New Hummie Hubs!

for the same performance (same kv), ohmic motor heating is directly proportional to the motor winding resistance.

60a motor amps, 0.1ohm vs 0.05ohm:

60a * 60a * 0.1ohm = 360w ohmic motor heating

60a * 60a * 0.05ohm = 180w ohmic motor heating

2 Likes

Hi @Hummie, I was reading this and quickly you come to my mind. https://www.magnax.com/product You probably did know about the square cooper wire, but just in case. Seem to be nice improvement. Probably difficult to source it.

3 Likes

Ā« Shipping in 2 weeks Ā» since 8 weeks lol :wink: At least we got updates unlike carvon

Hummie is your board 4wd? Iā€™m curious how heat dissipation is being addressed as any hub motor will produce more heat internally vs an exposed outrunner because of the urethane wrap. Maybe Raptor hubs are getting hotter because itā€™s only 2wd and thus working more to propel a load. Whereas the Hummie hubs have 4wd and distributing the heat better between 4 motors vs 2.

Am I missing something? How was Uriah trashing this product?

1 Like

Trashing this product? Iā€™ve done the complete opposite of that. Donā€™t know how anyone could confuse thatā€¦?

His posts were (rightly) deleted.

3 Likes

hummie is riding 2wd, I am riding 4wd. neither of us are having heat issues.

On the raptor 2 note, I expect us to see similar temps between the 2 motors. Too hot to touch and hold is around 105 F, and thatā€™s not very hot. We are still getting 150 F going up mountains for example. But again, it really doesnā€™t matter because your losses at that temp are still quite low and it is half the temp that the weakest part can handle. Before, I would hit 270F 4wd with the v1ā€™s on my route, now I am at 110-120F with the v4ā€™s on the same route. Heat is really a non-issue at this point.

The question of heat will really come down to whether 1wd can be done or not. It might have similar characteristics to that of a dual drive of the v1 motors, which would mean ok for lighter, flat ground riders. That still needs to be tested, so so does a lot of extra pieces, lol.

Just an update on the motor side of things. We have 5 gallons of this rubber we were going to pour, in a 77-85 duro. But they found a better 75a with the properties we are looking for. And weā€™ve been riding this for weeks, wheels still look near perfect. So we really donā€™t want to pour a harder wheel if the softer stuff is holding up, which seems to be the case. The issue though, they are out of stock, and itā€™ll be a few weeks before they get anymore. Hummie is looking at other suppliers to try to find something similar, because 3 weeks is a long time. But on an update, we are up 17 pairs of motors pressed, and magnets will be here monday. We have enough winding epoxy now in hand for at least 200 motors, way more than we have parts for now, so well be dipping and do final assembly likely next week on these motors. And we have another 5 sets ready for pressing, which will likely happen today.

The next issue thatā€™s coming is a shortage of magnets. We have enough for 20 motors coming, and enough to do another 10 on hand. So we will have 15 sets fully assembled very soon. But we are talking to multiple magnet places and it looks like weā€™ll be able to get more in hand before the rubber is even back in stock.

Things are progressing and really hope we are shipping soon. The rubber is the big hold up now, but I think is worth the wait. Itā€™s very similar to the centrax wheel in feel, much softer than anything used on any hummie hubs in the past, and you really can feel the difference.

8 Likes

Thanks for the update! The wait has been almost unbearable since January but I know good things take time and these updates really do assure people, as for shipping is it going to be whoever paid first gets them first and If so can we have a list or get PMā€™d our order number?

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to know my order number as well :stuck_out_tongue:

Me as well. I have 2 sets ordered and I am very excited to try them out.

1 Like

Ohā€¦order numbers mentionedā€¦itā€™s getting close isnā€™t itā€¦i may just have my hummies before my carvons

2 Likes

you will 100% haha

2 Likes

was just building with luke and heā€™ll post a pic of what weā€™re at. magnets should be here tomorrow or Monday I forget and that part is quick n easy risk-free.

I sense a long message here but bear with me. thereā€™s two things weā€™re doing,you probably would want to know. one thing is the magnets coming are nine millimeter wide, as it was assumed, by me, that the motor constant km, was one-dimensional compared to what it is and spun at a no load speed with maybe 3amps draw the 9s might be a hair better, JUST BECAUSE THEIR KV WAS LOWER but in the 3 dimensional world where thereā€™s a much higher current draw, the 10mm magnets shine. and the bad news is these new magnets coming are 9mm. 500 or 300 I forget. I also just ordered 500 of the 10mm magnets. 25 days he assures me now that his wedding is over. prices ive gotten down to just under 20$ per motor. money is not so easy as id like so you have two options. either take the 9mm magnets or wait for the 10mm. and it will have to cost you for the difference. the 10s definitely roll much easier coasting, run maybe 15% cooler, and have the higher top speed. I cant go into the details on speeds and it would depend. Now that my bearings are loosening up the 10s roll really well unpowered and I can get some video up for you showing. to me the 10 rock for all the reasons above. I want you all to have them. we cant afford to throw the 9s away though. but forget it and lets deal in the present where considering the rubber isnā€™t available for 3 weeks thereā€™s no real wait for the 10mm magnets at 25 days because there arenā€™t tires. with the ridiculous surprise of not being able to get the materials to pour for a vague three weeks Iā€™ve been looking back into getting tires poured. Iā€™m talking to Aend and I think can get them pouring what I have or possibly their soft stuff and other materials for us and really just got back into looking at it and then thereā€™s the option of me just getting the core stuff for the wheel, which that at least is available, and pouring this 5 gallons of this harder rubber. I donā€™t want to do it and lhad planned to return it and now mores so for the big raising of money to get Aend doing the wheels. I can do these lesser wheels, or even some other harder stuff thatā€™s iā€™ll have forever regardless, or can do the better stuff in 3 weeks, or can get all materials returned and go for the pros. Iā€™m no pro. I can do it but would rather pass it off as soon as possible anyway. really couldnā€™t get anyone to do it because the core material had to be tested firstā€¦and now it has. so tomorrow hopefully I can tell you what they say as far as how long things would take.

