New build EMTB Texas Trampa, Leopard 8072, Esc?, Batteries?

Good that you went for the TB-12S ESC !!!

I have TB-12S and VESC on my 2 MBS builds and comparing the 2 ESC for this application the TB have a real advantage on off-road situation, it will deliver the power more aggressively wich give that dirt bike feel to the eMTB.

On the other hand the VESC will shine in acceleration on the pavement and the brake implementation will extend the life of you pneumatics.

Just got my esc and can’t figure out how to hook them up, I thought I knew what I was doing:grin: I ordered one esc with the BEC option and one without, so one esc has 2 wires the other has 1. My confusion starts there because how do I hook up my reciever? no matter what combination I do the reciever will not power up.I had to order a Y cable due to mine did not come with it or any instructions and now I am stuck, will someone look at this picture and tell me what I have wrong?I hooked the second esc up and it was DOA, the light comes on but the motor just twitches.For some reason I can’t get Dexter to respond to my emails so hopefully someone here can help me.

the problem is that the ESC is opto so none of those cables have any power. you’ll need to connect the UBEC to power up the receiver.

Of the 2 cables one is for programing and the other is the receiver cable

One more suggestion Get a couple of fan and install them on top of the heat sink of the ESC. it will save it from overheating if you have too much fun off-roading. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats kind of what I thought, I ordered this esc with the bec option added so I thought one of the wires would be the power. I took my meter and tried to test it but there is no power, on the DIYESKATE website it says that the ubec will no longer come separate and will be built into the esc. This is why I am so confused and when I asked Dexter about it, but I cannot get an answer from him. When I get home I will post a picture of the esc side by side so maybe you spot something wrong. Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah Dexter tents to take some time to reply. :imp:

I notice that your lipos are laying on the flat side of the cells. i recommend that you put them laying on the narrow side. that way the vibrations won’t damage the cell that will otherwise be at the bottom of the pack.

Ok I hadn’t thought of that I will defiantly do that if I can ever get it working.:relaxed:

This is what I am working with, one esc has single wire the other dual wires.

The wire that’s missing is the signal wire on that ESC. @torqueboards have a look.

Hi @Menwaylo. The one on the left with (1) 3 pin wire is with an SBEC included. The photo looks a bit backwards. So the UBEC is built into this ESC. This is a new change in the ESC which we sell now. No longer is the UBEC separate.

Thanks for the reply Torqueboards So I am guessing this is the proper way to hook these up to the receiver.

Yup, you got it. You should be fine like that. Maybe, wrap some ferrite rings around the ESC Signal Wires.

2 Likes

Nice to see that got resolve :slight_smile:

If I order two of your esc’s today. Do they both have sbec built in?

@barajabali - One is with SBEC one would be without SBEC. And/or you can get two without SBEC and add in the UBEC if you wanted.

Oh okay I understand now. I will be ordering soon likely once I run into some more cash. This trampa costs more than a semester of college

1 Like

A little update I have both esc working and they seem to be hooked up properly and both esc’s have been programmed the same except there is a problem. One motor spins at low rpm really good and the other will not start till the throttle is pushed halfway. I did notice that one of the esc has an additional program option that I did not have on the other, it is called : start power and has a value of 1-100. I am wondering if this is why the motors are not at the same speed. One thing is for sure the instructions that came with these esc’s was rubbish and I have gotten very little help from the seller.Here is a picture of the setting I am referring to.

I am assembling the same setup. Can you program both ESCs at once or do you have to switch the cables and just match the setting on both separately?

Yea I wondered the same thing but the only way I see it possible is to use Y splitters due to one side of program card is for power, I think. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will chime in. I think I might have two different versions of firmware or something like that because its weird that that setting is missing from one of the esc. Hopefully it is an easy fix I cant wait to ride this thing. I was going to upload a quick video of the problem but now the esc will not respond no little green light.(thats another thing only one comes with a power light, the one with SBEC for anyone ordering ) so that adds to me not knowing what to do next. There has to be something lose or faulty for it to sometimes turn on and sometimes not, it wont work even when the battery is connected directly to it. One thing I did notice is when it did work it was warmer than the other one and the green light had a red light right next to it. Any ideas to fix this let me know Thanks.

One ESC might have a different Neutral Range setting 3%, 5%, 7%, 9%. I would set it at 3% for both.

One side being power shouldn’t be any issue.

What are your version numbers for each ESC?

The esc that will power up is 1.00_150818 If I can get the other one to come on again I will write it down.Take a look at these pictures and tell me if you see anything not right.Not sure if this would cause them to not power up though…

1 Like