the rubber out pronto and get you all your motors this summer. I know I thought it would be sooner, probably naively, but this will happen. motors with tires this summer.

6 Likes

Yo I want 10mm magnets for that higher top speed. Will it also mater on my 7 turners?

@Hummie looking good

Take a look at this software I found http://motoranalysis.com , freeware and should give you a few insights on what’s happening in your motor even without a background in the theory, there are a few videos that help to get the program running on the basic functions

I see you guys changing things a lot of times, rubbers, magnets, etc and imagine it must be costing a lot of money from your pocket, maybe a little bit of time spent on the design side can save a lot of money

Keep up the good work

Cheers

4 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen, you are witnessing a very public Research and Development. This is how it goes!

Hummie, you might see if you can get a significant other to sell the 9’s in bulk to someone else to double down on the 10s.

3 Likes

@Pedrodemio I’ve used that program but didn’t run a simulation comparing the 9 vs 10, but Ive heard simulations aren’t as reliable with sharp edged parts near the magnetic fields (the outside of the flux ring is 90 degree angles…but the flux ring is so thick it might not matter). ill run it and see. never seen a program that would reveal how much cogging happens or how little unpowered rolling resistance there is and that’s a big improvement with the 10s and think only real world testing would show…it was a necessity and i had to buy them in bulk to get them to make them.

i might be able to sell the magnets with stators to someone who wants to make motors. anyone?

1 Like

I’m still at the beginning at MotorAnalysis, but with FEMM you can do cogging torque you have, and the cogging toque plus mechanical loses at the bearings should give you the resistance torque of the motor

As any finite element models, the results is only as good as your knowledge of the loading, the solver, the material data you supply and the quality of the mesh. As my professor of structural analysis always said “is easy to make the results look beautiful, doesn’t mean they are valid”

What magnets do you have? I may be interested in the near future. Dimensions and magnetic proprieties

1 Like

n48sh 52x9x3mm curved on the 24 and 27 radius. stators to match. 47 diameter x52 long

1 Like

Lol, just you saying the type of magnets you got has me confused, haha. So building motors is a tad bit harder then I originally thought :wink: Oh to be young and foolish… :smile:

1 Like

Thanks

@uigiroux it’s easy to make something spin, but hard you have to keep efficiency up and have high torque on a small package

2 Likes

Well I’ll leave it to the experts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still disagree with hummie that the 9mms are better than the 10s. We can agree less rolling resistance, the heat experiment was not scientific by any means. He rode 2wd, 1 with 10mm magnets and 1 with 9mm magnets. But the motors if I remember correctly we’re slightly different Kvs to begin with.

So until he runs a predefined course the same style of riding with 2 of each and compare, I won’t say the 10mm magnets are better. I am quite happy with the 9mm magnets, a bit more torque with the 9mm also.

The other thing too is the bells are not that hard to replace. So it’s easy to switch from 9mm to 10mm later if you wanted. Just need a press, a tool for the c clip, and retaining fluid for when you put it back together, and a razor to scrape the old retaining fluid off the bearings.

I know I’ll still keep riding 9mm magnets. We are getting down to the little things that make slight differences now. The hub motors are still far better in the current state than anything else on the market in terms of power capability, torque, and quality.

7 Likes

So… Would we maybe be able to order them with 9s and when the 10s come in could we order those and have em swapped out? If we could do that, then we could also go with the thane you guys have currently and get the premium made ones later than too? Would this be something we could possibly do so we could get these much sooner? I’m doing a 4WD build, but I’d be willing to just start with a 2WD set up so only half the motors would need to be retrofitted.

I just sent molds and stuff to Aend to look at. I’m probably going to get them to do it and we could scrimp the bucks together for ten prototype molds. 5 weeks they said till they will have a run of 40 done. and another run after that and that should be close to everyone.
they pour rubber for abec and say while that formula may be controlled,( he wasn’t sure) he assures me the owner is a chemist and they have what we want in a durable 75 duro with high rebound.

8 Likes

We need ur motors, built like carvon into the trucks and made to work with @psychotiller’s rims

5 Likes

we got a wheel pourer! Aend Industries. their website is pretty rediculous and sounds like theyre also selling medicinal polyurethane too but none-the-less theyre the best. this is a better route having them do it. 5 weeks they say and we’ll have all the motors done by then too for sure and we have enough of all the parts.

18 Likes

It’s been worth the years wait :slight_smile: dribbling over these things now :crazy_face:

1 Like

Good work Hummie. Aend is top notch.

2 Likes

its a steep initial cost but syched to be out of the woods with the tires. pouring with my big toaster in the back of my house wasn’t a realistic solution, so says my girlfriend and landlord. it would’ve taken me forever.

but we’re not out of the woods yet completely and just have enough for them to start…and need to round up the bucks at the end when they’ve made them. we’re talking about 6 thousand for molds and then have to get 500 parts made and then they’re 7 bucks each! but I’m now remembering many people I told could get bigger wheels. all I can say is remind me and show me in the future some evidence of this and we can work it out. get you extra tires or give you a set of the bigger ones when that hurdle gets crossed but at this point 83mm is the start. I hope this isn’t too upsetting for people but do promise to keep pursing the bigger wheels. at least one of the molds would be done for that so easier to do.

so need bucks one way or the other. …we bought parts for 100 and with these new magnets coming in the mail in like 20 days and the ones that just showed…and a couple more stators to get…we can make 100 motors no sweat. we have the million other ingredients actually I wont go into but its there. we just need wheels done.

500$ a set with the matching abec11 centrax 83 and other v2 195 truck is what Id like to sell them for and compared to the rest of the motor industry these are a rarity in many ways and have the best ingredients.

I’m back to “liking” everything

2 Likes

@Hummie I’ve been holding out on you and even kicked the tires of the v3s…if you can pour 97mm+ thane you have my dinero

4 Likes

and I took dinero with the intention of getting those bigger wheels made for people but if we get these 83mm wheels made first, which seems appropriate and they are very nice and smooth with the 75 duro, it will be quick and assured but longer to get the bigger tires.

i’ll be spending my day looking for other pourers who maybe could do it cheaper and we could maybe get the bigger mold started now but I don’t want to gamble here and Aend has a chemist owner who wants to make their own formula for the important core part, while others places…I don’t know and will see if theyre willing to pour the materials Ive been pouring and proven good. decide tomorrow as it’s all-in with whatever we do.

ive had one person say they want their bucks back just now. I’m on very thin finances to get this done to begin with and hope people can see this for what it is, an assured way to get us the best wheels within a certain time period. we don’t have to rely on me for this monster tire production. it may be you end have to take the 83mm wheels for the present, and for the summer!!!..and get the bigger wheels later for no cost.

4 Likes