New designed a motor mount for sale, looking for review

+1 for the cros bar design, would buy.

When you have a really thick section suddenly change to a thin section, that can make it more easy to bend. A better way is a slow change from thick to thin. Or add a Rib on the thin part. This can make it stronger even with same material.

As for the support bar, you could just offer a long size, if its too long for some people they can just cut in down shorter themselfs.

3 Likes

now the bending will happen on this line, how to make rib? QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720181026150217

I admit its not easy with your design. Maybe make it a bit wider at the end and flat. Then put ribs in red.

1 Like

Something similar to this, but ribs don’t need to go around.

1 Like

clamp That design requires a clamp and increases cost, i think dicky wants to keep it simple and cheap. But the design looks nice. Could change it easy to a clamp system.

That’s why it’s just an example of the front bit. Not saying and never said it should look like this!

yeah all good, just pointing it out.

like this? maybe a little too big, either hit the deck or the ground… QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720181027002935 QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720181026230300

2 Likes

What if you only include a rib on one side?

that way need to make a right version and a left version, otherwise will look wired when installed dual mount. I rather make the thickness to 6mm, then solve the problem. just many people will possibly having the issue of not enough space for dual motors…

3 Likes

They can always use 9mm belts

i like @anon42702729 design idea, i mean you pay for the material anyway and there is quite alot of wasted material that is just beeing cut away. Or am i missing something?

for CNC machining, Material is no money at all. I was have the thought of make the mount 12mm overall. quite strong enough. QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720181027015414 QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720181027015339

7 Likes

@dickyho see with your supplier the price of 2024 aluminum, it’s the first choice when you need a structural lightweight component since it’s way cheaper than 6061 or 7075

But also the thickness is the main problem here, you can make it with 7075-T651 and it will probably still bend

I had the same problem in my first mount and it was 6061-T6 6.35mm thick

As you said, the expensive thing is machining and material, so go thicker that’s the cheapest way to make it reliable

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks, you are the expert, will check that!

1 Like

it looks like titanium is the perfect material for motor mount, hard, strong, heat conducting, light weight…, wondering how expensive people can affort for it…

5 Likes

For people that want to reverse mount, the best way would be to just extend the length of the motor mount section that allows for the crossbar to be installed directly without needing an adapter piece. I think the best solution is to use a better material such as 6 or 7 series aluminum, if you look at Torqueboards mounts they are pretty thin but they use good quality aluminum so they don’t bend.

And a nightmare to machine compared to aluminium.

I’ve never took a deep loop at the various titanium grades, but the price would be very high with little benefit, but would definitely look cool

1 Like