but thatā€™s just what I think now and donā€™t let me move you one way or the other and tell me what you want to happen and I can get cracking open the big can of lesser stuff in days when weā€™d have the core stuff. but given my track record so far maybe should stick to motors and leave that operation to pros. it all hinges on how long Aend will take. and iā€™ll hit up that other place here in cali too. lambada or something. it was in the works like a year ago now and let it drop till we knew what would work

Lets take it step by step and Iā€™ll tell you what the pro rubber place timelineā€™s are hopefully tomorrow.

5 Likes

The purpose of the truck is to be a heatsink with fans to disperse heat so that makes some sense.

So if Iā€™m understanding that correctly, basically itā€™ll be 25 days till the good magnets come in. In the mean time the other hold up is the thane, and your going to outsource it to some pros, with the hopes that they can finish around the same time as the magnets, and then just put it all together and hopefully weā€™ll be ready in about a month assuming all goes to plan?

Edit

Also, if others donā€™t want to wait, they can have their motors sooner if they go with the smaller magnets and thane you pour yourself. Correct?

Take notes carvon this was a 10 minute post but reassures the customers and keeps everything honest

4 Likes

yea pretty much you got it all

(Iā€™m no longer liking everyoneā€™s posts!!! but I like them.) after so long Iā€™m coming to not liking liking! assume I like everything in this thread as well as every

8 Likes

So the progress, just to continue on what John has sai. We pressed a few more tonight, up to 38 motors pressed and wound. These will be dipped soon and finished and more are being wound now and Iā€™m sure all of the motors we can have will be done before rubber can arrive or we can get wheels made.

Onto the order numbers, I was just bugging John about this tonight because business wise, everything is a giant mess. All of the info is scared between PayPal, emails, and pms. What Iā€™m planning on doing tomorrow is going through PayPal to compile a list of all of the orders since thereā€™s no way for us to even know how many have been sold at this point. What I am thinking of also doing is having everyone fill out a quick google forum that I willl collaborate with the PayPal data I will compile tomorrow. With all of this, I can get the orders organized so everyone gets what they had agreed to when purchasing the motors. But Iā€™ve been putting that off because we havenā€™t tested any other higher kv winds and weā€™re in limbo now with the wheels, whether to wait for this stuff or get it poured for us (which was always the end goal, itā€™s just hard to get through that initial cost). This is why itā€™s important for us to compile the data and make sure we donā€™t get into a situation where we over sell the amount of motors we have parts for. Iā€™m confident we havenā€™t hit that point yet but itā€™s getting close.

So again, more waitingā€¦ there is stuff to do in the mean time so these motors are not going to be delayed by too much more than they would have even if we had wheels right now. But the wheels are a minor set back and the end of may at this point seems like a best case scenario which is also unlikely. If we do get wheels made elsewhere, I can see it taking some time, 1-2 months most likely. But they will be nicer wheels and maybe we can even get them to match, which would be cool.

Ok, with out further a due:

10 Likes

Thatā€™s ok you donā€™t have to ā€˜likeā€™ my posts, lol. Iā€™ll still like yours haha. Ughhhh, damnā€¦ So you guys donā€™t have any 10 magnets at all? The motors that are being shown is just the stators pressed on the truck, so Iā€™m guessing they arenā€™t inside the motor can as thatā€™s where the magnets arenā€™t?

Man that really sucksā€¦ So Iā€™ve been planning on a 4WD build, so I gotta add another $80 to it nowā€¦ Why did you guys order all those magnets if you werenā€™t sure they were the ones that performed the best? Also now it might be another 2 months evenā€¦ Uhhhhh, soul crushingā€¦ I know you guys are working hard and want to get us the best possible products so donā€™t feel bad. Thatā€™s just really bad news to find outā€¦ Crap, a 4WD build already was becoming crazy expensive, lol.

Sorry for the sob story, Iā€™ll be ok, lol. Well, as always, thank you for the update. I imagine this wasnā€™t fun finding everything out, so I know at all really appreciate you guys keeping us in the loop, good or bad.