Electric Skateboard Calculator | ESK8 Calculator - What size, Motor, Battery, Wheel, Belt to use?

I second the left hand side container to be sticky. Its annoying to scroll up to make changes and then go down to see the results and on and on.

thanks. good work :slight_smile:

@neiru37 @pat.speed @mutantbass I implemented the sticky left side should work in all latest normal (edge/ie will suck probably)

2 Likes

Awesome work! Wish I had this when planning my build last spring.

2 Likes

what’s the watt hours per mile?

You need to find battery current. Then you should be able to work out watt draw. Then travelling at 72mph it would take 0.0139 hours or 50 seconds. So multiply the watts by 0.0139 to give wh/mi.

Lol you probs already know how to do that bit

Can you consider adding the option for selecting a custom battery chemistry? A123 nominal voltage for example is 3.3v and that LTO battery is <3v nominal. It would be nice to be able to select custom battery chemistry and enter in your own nominal voltage so you don’t have to select one of way too many other chemistries, just the most common esk8 ones or enter a custom nominal value.

you could put something to tell you what earrings can go up and something to select between pneumatic and urethane wheel

Great calculator

1 Like

Added overview screen and some more freedom units thanks for contributing (@b264)

https://calc.3dservisas.eu/

5 Likes

So for a 10 Wh system I should put 5 wh to get accurate measurement?

Hey hey @Kug3lis thx for the great new calc :+1::+1: So the range calc is correct? Do i need to select 1wd even when i got a dual system ir not? Kr

Range calculator depends on your average Wh/km 1wd is for single drive, 2wd is for dual motors and 4wd is for 4 wheel drive.

Average Wh/km I took from old calculator its how much one motor consumes power so the range is calculate Battery Wh / (Motor Count * Avg Consumption)

2 Likes

Ok got it thx

Feature request: acceleration!

Or rather, since everyone’s weight differs, force of acceleration, calculated from the max torque and wheel diameter. F = torque / radius. That way people can mix and match combinations to find a suitable one for their desired acceleration.

1 Like

Wouldn’t a=f/m work too? I honestly have no idea that’s just how I’ve been shown got to calculate acceleration from force (Nm) and individual mass (kg)

Using that formula my acceleration (m/s^2) would be a =16.2/60

a = 0.27m/s^2

What’s yours?

Edit: Idk if the max torque shown is wheel rotational force or forward movement. Now I think I get why you used that equation. Would you need to do that one before doing the equation I did?

Any input :thinking:

Because higher voltage means less current needs to flow to reach the same amount of watts. Thus less current means less torque. You must adjust the watts up to the new amount based on your voltage :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ah, so if I was planning for 30a on each motor for 10s, would you recommend 35a on 12s?

I was speaking to @deucesdown and (please, anyone, if I’m wrong, don’t heckle deuce) he made a comment where range seems to benefit off of increased series numbers, but wouldn’t the need to readjust the values to achieve the same amount of torque effectively negate the effect of increasing the series number?

Thanks for the answer Pat

It’s only on this calculator that you must adjust the watts because the max current is not something we can just enter it is calculated from max wattage and pack voltage.

In the vesc tool however you just enter 30a and it will only pull 30a

Example

2000w /36v = 55a

2000w/44.4 = 45a

1 Like

Roger Roger, thank you

1 Like