New Hummie Hubs!

whats the plan with your picture? the magnets don’t have any glue on them as it is. what glue you going to use? how did you come to choose the two magnets for each pole? or more so how did you chose the magnets width?

luckily with the bigger magnets I can stick in a 1.3mm shim between each magnet and with the glue under it it slides up to its neighbor. equal distance from each other, pressing the last one in, and also straight, where I think a lot of motors will use just one guide on one side, including myself with 9mm magnets, and they skew. your thing looks good in that regard. so maybe never make that thing and stick with abs toothpicks. making a guide on the single end with abs I did for smaller magnets and isn’t so good and has to be cut out after warping from baking the glue.

The magnets in the picture are already glued in place with Loctite 648. It’s quite easy to glue them in with that stuff as it is very liquid and doesn’t set unless it is squished between two metal pieces. Also it is rated for +180°C. I choose the size of the magnets mainly because I could get them the cheapest as N45SH. Custom made ones didn’t make sense for that small batch as I’d have to upfront a lot and wait until they manufactured them. The smaller magnets also give a more consistent airgap in theory. The magnetic field seems to be relatively laminar for the first 1mm as well, but let’s see once they run.

11 Likes

Do you know what a “halbach-array” is? :wink:

Wonder if 3M VHB tape could never used? Super strong (used instead of riveting) can withstand 150c for bursts and lower temps accordingly

Jup, initially wanted to use one, but I couldnt get the sizes off-the-shelf to make it fit. But I’d like to see it side by side to a normal arrangement.

3M has actually special tape for motor magnets, but didn’t find a supplier.

1 Like

How many Watts do these hubs have? Also, is it recommended with 10s or 12s?

Are your magnets curved or flat? Also, is each pole a single, wide magnet, or two thinner magnets glued/connected to one another to make it the width of what a single wide magnet would be?

I can see on the pic directly above it’s four magnets, two wide, and two in length. Would it be better to just have one CURVED magnet that fits the dimensions of the four?

Also I know we discussed this in PM, but if requested, could one order one of your sets with magnetic silver wire for the stator windings…? Of course for an extra charge.

haha. wow. I think the silver wire is very expensive and might have to get more than needed but I’ll look it up again and am interested in doing that. has a nice blue glaze to the silver.
that pic isn’t mine and I use a single curved N48sh magnet. 300f temp max. 200c max wire.

Oh awesome. Well I am very curious as to just how accurate some claims are regarding using silver wire, as well as the better performance curved magnets produce…

Did you figure how many Watts your hubs have?

With regards to the extra cost in using silver magnetic wire, from what prices I’ve seen, it doesn’t seem to be terribly expensive, in fact I thought it was rather a reasonable enough price that I wouldn’t hesitate to give it a shot.

maybe youre reading what is copper wire with a microscopic silver coating like they do for gold with bullet connectors. link me a silver wire place if you find one.
but those benefits of 30% are bunk. the real value is I think 5% greater conductance or 5% less resistance, whatever way you want to say it. it’s something but …if you find me a wire place…or I’ll show you the one I will find and it’s not cheap and somewhere in Europe. curved magnets and getting a close airgap are worth doing. get as much magnetic field build up as you can so that you can then wind with the thickest wire you can and have lowest resistance there…almost all our losses and heat are from the current in the wire. so silver wire I like

Ok I’ll find a few pure silver wire and silver plated wire as well. What gauge, length, and width do you normally buy and how much do you pay for it? Please provide link :slight_smile:

is it magnet wire though? it need to have insulation. If you search 17 awg 200c magnet wire you will see what I use.

actually it’s like 8 percent more electrically conductive

http://www.elektrisola.com/en/conductor-materials/silver/ag9999.html

Remember that the power loss is proportional to the square of the resistance so the 30% efficiency improvement figure sounds more reasonable

Nah Fam, depending on which constant you take power is either directly or inversely proportional to resistance, 30% sounds too high, you might get that with ultraconductors or carbon nanotubes but we are a while away from that

How can power lost to joule heating ever be inversely proportional to resistance? Seems counterintuitive Unless you mean power as a function of voltage instead of current? I agree it’s linear though, too early for my brain. P=I^2 * R

1 Like

Its also important that the image talks about heat build up, not just efficiency. The thermal conductivity of silver is about 5-10% greater so it will redistribute the heat faster.

1 Like

So… It sounds to me like it’s definitely worth trying at least! I’d pay the extra cost for silver windings if it was offered, absolutely…

1 Like