Electric Skateboard Calculator | ESK8 Calculator - What size, Motor, Battery, Wheel, Belt to use?

Haha, sorry. Just want to explain my thinking.

A “Motor max current” box would be ideal.

So remove the Motor Max Watts box and add a Motor Max Current box?

I think, but I’m not sure, that most motor manufacturers give max lithium Series count (12S etc) and maximum wattage. Though I don’t trust the maximum wattage numbers too much.

So “Motor max current” would be difficult for some users, I think

2 Likes

Very true. I just don’t know of an easy way to find a compromise between “difficult for some users” and “no magic constants” :smiley:

You only need to know one formula… P= U * I or P= V* I …

That’s kind-of true

First, expecting the next n00b to know that is pushing it a tad far.

But the other thing is what happens when you start adding duty cycles and it’s not “on” 100% of the time

1 Like

Yep, you are right. But if you were to replace the wattage with the current box it would be the easiest formula… :slight_smile:

Site is down. I get an https certificate expired error. Won’t let me bypass it.

2 Likes

@Kug3lis your https/Let’s Encrypt certificate expired… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Something with the distance calculation is seriously off. A 12s3p lipo @12Wh/km gives me only ~16 km of range and a 10s4p (same Wh/km) doesn’t perform much better???

That sounds about right to me as your lipos are probs around 5ah so a 12s3p should get better range than a 10s4p

He’s using lipos in the 12s3p tho so it should really have better range

@anon42702729 are you talking about figures the calc gives or real world? The calculator divides your range by how many motors you have so it’s not very accurate

Depends what you call accurate. You enter your ESC avg. Wh/km value you get from most apps and it multiples it by 2 if it runs dual setup and technically ur motors shouldn’t consume more than 5% difference from each other then it uses it to divide battery Wh capacity for avg. range.

3P lipo of what kind capacity 10Ah 1Ah or 1kAh? There are options to specify the capacity of the pack which multiples it by cell count in pack and how many are in series and how many in parallel. If you don’t enter correct input values don’t expect correct results.

This calculator is just to give general idea, u will never have that torque neither u will have exact ranges or any other values.

1 Like

I am talking about the values the calculator spits out. I get about 15-18 km real world range on my Raptor 1 DIY (16/36 gearing, 6354 motors, 10s3p 7.5ah). Hence, with a 10s4p pack (12.4 ah), I’d assume to get somewhere around 25 km real world range.

For my new build, I am using a 12s3p (3x3.7ah ~11 ah) lipo battery. I would expect, this should get me bit more than 20 km at 12 Wh/km? The specs for this build are:

• dual motors 170KV
  • 18/36 gearing
  • 100 mm wheel size
  • 12s3p (11ah) lipo battery

Negative, 10S4P has better range

I was assuming 5ah lipos and 30q cells

Just want to thank you @Kug3lis for the new cool calc im using it several times per week but never thanked you Great work:+1:

2 Likes

@Kug3lis Just thought I’d mention that by default ublock origin (my ad blocker) is blocking content from sentry-cdn.com, and that stops the calculator from working. That didn’t use to be the case previously, so either you made some change that introduced this bug, or sentry just wasn’t counted as a malicious tracker before :man_shrugging: