NEW ESK8 Controller 1.1 based on V 4.12 little bit smaller

Nicely done @esk8! Will be nice to see some builds with this ESC!

The exact diameters was: L 77mm, W 68mm, H 20mm on the side where was the Elko´s and on the side where was the cable only 16mm. So i think we have build wit the ESK8 1.1 the smallest housing. And 95gr. weight.

1 Like

I know FOC isn’t officially recommended, but what are your experiences so far on it? I really fell in love with the (lack of the) sound of FOC while i fried my 4.12 :smile:

1 Like

Love the compact design, though I’m just curious what the difference is between this and the VESC 6 or FOCBOX?

Looks sweet as bro! :sunglasses: How many cells in series & motor amps are you recommending this for?

edit: found it bro

Summary: 8V – 60V ( 3s to 12s LiPo) max. 60.000 ERPM 50A continuous current, up to 240A (for some seconds) FOC (Field Oriented Control) with automated motor detection via USB and BLDC-Tool, IMPORTANT: FOC is still in development, please be carful! Implementation of FOC only on you own responsibility and risk. Integrated BEC 5V 1A output for external electronics (converter integrated) Size: ca. 72mm x 68mm x 19mm Current and volt measurement on all phases Regenerative breaking Sensored and sensorless operation User interface for Windows, OSX and Linux Updates through USB connection via BLDC-Tool SW no passive or active cooling required (depends of course on your usage)

Because the ESK8 1.1 controller is based on the V4.12 I have also adopted the values. precaution. I can not say exactly how the Vesc6 and the FOCBox are different. For all three, the direct fets are used. But I have not been on the FOCBox and on the Vesc6 The TDK capacitors SMD2220 with 15uF / 100v Also the caps are with FOCBox and Vesc6 2x 680yF / 63V The SMD 1206 is installed with the FOCBox But I do not know whether 10uF / 50V or 4.7uF / 100V And there are 9 pieces on the FOCBox. We use 14 pieces SMD1206 with 4.7uF / 100V. And the caps we have used 1 x 680yF / 63V and 1 x 1600yF / 63V This reduces the current fluctuations to the minimum Vesc6 have 3x shunt FOCBox 2x ESK8 1.1 2x

Everything else can only be answered by the BOM list. Regarding the components where the difference is

1 Like

Vesc6

FOCBox

ESK8 1.1

2 Likes

Hi, whats actually the reason for using two antispark. Would one for both VESCS (ah sorry ESK8 Controllers) get too hot ? and whats your experience with the 40A Car Fuses do they handle high Current bursts well ?

greets

Notger

Does anyone know where the UART TX and RX Pins are on this one? Couldn’t find them on mine through trial and error :smile:

1 Like

It seems that the esk8 controller 1.1 can deliver more power than the regular V4.12. So if you have dual system and ride uphill with full throttle the 40A fuse will blow (after 10 sec. receiving 60A). It’s possible to solder a bigger fuse to the antispark but maybe it gets the bottleneck in the end that’s why I’ll use 2 antispark switches as well, the on/off switch is connected to both PCB’s in parallel.

I have another question @esk8, I can’t find info about the assignment of PPM pins. Where is (-), (+) and (s) located? Or just show a picture with connected servo wire, thanks!

When you looking in front of the 3Pin the GND/black was on the right side and the White comes beside the USB

1 Like

@esk8

I bought two. Is there a pinout chart available somewhere? I do not want to connect things in reverse :stuck_out_tongue: Canbus should be easy enough (just take the two middle pins), however receiver/ppm could be tricky.

1 Like

All your questions are answered with the 2 pics above :wink:

Ah, stupid. Thanks!

@esk8

I received my two units today. Sadly, one (or several) wires are soldered incorrectly. The + wire simply came loose after test fitting the unit, which required slightly bending the power wires. By judging how easily this one came loose, I doubt I should trust the solder job of the other wires…

Does anybody know if these cases can be opened without causing damage? I am seriously not in the mood for a return shipping for something that I can easily fix myself.

P.S. Never in my life have I been able to remove a properly soldered 12AWG wire…Even with an FPV race drone flying 120 km/h into the ground with the lipo being flung forward.

1 Like

Damn… that`s poor soldering…