New Hummie Hubs!

I appreciate the time, energy and effort that goes into these little weapons, I’ve already put myself down for a set but could help stump up the cost for materials cost making a few sets of elite…I think @Hummie and @uigiroux have an interest too?

Well done guys

3 Likes

I can be down for this

Yes I’m definitely interested. I kinda torn at the moment though. I ordered a set of Carvon’s, and I think they are a very smart way to power a board, but I keep seeing them being beat to hell with minimal use, lol. I think I am going to request a refund, and apply that money for a set of Hummies, silver windings would be sick AF!

There is a market for the ‘destroyer’ package, Wonder if the acoustics are different with silver :ring:

I want to twin a pair of hubs with the LaCroix board for this summer and hit the road Jack

Lol that’s exactly what I thinking! Though I wanna do 4WD! If it’s worth doing, it’s definitely worth over doing haha.

1020 carbon steel, there was a reason for it, used in motor shafts typically ah :wink: - 51.9 W/mK…presume that’s the Steel used in all the steelhubs parts

So what are you proposing… Sorry I just woke up, not thinking 100% lol.

Well a silver wire option, would like 90-95kv and 97mm thane…only looking for 2wd @Hummie @evoheyax what do you think of this?

90-100 kv is exactly what I’ve had in mind, and with the silver wires, damn that sounds perfect!

Does anyone know the dimensions of the stator??

I was thinking 80-95kv would be ideal for hubs. What size battery are you planning?

12s6p most likely… Maybe 5p Perfectly fits in the Lacroix board enclosure.

I probably would want 107mm thanes though.

oh, I don’t think that these hubs will work great with the Lacroix though.

did hummie specify the Axel size?

Honestly, I don’t think more cooling is really needed. Will do more tests, but I feel comfortable rating these at 1500 watts con, and 2500 watts burst without heat issues.

I was doing 1500 con in the one video I posted a while back on that long 6 block fairly steep hill, that I did 3 times back to back with no breaks. Just up and down as fast as possible (still did over 25 mph up that steep hill). The old motors would have been over 250 F by then. On the first go, they got up to 145 F, second 150 F, and third go, still 150 F. Everything in these motors are rated to 300 F or higher besides the bearings. But opening these motors are so easy now that you need a few basic, cheap tools now to replace the big bearing, some of which any DIYer would have. These are no doubt the easiest hub motors on the market to service. Theres really no wasting any parts anymore. They can be 100% fixed if you manage to some how break them, haha.

Bear in mind, this was my wind, which had a .060 resistance. Hummies wind, which is these, have a .030 resistance, which simply means way less heat. This also has about 30% more copper than my wind (by weight), so these are going to stay cool under pretty much every circumstance.

This is meant to be an elite design already. We will continue to improve where we can over the coming years. But these motors already have so much attention to detail already. All of the other hubs I’ve seen have thin bells. You want more metal rather then less behind the magnets. These guys are heavy, fully assembled, about 5 lb per motor before trucks. But they are robust, durable, easily serviceable, and very powerful motors that are designed, hand wound, and assembled in San Francisco with a lot of attention to detail.

The last piece of the puzzle is the core/wheel right now, which we feel confident will be solved in the coming days. We have everything we need to make them happen, just getting these darn cans open is not easy, haha. In the mean time, more motors are coming together.

More magnets have been shipped, about 2 weeks out. In the mean time, winding and pressing! I can knock the all of bells out in about a week once the magnets arrive. The winding and pressing should be almost done by then!

6 Likes

I agree that these hubs don’t have a heat problem, but regardless, the lower you can keep the heat, the better they will perform. Additionally, and I don’t know how this will effect things, but silver is more conductive I believe, so the electrical pulses going to each phase is done so quicker… Don’t quote me on that exactly, but it’s something to that effect.

As is that’s true, an adapter is needed to get the truck degree back to a flat plane, ok that will raise the height a little but given the lacroix board was designed for 8" wheels it’s not a biggie, I like the ones @Sender posted.

Oh and if you see the lacroix board being pumped in their vid you can see how it can probably touch down in the middle scraping that beautiful Carbon layer nooooo!

Definetly want 97mm thane tho

Any current generated which doesn’t end up as heat ends up as power. It’s ok with me but want 2wd and 97mm+, 4wd is just too much on battery even a big battery for not too much gain. I woulda liked 107mm but understand that it won’t happen realistically on a 2wd

Oh well that makes sense. I originally planned a 4WD Carvon build, cause that would add another 10mph, but I don’t need to go 50mph, I would be happy with around 35mph to speed. Of course that’s not my primary concern, I want very strong torque. You don’t think there would be a big difference in torque with these hubs in 4WD as opposed to 2WD?

If you want huge torque then 4wd would give you that for sure, at twice the cost in ESCs as well