New designed a motor mount for sale, looking for review

Is the first picture one that you took? If so, it looks like you have an older mount. I’m going to run out and check my belt alignment, although I’ve only put about 20 miles on my mount so far.

1 Like

I took that picture from OP just for illustration purposes, the second picture is the one I took. my mounts are likely from a recent batch as they shipped out on September 19th. I think the issue is just the strength of the material they’re made with, the design seems pretty good. I have my motor pulley less than 1 cm outwards from being flush to the mount which might add a little bit more torque onto the mount itself, but I didn’t expect that to cause any problems, and its necessary because the can of my motor moves up and down slightly

Why do you have your pulleys so far away from the mount? Is it an option to get the mount closer to your wheel pulley? Like you mentioned above, I wonder if your belt being further away from the mount is creating leverage.

How many miles on your mount so far? And what kind of belt tension are you using?

2 Likes

I understand your point about aluminium. Looking at the 2nd pic, I think you have mounted your pulleys too far away from the face of the motor mount. the tension of the belt is going to pull the motor mount outward over time for sure. closing the gap between motor pulley and the mount, I not saying it wouldn’t bend but it should be harder for it to fatigue and bend outward. Im leaving only about 1mm gap.

2 Likes

Also, correct me if I’m wrong… but aren’t those motors supposed to be used with the with pulley covers that have the integrated bearing? I was under the impression that the pulley cover prevents the shaft from shifting under force. Not saying that this would have prevented your problem, but might have helped…

Video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3HHv_oW_Io

I have 2 of these motors:

It has issues with the can of the motor moving as described in this thread: The pulley being too close to the mount causes it to scrape, so a simple solution was to move the pulley outwards a little, it doesn’t seem unreasonable that the mount should be able to accommodate this. The added stress of it being less than 1cm outwards shouldn’t bend it so significantly in such a short time IMO, I think it just highlighted that the mounts are weak around the part where the motor clamps on to the mount.

I measured it and the pulley is 8.3 mm from being flush with the mount. Someone better at physics than me could probably figure out how much torque that would add, but it doesn’t seem like much to me

1 Like

the pulley covers don’t work with my motor pulleys, they’re meant for the hobbyking pulleys. The shaft moving under force isn’t really problem to me as the magnets of the motor and the tension of the belt prevents it from moving too far so I just let it be.

I was just about to post, I am having the same issues of the mounts bending. I am running 10s2p dual 6354, so no crazy torque, yet after around 30 miles mine are pretty bent. I’m going to try and install a crossbar Monday, I will post photos if that goes well. The design of the mounts are nice but like others said, the material is too soft/the metal too thin.IMG_20181019_161901

1 Like

ok since the material is softer, it could be because of high belt tension that these mounts bent. i almost have 80km on mine and no bending.

longer belt will result in a larger force that bends the mount (more levrage to bend), could also be a factor. But it smells liks some modification is needed in the design :slight_smile:

a switch in material would fix it easily.

You want to keep ferromagnetic materials away from the motor tho, if you can. I like aluminum.

i like aluminium too. 6061 would be overkill, but there are some other weather resistant aluminium alloys which are cheaper.

Mine is starting to bend, too. It explains why I’ve had to re-adjust my belt tension more often than with my previous mount.

1 Like

I’m running by belts very loose because I have dual idlers, they move about a third of an inch when I press on them. Just enough to never have belt slippage. I just think they’re not designed to handle the stress.

that makes no sense, your belt transfers only forces in belt direction, perpendicular to the motor, so the length doesnt matter, only the width or the distance of the motor pulley from the mount.

why that? If you want to refer to the oddy current brake, that works with every conducting material…

1 Like

Well, what Im trying to point out here is that the further the motor is from the truck. The bigger levrage to bend the mount. Maybe that didnt Come across.

Since the bldc motor is a spinning msgnetic field, any ferromagnetics could cause an interference. In The mounts case its at the end of the field and really not intercepting, so its probably fine. But still.

That length shouldn’t affect anything, what would affect it though is how far out the pulley is on the shaft.

Ugh, this is really frustrating to see. These mounts shouldn’t bend so easily.

I have dual 6354 motors and dual idlers, my belts are loose and so far they seem ok BUT haven’t put that much miles on them! 10-15miles

But what I can say is that the metal is very very soft. These issues would be resolved if the material was switched for something little harder. I can’t see them lasting too long!!!

I will keep an eye on mines hope they stay straight.